Has anyone mounted F Proj. in between cieling joists?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bill>O, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Bill>O

Bill>O Auditioning

I am preparing to have a screen and Front Projector added to my family room.
    Unfortunately, my spouse would prefer that the projector be invisible, including not having a custom ceiling box protruding either.
    I searched and found the Premier Gyrolock ceiling / wall mount,
    Based upon their specs I figure that I can open the ceiling, mount the mount on the floor boards or a cross brace between the joists, and swivel the projector almost entirely up in between the joists when not in use.
    All I need to complete the opening is a suitable flush mounting door.
    Has anyone done this?
    Any problems foreseen with this approach?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    I saw something similar in use in a church gymnasium. The projector was mounted on a remote controlled shelf that dropped down when in use and retracted afterwards. The ceiling material was attached under the shelf to create a flush appearance. Sorry, but I don't have any details on how it was done. (Now that I think of it, they may have had a winch, but for home use I would think you could use something similar to drop down attic steps.)

Ventilation will be important, but should not be a problem as long as you allow for complete cool down before you return the projector to it's home in the ceiling.

3. Bill>O

Bill>O Auditioning

Actually, I have seen several of these automated drop down systems, but the prices are higher than the cost of the projector I plan to use. That is why the Gyro-mount idea is so appealing, the cost is similar to other cieling mount systems, under $200.
    The one unknown is just how far it will drop in the down position, but it should be enough to allow for adequate ventilation, I will make sure of that before installing it.