What's new

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (Parts I and II) discussion (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If that is true then I'm a little disappointed. It's like Harry didn't really do anything at all. The film makes it look like Harry was holding his own meanwhile his ability to stay with Voldemort was reduced to his wand acting erratically.

Actually the most significant thing Harry did was willingly sacrifice his own life for his friends, even though he didn't wind up dying. This act of self-sacrifice put a protection over his friends in the same way his mother's sacrifice protected Harry from Voldemort (at least until Goblet of Fire).

bradleybruns

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
"Just a question for the experienced Harry Potter fans/readers." Here are my theories. This a combo of book memory and inference. 1. Harry "let" himself be killed in the forest. So the Elder Wand was indeed honoring his wishes. Harry was able to come back because some of his blood was actually in Voldemort's veins, as described at the end of Goblet of Fire. In a crazy way, Voldy was Harry's Horcrux. and / or.. 2. The Elder Wand favors Harry, but only slightly. Harry still needs to put up a reasonable fight to deflect its killing curse.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The whole wand hierarchy is a tough one to wrap your head around, so I don't know how they can explain all of it effectively in a movie. I've had to read the book a few times and read others' analysis to more or less grasp what happened. In any case, Harry is unequivocally the master of the Elder Wand, so V's killing curse wasn't Harry deflecting it with skill or the wand "favoring Harry slightly." The wand simply refused to work against its master, so the killing curse backfired onto Voldemort. While this might seem disappointing that Harry wasn't able to defeat V. on sheer skill or power, it also shows that there are greater forces at work than even the most powerful wizard can comprehend. To me this is much more profound than a duel won through sheer skill.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
To generate a Patronus charm you have to find your happy place and it manifests as an animal related to whatever that memory or feeling might be. Harry's is a stag, which is the animal his father could transform into. Harry's mother's Patronus was a doe. So Snape's happy place came from his memories of Lily Potter and effectively his undying love for her. The two were friends as children, but grew apart as he became involved with Voldemort, but when she was killed it changed everything for him. Snape's story is perhaps the most touching and tragic, at least in the book.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I just went and saw it for the second time with the kids tonight. It was still captivating as the first time I watched it. I thought the 3D was a tad clearer in the regular screen vs. IMAX.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I finally watched the movie. :)

A thought I kept having was how understandable is this for those who haven't read the novel? Trying to see it objectively, I don't think Voldemort's spell rebound was particularly clear for those with a movie-only experience. I think the waters got muddy due to the wand arcing special effect, making it appear that Harry's spell overpowered Voldemort's. In the book that moment happens as quickly as it takes to cast a spell, so the notion of a spell "ricochet" seems more clear. With the wands connecting and then resisting each other it seems like more of an arm wrestling match or tug-of-war than what it was supposed to be. Also, I'm not sure if the killing curse has been represented in previous films the way that it was in this last one, which I think could have made things more clear. I think there's something to be said for having Voldemort merely keel over, lifeless. It would have been the ultimate humbling of this evil character, to be reduced to a lifeless shell, the ultimate sign of the mortality that he fought so hard to avoid. The disintegration - while visually appealing - just wasn't very satisfying because of its more supernatural qualities.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
As someone who has read the book but forgot most of the details of what happens at the end My impression was Harry was only just holding his own until the snake got killed. I accepted this was down to the explanation after that the Elder Wand should have been Harry's and in effect was working against Voldemort. I assumed had Voldemort been using a different wand he would probably have won that duel. Once the snake was dead the impression I had was by the way they represented the colours of the spell and how they worked onscreen - the killing spell (havent they always been represented as green?) was rebounding back towards Voldemort and killed him whilst Harry's spell (the red one :) ) to disarm also worked. Someone care to remind me what happens in the book ?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In the book Neville beheads Nagini as soon as he pulls the sword from the Sorting Hat. Then the battle continues with Voldemort and Harry finally facing off. Harry vs. Voldemort is much less action packed with the two circling each other in the hall and Harry explaining Voldemort's mistake about who is master of the Elder Wand. Voldemort casts his killing curse, and Harry casts his disarming curse. The two spells collide and Voldemort's rebounds back on him and the Elder Wand flies out of his hand to Harry's. Voldemort falls dead, his body intact but lifeless.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
You mean the hero gets to monologue instead of the villain ?:) If that's what happens I can sort of see why they went for the more cinematic ending. I also think Voldemort could come across as stupid for casting the spell when he knows that the Elder wand doesnt truly belong to him - much better that he only realizes when it's too late

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think it's good that they spread the Elder Wand / Snape exposition out, but I still think how they handled Voldemort's actual death took away quite a bit of depth from the event. I'm curious now whether Rowling had anything to say on the issue, as I think her making Voldemort falling with a "mundane finality" with his face "vacant and unknowing" (i.e. dying just like anyone else) was a perfect end to the character. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I thought the big battle was weak with a few high points, and it lost all its energy at the final duel. Voldemort's death had to be public. Remember, he's disappeared before and come back, and everyone who knowing nothing about horcruxes is going to start trumpeting his return as soon as they can scurry back to their dark hiding holes. Even though we know he won't, I can see Voldy being a bogeyman that will have power in their imaginations. The Death Eaters needed to have their noses rubbed in his large, ripe carcass. I missed that after several years and many trials, Harry finally got to read Voldy the riot act for his arrogance and stupidity -- a great part of the book. Also, does Harry even know in the movie that Nagini is dead? That's a pretty big piece of the puzzle, and they seem to have left it to chance. All in all, it was mildly unsatisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks