What's new

Hard Drive Capacity Is Reported Incorrectly? (1 Viewer)

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
I have two drives that are the same model and capacity. They are Western Digital 800JB 80GB disks. One holds the OS, the other holds my data files.

Today, I noticed that the capacities for both are reported differently in Windows Explorer -- even though they are the same model. The OS drive has about 10MBs more than the Files drive.

Is this normal? Could I possibly have some kind of virus on the Files disk? I did once discover a virus on the files disk. But could I have a Master Boot Record virus? I ask, because I ran my anti-virus software, NOD32, and received this message.

Error occured while scanning MBR sector of the 3. physical disk. Error reading sector.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
No -- One is NFTS and the other is FAT32. Could that be the reason? If so, that makes sense!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be suprised if the difference was because of clusters sizes.

B

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Different File Systems have different File table sizes. That is likely the cause of the mismatch.

brentl, cluster size would only affect space remaining on disk, not total space on disk.

That's not a good thing. You don't want errors while trying to read the MBR.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the MBR thing has me worried. I am trying to get some resolution, but I'm not sure where to turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks