Harmon Kardon information

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel T, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

I own a Harmon Kardon AVR 55. I will upgrade in the future but I just upgraded my speakers to the Axiom M3ti(fronts), VP100(center), QS-4(rears). I have always noticed that you have to turn the volume up quite a bit to get a lot of sound. I have owned other JVCs in the past but they operated the opposite. You barely turn up the volume and the speakers would become distored. I bought the H/K several years back because I heard of the reputation and sound. I have owned H/K amplified computer speakers and they seem to do the same where you must turn them up to full blast. I just want to know if this is common with H/K. I just don't want to ruin my new speakers by clipping the receiver. The receiver is rated at 55Watts X 5 Channels. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

Some volume controls on receivers are linear and some are not.
    Meaning on some, the non linear, you will reach full power at around the 1/2 way point, or maybe 80% power at 1/2 way on the volume.
    so as you go past 1/2 way, you don't get much more volume.
    Others that are linear, will increase gradually all the way until max volume. so 1/2 way is actually 50% volume.
    so to reach 80% volume, you have to go to 80% with the dial.
    The non linear volume is the manufacturer's way of making you believe the receiver has a large power reserve...
    "if it's this loud at 1/2 way, WOW it must be really powerful!"
    I wouldn't worry about the power rating on the H/K... they are capable of high current which is more important.
    And they sound great, but you may have to turn it up a bit more than you are used to in order to make your speakers sing. But don't worry.. this is fine.
    [​IMG]

3. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Hi Daniel:I went from a Pioneer Receiver to a H/K 510 and I have to say I love it.Even though I didn't have to turn the volume up much on the Pioneer to get lots of "power" the sound that the H/K produces is much warmer all around.I also have 2 Rotel amps hooked into it for my center channel and surrounds.

4. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

I appreciate the information. I too believe the H/K has a much smoother sound. I am use to the JVCs, Pioneers of the world that you barely turn up the volume and they are pounding on the speakers. I just didn't want to damage my new speakers by turning up the volume to much with the H/K. I think the next thing I need to do is calibrate my speakers.