What's new

Harry Potter Series in Development for HBO Max according to Hollywood Reporter. (1 Viewer)

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Maybe I'm just trying to give myself an out on Rowling (or Polanski or Weinstein, etc., etc.) but I'm a firm believer in "Love the work, not the jerk."
To further support what Travis is saying, Rowling didn't make these movies by herself. I suspect thousands of people contributed to the eight films. She's not the only one getting points, either, I imagine. I could better understand not reading Rowling's books, but for me at least, the movies are a different kettle of fish. That said, if I stopped reading books and seeing movies created by artists I disagreed with, I wouldn't be reading or seeing much. The likely truth is, a lot of artists I love might secretly be racists, or misogynists, or whatever. Obviously the so-called boycott of the new Potter video game failed. Life's too short anyway. I want to enjoy myself. That said, as much as I love all things Potter, if you gave me a choice to meet Rowling or another writer with no baggage known to me, I wouldn't meet Rowling.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Rowling didn't make these movies by herself.

You are correct. While they are obviously based on her work, I don't think she did much on the original films. She certainly didn't write them. Steve Kloves is the screenwriter on all of the Harry Potter films except for Order of the Phoenix. (That one was written by Michael Goldenberg because Kloves wanted a break after doing four in a row.)

Rowling probably made herself available to the cast and creative team as needed. I know she had casting approval in her original deal. But she was working on the later books while the first movies were being made. The Goblet of Fire novel was published in 2000. The Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets movies were released in 2001 and 2002 respectively. The Order of the Phoenix novel was published in 2003. Etc.

Now, obviously, she was more involved in the Fantastic Beasts series. She is the sole credited screenwriter on the first two films and co-wrote the third film with Steve Kloves.

But this is also true.

if I stopped reading books and seeing movies created by artists I disagreed with, I wouldn't be reading or seeing much.

Yes.

Everybody is going to have a different answer as to whether they want to support a controversial celebrity. You just need to be okay with where you are directing your money.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is not directly related to the television series, but it is very much Harry Potter related. So I thought I'd post here in case anybody interested in this thread didn't know. It isn't a new novel, but there is a new Harry Potter-related book out next week called The Harry Potter Wizarding Almanac. It is being published by Scholastic (in the United States) and Bloomsbury (in the UK) and is an official companion to the book series.

Scholastic's American edition cover:

81-Xl24uwyL._SL1200_.jpg

and Bloomsbury's UK edition cover:

91R+TwTEtYL._SL1500_.jpg
I don't really know much about what will be included, but there are seven illustrators listed as being involved on the Amazon product page. I'm guessing it will be fairly elaborate and at the very least awesome to look at. I have my copy pre-ordered.

There's also a new edition of an old book this week. MinaLIma (the team who did a lot of the design work for the Harry Potter films) has their illustrated edition of Prisoner of Azkaban out now. This is of course the same text that Prisoner of Azkaban has always been, just with new illustrations and included items. The first book included a fold-out printed version of Harry's Hogwarts letter. I think this one includes the Marauders Map. I haven't gotten the MinaLima editions yet but I've heard good things about them from people who have them.

71NaVwWsRDL._SL1038_.jpg
To be totally clear here, I'm not posting this in an advertising capacity or trying to tell anyone what to buy. I just thought some fans here might want to know about these.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I’m assuming that if it's based on the 7 HP books, then the “premise” is already known, and that the writers are just pitching how they would bring the tales to life.

As opposed to creating new stories, etc.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thought WBD's MO is to cut costs and shift away from expensive, scripted shows/commitments... :P

Probably don't wanna invest too much interest/attachment to this even if it actually happens... as who knows if they'll just cancel abruptly at any point if it doesn't become a sustained smash hit or something... :P

_Man_

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m assuming that if it's based on the 7 HP books, then the “premise” is already known, and that the writers are just pitching how they would bring the tales to life.

As opposed to creating new stories, etc.
No new stories will ever be created without JK Rowling intimately involved. Never never ever!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No new stories will ever be created without JK Rowling intimately involved.
Rowling is involved. She is executive producing the series. I don't personally want new stories though. Fantastic Beasts botched a promising start and descended into garbage and Cursed Child is even worse. I wish WB would just leave the franchise alone and let it have what remains of its dignity. I'm perfectly happy with Harry's story ending in Deathly Hallows which we already have, and I'm not excited about a remake. But if they have to continue to use the IP, at least they know the original material provides a solid basis from which to work because they've done it once already.

However, I think the article is badly phrased. WB has already said that the series is going to be adapted from the novels that already exist. What they are looking for here has to be the different approaches each writer would take in the adaptation process and what their vision for the series would be. It is also important that they find someone who they want to work with for the next decade or so because, if it is successful, this will be a very long commitment.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also imagine there's something in the contract between WB and Rowling that WB has to continue to produce projects based on the IP or the rights will revert to Rowling if they're left idle for any length of time. So they need to put something out at a regular interval to maintain their access to the HP world.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I also imagine there's something in the contract between WB and Rowling that WB has to continue to produce projects based on the IP or the rights will revert to Rowling if they're left idle for any length of time.
I don't think so. My understanding is that they bought out the rights to Harry Potter in perpetuity except for publishing (hers) and theatrical (Cursed Child.) I think.

However, Rowling must also approve everything that they do. That is definitely in her deal because she wanted to ensure that they wouldn't make sequels that weren't based on her sequels. So she will have some creative control for the rest of her life.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was responding to the statement that writers may be coming up with new stories themselves.
I think you're right about your earlier statement. It seems to me based on what we know that Deadline did a bad job expressing this.

We saw in the film series that Chris Columbus, Alfonso Cuarón, Mike Newell and David Yates directed their respective installments with their own style. The films still feel like a consistent series, but they were able to guide their individual installments in different ways.

My guess is that the writers who are currently meeting with WB are pitching what would make their take distinct from another writer's take on the same material. WB will ultimately go with whoever's vision most aligns with their goals for the series.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Variety has an interview with Channing Dungey. She is chairman of Warner Bros. Television Group. This quote reconfirms that the show is going to be based on the books and what they are doing right now is looking for the showrunner.

Variety interviewing Channing Dungey said:
Of course, the announced “Harry Potter”/”Wizarding World” series, to be produced by Warner Bros. TV for Max, is a high priority for the entire Warner Bros. Discovery conglom. As revealed last year, each season of the “decade-long series” will be based on one of the books in the franchise.

“We’re in conversations with a number of different writers to figure out who’s going to be the person to lead that franchise for us,” said Dungey, who noted that any rumors that casting is already under way are inaccurate. “The first step for us is figuring out who this showrunner is going to be and once we get that locked down, then we can start having those [casting] conversations. The tricky part is the first two books, where the kids are on the younger end, around 11 or 12.”

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just watched A Haunting in Venice with Jude Hill who had a Potter-ish look and seemed like a decent Irish actor. Though he may be a bit too old, turning 14 this year, especially if filming is still a year or two away.

1705961996756.png

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Just watched A Haunting in Venice with Jude Hill who had a Potter-ish look and seemed like a decent Irish actor. Though he may be a bit too old, turning 14 this year, especially if filming is still a year or two away.

View attachment 210581

Nice find!

I agree that he'll be too old by the time it starts filming. I'd think WB would want kids around 10-11 so that by the time Deathly Hallows is ready to go (if it gets there), he won't look like a 20-ish adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks