What's new

Harry Potter - fullscreen v widescreen sales (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Anyone have any idea how the sales on these compared (at least in the UK)
Given the release of such a high profile film for kids, and the continued threat of pan n scan only titles, I would be interested to see how this pans out (no pun:) )

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Simon,
I can't tell you how they compare, but what I do know that my local store has only the pan & crap version. A lot of movies here in Holland are P&S only lately. This is only because the J6P don't want black bars on their tv sets.
:angry:

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
I think Here in Germany only a widescreen version was released, I haven't seen a P&S version anywhere even Wallmart only had the widescreen version.
kd

adam jon

Auditioning
61% widescreen, 39% fullscreen as of yesterday's cumulative sales at cd-wow!
I manage this business so thought I could help the thread out!
But Fullscreen seems to be gaining ground - is it the DVD buffs who order early who have all the gear and want Ws and the casual buyer who goes for normal FS which is better if you have a normal TV.....
Same story emerging on LOTR - 77% WS 23% FS.......
;)

SamC

Agent
I must say I am VERY disappointed in Warner's decision to release P&S 4:3 ONLY in Australia (R4).

Imagine the surprise when my pre-order arrived and I noticed (after opening and ruining any chance of return) that it was "Modified to fit your tlevision"

Not Happy People. Again Warner Bros have shunned those that got this format off the ground and succumbed to the masses.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I've only seen the WS version for sale in Sweden. I suppose I haven't really been looking (I wasn't a fan of the film), but WS TVs are so prevalent here that I feel like a loser being without one.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Warners are copping quite a bit of flack for the P&S only release in Australia:
http://entertainment.news.com.au/com...55Enbv,00.html
It serves them right; they build up DVD as an OAR format (almost all films released on DVD in Australia, even by Warners, are OAR) and then, when the format has taken its hold, turn against the very consumers it has encouraged. Hopefully, the bad press they have been getting over this has taught them a valuable lesson.

Well sorry Warners you are wrong!, you assumed we all had 4:3 sets, DO NOT ASSUME
Lucky I got my copy from UK
Cheers
Stephen

Angsty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Warners are copping quite a bit of flack for the P&S only release in Australia:
Julian,
$2Warner have been copping "flack" since their original announcement earlier this year that R4 would be the only place in the world not getting the choice of the widescreen version of Harry.
Since then, $2Warner has ignored all email and snail-mail enquiries, and have been rude, argumentative and defensive when you speak to them on the phone and attempt to discuss their decision. Their only offical media response has been "no comment" :frowning:
What a grown-up, responsible, and customer-caring way to operate a business, heh?? :thumbsdown:
Angela

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks