What's new

Happy Accidents on DVD -- WHEN?! (1 Viewer)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
One my favorite movies from 2001 (#4 on my list of 58 thus far), starring Marissa Tomei, is STILL nowhere in sight. Does anybody have any additional info on it? You'd think that after she was nominated once again for an Oscar, people would be asking more for her titles, but I've yet to hear of a release date for this wonderful film.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean; every once in a while I plug it into Image Entertainment's "advanced search" and get nothing. Jason Whyte mentioned something about a Canadian DVD release sometime this year in another thread, but that was months ago.

Boggles my mind, it does - audiences absolutely fall in love with this movie whent they see it, but getting it to them is jinxed somehow: Paramount Classics backed off it, IFC initially only opened it in NYC (filmed there) and Boston (the director's from here and popular locally), and only expanded it to LA and other cities after it took off, it got booked for a lot of limited engagements, and now no video release almost a year after opening in theaters.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
It looks like MGM will be starting to release IFC films on DVD. If Big Bad Love can get a DVD release, I'd think the more marketable Happy Accidents has to be in the works.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I know what you mean; every once in a while I plug it into Image Entertainment's "advanced search" and get nothing. Jason Whyte mentioned something about a Canadian DVD release sometime this year in another thread, but that was months ago.
There was to be a Canadian release by Seville Pictures in May but that got pushed back when IFC Films made their deal with MGM. According to my studio contact "they have to wait untill fall to go with the US release".

The specs on the Canadian disc were not all that impressive to begin with so this may be a good thing.

Here are those specs (note anamorphic isn't mentioned nor is the sound configuration)

·Letterbox (1.85:1) Presentation
·Theatrical Trailer
·Trailer Gallery
·Talent Profiles
·Photo gallery
·Interactive Motion Menus

I'm sure it would have been 2.0 surround but usually Seville mentions anamorphic transfers in their press releases. Hopefully this delay will be a good thing.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Dana,

You know that I too am waiting to get my hands on this movie, not only too see it again, but to get a chance to show it to friends! I'm really hoping to see this film and the IFC film "Go Tigers" (the one about the nearby town of Massillon, Ohio and their obession with high school football, you might recall the trailer played before Happy accidents when we saw it in LA).

I'm really hoping these discs get a decent release sometime this year!

-V

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Definitely remember that one, Vince!

Man I wish I had this sweet gem of a film on a shiny disc in my player right now!

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Just an update on the Canadian release. It is now scheduled for October 22nd. Sadly the disc specs haven't changed and there is still no mention if the disc will be anamorphic.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Vince,
Didn't we see this film together during the last HTF LA meet??

I hope we can trust MGM to put out a decent 16x9 transfer

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Yes, WE did John :) (You, me, Vince...was there a 4th?)

'Twas a wonderful film (with a better performance from Tomei than In the Bedroom, in my opinion) and I've been anxiously awaiting this DVD!

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,

Go Tigers is already on DVD. I saw it at Best Buy today. I didn't pick it up because I didn't have enough money. I work at Hollywood Video and we got Happy Accidents yesterday. I took it home but have yet to watch it.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I don't believe happy accidents comes out next tuesday. I think its a week from next tuesday atleast from my dvdempire order it says 12/17. It could be wrong though but my order didn't ship yet.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, guys! I somehow missed that this was (finally) being released. I remember how you were all raving about this film in L.A. and I've been anxious to see it ever since. I'll be renting it next week.

Rob

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Rob,
Yeah..
This was a damn good underappreciated film.
Too bad it didn't do half of what Greek Wedding did.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
John,
Agreed 110%! This was Marissa's *better* work of 2001; I only wish the Academy had considered this work over In the Bedroom.
P.S. -- haven't BS'd with ya in a while, whatcha been up to? PM me when you have time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks