Has anyone read anything by Anthony Burgess?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Randolph, Oct 10, 2002.

1. John Randolph

John Randolph Stunt Coordinator

I read A Clockwork Orange and loved it, and now I am starting "The Complete Enderby". What are your opinions on his books?

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I have the uncut (international) edition of Clockwork and I recommend it with the caveat that, if you like the cautionary ending of the U.S. edition and the film, you might be slightly disappointed with the "original" epilogue/ final chapter.

3. Rain

Rain Producer

I've only read 2.
    A Clockwork Orange was one. I actually prefer the film, which is pretty unusual.
    I've also read Earthly Powers which I found rather boring and extremely pretentious.
    That's just one guy's opinion.

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

In the original version Alex, after his "recuperation", once again joins up with a gang only this time they are all bald (fashion trends change after all) and his underlings are slightly younger than Alex is and is soon showing signs that he is growing tired of the gang life.
    After awhile he is caught looking at pictures of "droolie like babies" and you get the impression that Alex is outgrowing his violent youth and a chance meeting with one of his old gang members, who is now married and starting a family, brings up the final idea that his violence was just a "youthful indiscretion" and perhaps violence is something that can be outgrown & overcome with maturity.....I understand what Burgess was trying to say but I think it is overly-simplified psychology and slightly wishful thinking (odd for a man of advanced intelligence as Mr. Burgess) and it ruins the dramatic thoughtful impact of the "cut" U.S. version of the novel that the film was based on.
    He goes into detail in the preface about how he believes that his U.S. editor cut out the final chapter because we Americans love violence and a hopeful ending was apparently passe'. The editor in question chimes in with his own small preface denying that he cut anything and stating that the manuscript he received from Burgess was the one that they printed.
    This is all from the 1987 reprint that I found awhile ago at a flea market. I believe it is still in print.
    You can find it at amazon.com Here, be sure and read the back cover.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I re-read the two prefaces and I felt I should come in and revise my statements, the editors preface does not exactly state "that the manuscript he received from Burgess was the one that they printed", what it says is the two men have differing memories of exactly what was the "original" ending. I believe I read the part I quoted in a magazine sometime ago or perhaps on the web in a discussion, if anyone has better/ more accurate info then please correct me.

6. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"A Clockwork Orange was one. I actually prefer the film, which is pretty unusual."
    I've read the book too, and I agree on that remark as well. I'm sure being the fact it's Kubrick has nothing to do with it. [​IMG]
    Jason

7. Rain

Rain Producer

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer