What's new

Has anyone else not had Fixblast work for them? (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine, who has XP, has the Blaster worm. I went there to run Fixblast on their computer but the program can't find it. I know the computer is infected with it since before the computer shuts down (which doesn't always happen) a Norton popup window will come up saying that the blasterworm is detected. I have disabled system restore and run fixblast.exe in Windows safe mode. Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't "msblast.exe" supposed to show up in the task manager under processes? Well in this case, it's not.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff

Kevin P

Screenwriter
What's happening is your friend isn't actually infected with Blaster, but it's trying to get in from outside, which is causing the crashes. On occasion when it does try to push its way in, Norton is blocking it. However, the real issue is that a patch needs to be installed on the machine to secure it from Blaster. The easiest way to get the patch is via Windows Update. Or you can download them from these links:

Windows XP patch for MS03-026
Windows 2000 patch for MS03-026

There is another worm going around, called Welchia which also uses a IIS WebDAV exploit to spread. Install this patch to block this exploit:

MS03-007 patch for Windows XP
MS03-007 patch for Windows 2000

Also I highly recommend that your friend get a firewall. If he's using broadband, have him get a broadband router. If on dial-up, use a software firewall like Zone Alarm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks