What's new

Harry Potter Series in Development for HBO Max according to Hollywood Reporter. (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Official logo

FtiHHc7XgAA9zn3

I’ll likely watch, more out of curiosity, to see how it compares to the films and the books. Hopefully they won’t add stuff that’s not in the books (like The Hobbit films) just because they have the luxury of more runtime to work with.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I'm sure my family and I will watch out of curiosity as well since we all enjoy watching the movies together. We all had a blast visiting Universal late last year and playing in the Wizarding World areas. My wife and daughters have read all the books and all of us except my son play the new Hogwarts Legacy video game.

When I told the family about this series being announced, they all had the same reaction I had, WHY? They all said it is just going to be weird to see other actors in the main 3 roles. Young fans who only see the show will go to the theme parks and say that is not Harry, Ron or Hermione. These movies have become timeless classics IMO and this would be like Disney+ remaking the original Star Wars trilogy as a TV show. Why not tell new stories with new characters and expand the universe, like the Hogwarts video game?

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I'd agree with this. The franchise isn't telling the story I wanted to see. I wanted to see Newt Scamander studying and having adventures involving fantastic beasts, not a political drama with Dumbledore and Grindelwald. First movie was OK. Didn't really like the second. Still haven't watched the third.
That is where I am on them. Add to that a lead actor (Redmayne) I don't find to exceed "meh".

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think this is a fantastic idea. The opportunity to expand the stories in a way the films never could. The books are rich with many scenes and characters (PEEVES) not in the films and I look forward to seeing them brought to life.

The films of course will not change and will remain the classics they are regardless of how this series will be.

I'm looking forward to it.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
From the article - "The stories from each of Rowling’s Harry Potter books will become a decade-long series produced with the same epic craft, love and care this global franchise is known for."

So, 10 seasons? 2 seasons each for the last three books or perhaps 2 for Goblet and 5 covering the last three books (perhaps Order and Half-Blood Prince both being 1.5 seasons). Just details, but I can't help but wondering.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From the article - "The stories from each of Rowling’s Harry Potter books will become a decade-long series produced with the same epic craft, love and care this global franchise is known for."

So, 10 seasons? 2 seasons each for the last three books or perhaps 2 for Goblet and 5 covering the last three books (perhaps Order and Half-Blood Prince both being 1.5 seasons). Just details, but I can't help but wondering.
I think they’re saying 10 years to tell the complete story, not 10 seasons. So 7 seasons spread out over 10 years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If it's like most streaming series, it will be 2-3 years between each season, so they'd better cast young-looking actors as it'll likely be the better part of 20 years before it's completed if they do all the books.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I assume Rowling has sanctioned this, although it is a surprise as she has been 'cancelled' and disowned by many of the film actors and fanbase. Marvel/Disney have discovered recently that an endless churn of more of the same leads to diminished returns. Of course if it doesn't meet expectations, the series will be canned as well. If the series is successful there will be temptation to produce new feature films.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If the series is successful there will be temptation to produce new feature films.

New films from what? This appears to be happening because they can't do any more films centered on Harry. I think this idea is creatively bankrupt, but the intent seems clear. The Fantastic Beasts films did not work. So they're going back to the source material and doing it for TV instead.

WB does not have a showrunner in place. They haven't even had meetings with anybody yet. They wanted to keep everything close to the vest until the existence of the show was announced. While I think seven seasons over ten years makes sense, I don't think they quite know what they're doing yet.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The only possible option would be a filmed version of Harry Potter And The Cursed Child which I loved

Putting aside my opinion on the material, that is only an option if JKR makes it one. As far as I know, she has never given any indication that that is something she would authorize to go forward. She seems to want that to stay on stage. I'm sure WB would love to greenlight it, though.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They'd have to recast for a Cursed Child film, as the legacy cast doesn't seem to want to work with/under JKR again.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They'd have to recast for a Cursed Child film, as the legacy cast doesn't seem to want to work with/under JKR again.

I suspect you are right, but we can't be sure. Eddie Redmayne, who played a trans character in The Danish Girl, spoke out against JKR's comments, but still returned to play Newt in The Secrets of Dumbledore. So you never know. WB could certainly ask the cast. However, they would be under no obligation to say yes.

I have very complicated feelings regarding JKR right now because I don't agree with her views, but Harry Potter has been such a major part of my life that I can't let that go. These feelings are probably magnified significantly for people like Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson. They have made clear that they disagree with JKR's views, but they also have their current careers because of the success of the Harry Potter films.

That being said, I don't think the general audience would be willing to accept a Cursed Child film without the original cast returning.

I think the TV series diminishes the chance of another movie further. It would be kind of odd to have a TV series going with a new cast and a movie with the original cast at the same time.

Of course the original films are always going to be a huge part of WB's legacy. But if they want a TV series to work, they will need to find a way for it to stand apart from the films. If the show looks and feels and sounds the same stylistically as the movies did, that is just going to make it feel like they're ripping off, well, themselves. WB is not asking my opinion here, but if they did I would tell them to make as many different creative choices in the show as they can so that it can establish its own identity.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have very complicated feelings regarding JKR right now because I don't agree with her views, but Harry Potter has been such a major part of my life that I can't let that go.
Maybe I'm just trying to give myself an out on Rowling (or Polanski or Weinstein, etc., etc.) but I'm a firm believer in "Love the work, not the jerk."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Except that by loving the work, you're further enriching the jerk.

Eddie Redmayne, who played a trans character in The Danish Girl, spoke out against JKR's comments, but still returned to play Newt in The Secrets of Dumbledore.
I suspect he was already under contract for the film and it would have been a messy and expensive lawsuit to void it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It is a tricky and emotionally fraught situation when you love something but don't love the person who made that thing. Everybody has to do what they individually feel is right, of course.

Anyway, to get back to the main point of this thread, I am extremely skeptical of this project. I understand that the point is to be able to film some of the things from the books that had to be streamlined for length. But they can't *just* do those parts. They'll have to do the whole story again, which means that this show will inevitably be compared with the things that the movies did right. While of course there are certain things in each of the books that I missed on screen, that happens with literally every adaptation. It will happen here too. The thing is that I think the movies did the vast majority of things right, which will make it really hard for this show to find its own identity.

I would essentially throw out the films and endeavor to make different choices. The illustrated editions of the books that have been coming out recently are a good example of how to do this. Mary GrandPre did the covers and chapter headings for the original American editions and those are iconic. But when the publishers decided to release fully illustrated editions beginning in 2015, they asked a new artist, Jim Kay. Then they started another set illustrated by MinaLima. None of these editions look like each other. The characters are the characters, and Hogwarts is still Hogwarts, but the creative teams responsible for the artwork in each set came up with their own interpretations. I think this is the only way the TV series will have a chance of success. If Hogwarts is the same design as in the films, and the only difference is new actors walking around the halls, that will be distracting and weird. The more they can give us something we haven't seen before, the better this will be.

But of course they already have theme parks around the world designed to look like the Hogwarts from the film, and even the little teaser video with the series' logo uses the John Williams theme music from the first film. So I'm afraid they're going to stick with the same general aesthetic, which I think it would be a mistake. I love the John Williams theme as much as anybody, but I think the television series should have its own iconic music in order to stand apart.

I also think it is very telling that WB does not have a showrunner in place already. This means that the show isn't happening because some writer came to the studio with a great idea for why Harry Potter needs to be remade. It is happening because David Zazlav and Warner Bros. want to continue to use the Harry Potter intellectual property, and they'll figure out the creative stuff later. That doesn't mean a writer can't come in and do a good job. But it does seem to be starting things off on the wrong foot.

Lastly, I hope the studio and creative team can prepare the new child actors for a lot of intense online scrutiny. Facebook, Twitter and the like did not exist when the original cast began their runs, and we know that there is a large vocal minority of so-called fans who like to bully the talent online. I'm genuinely scared of what will happen if that kind of vitriol is directed at young children. Although I'm skeptical of the show, I certainly wish them nothing but the best. But I'm not sure everyone will do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks