What's new

Warner to release all 8 Harry Potter Films to 4k UHD in 2017 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are the first four films a significant improvement on UHD over the BD release?
I haven't watch any Harry Potter movie in its entirety whether in a movie theater, on blu-ray, TV or 4K/UHD disc.:blush:

However, I did watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on 3-D Blu-ray and 4K/UHD discs in their entirety. Plus, spent another couple of hours comparing specific scenes between 3-D and 4K formats.

I imagine once I get all films on 4K/UHD disc, I will watch all of the movies before seeing the sequel to Fantastic Beasts next year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I haven't watch any Harry Potter movie in its entirety whether in a movie theater, on blu-ray, TV or 4K/UHD disc.:blush:

However, I did watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on 3-D Blu-ray and 4K/UHD discs in their entirety. Plus, spent another couple of hours comparing specific scenes between 3-D and 4K formats.

I imagine once I get all films on 4K/UHD disc, I will watch all of the movies before seeing the sequel to Fantastic Beasts next year.
Okay, thanks. I rented Fantastic Beasts and didn't care for the film, so the UHD of that title doesn't interest me at all. I am only interested in upgrading the Potter films if there is a major improvement from the Blu-rays. Even then, the price will have to drop quite a bit before I would upgrade anyway.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, thanks. I rented Fantastic Beasts and didn't care for the film, so the UHD of that title doesn't interest me at all. I am only interested in upgrading the Potter films if there is a major improvement from the Blu-rays. Even then, the price will have to drop quite a bit before I would upgrade anyway.
Well, if you look at my post I noted I watched Fantastic Beasts, but I never commented about the film itself or whether it's video presentation was any better in UHD over 3-D. I just noted I haven't watched any Harry Potter movie in its entirety except for a related Fantastic Beasts.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, if you look at my post I noted I watched Fantastic Beasts, but I never commented about the film itself or whether it's video presentation was any better in UHD over 3-D. I just noted I haven't watched any Harry Potter movie in its entirety except for a related Fantastic Beasts.
I realize that. I was just giving my impression of the film.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I bought all 4 Potter films separately on UHD. I think the first two films are significantly improved in regards to image quality compared to the blu-ray release. I think they did a new 4K scan on them. The rest of the series seem to be obvious up scales from the existing 2K DI's and the scan quality isn't as good as what is currently being done.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
The regular blurays of the first films are not good by today's standards, and I was hoping the new ones were new 4k scans. :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought all 4 Potter films separately on UHD. I think the first two films are significantly improved in regards to image quality compared to the blu-ray release. I think they did a new 4K scan on them. The rest of the series seem to be obvious up scales from the existing 2K DI's and the scan quality isn't as good as what is currently being done.
I guess you and RAH disagree about the quality of the video presentations.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ry-potter-years-5-7-in-4k-uhd-blu-ray.352044/

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I was interested in the first 3 films.
That review is for films 5-7.

I thought the BDs for the first 2 movies were decent but not great. I liked the image much better for "Azkaban".

WB sent me the 1st 4 4Ks the other day so I'll be watching them soon!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
From Ralph Pott's, from AVS, review of Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets:
"For their presentation in Ultra HD Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone/Chamber of Secrets were rendered from 4K scans of the original 35mm film negatives, and the results are impressive. From a cinematic perspective, these films were shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind, and that comes through in each presentation. These easily best the 1080p versions, offering imagery that lifts the vail. I wouldn’t describe either as overtly colorful, however, there are elements, such as the Quidditch matches, shots of London, and the Weasley home, where the palate of autumn based hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red/green benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing slightly warmer and pleasing to the eye. Resolution gets a noticeable boost as well. Close-ups and mid-level shots offer improved refinement and deeper resolvable texture on surfaces and physical features when compared to the Blu-ray."

"I think that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets benefitted from the Ultra HD treatment. The improvement is as close to night and day (compared to the Blu-ray releases) as I have seen since I began covering the format."

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Are these prices for the 4K/UHD or an actual 35mm print?
I also wonder if Warner realizes that in real life, such commanded monies do not come as magically.
Indeed, such prices will place most of us in Potter's Field.

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Are these prices for the 4K/UHD or an actual 35mm print?
I also wonder if Warner realizes that in real life, such commanded monies do not come as magically.
Indeed, such prices will place most of us in Potter's Field.

Wow, I never realized I could get a 35mm print of a movie for between $22 and $30, or an 8 film collection for under $20 a piece?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. $18.75 each is a lot? :wacko:

I’m about to pull the trigger but just waiting a bit to see if any last minute Black Friday deal pops up.

Sounds like a bargain to me.

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched The Goblet of Fire tonight, and I thought it looked terrific. Very happy to have this UHD disc in my collection.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The full set of all 8 films is currently on sale for $79.98 via Amazon Prime Day. Yes, in UHD. Trigger pulled.

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That was a great deal for anyone who likes these movies.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was a terrific deal. Too bad I had already started buying some of them individually with a different (of lesser value) deal.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
For anybody interested in actual resolution differences or their absence:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/index.php?s=harry+potter

I find many Warner UHD titles to be underwhelming in this aspect and detail in brighter parts of the picture seems to go missing at least with displays that do not go much beyond 1000 nits. Sony is still king of UHD catalog releases and Paramount is also better based on the average quality of their releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.