What's new

Hannibal prequel on October 4th! (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I saw the trailer today in front of Reign of Fire. I forgot that Norton was in it.

Based on the trailer it looks to stay just as true as Manhunter did at least, and in many ways appears to really be just a different version of the exact same film/story.

Sorta seems redundent, but then now the story will at least get the recognition from the masses without putting them off with some of Mann's 80s style (which I rather liked).

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Rollie, I had heard that Foster didn't want to do Hannibal because she didn't like the screenplay.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Is it just me or is Ed Norton's hair a little 'distracting'? I just keep thinking of my Beastie Boys Anthology and the Sabotage video. ;) Maybe Norton should be wearing a pair of mirror shades and tapping his temple before pointing at people a lot. :D
I'm quite looking forward to this. SOTL was pretty good; Hannibal was just dull; Manhunter is really not my thing but then I don't like Mann's direction.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Saw the new trailer before Signs and I really dug it. Red Dragon is becoming one of my most anticipated releases.

-Dean-

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Anthony Hopkins (old & fat, he's still Hannibal Lector)
Ralph Fiennes (Frances Dolarhyde)
Harvey Keitel (Jack Crawford)
Edward Norton (Will Graham)
Mary Louise Parker (Molly Graham)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (Freddy Lounds)
Emily Watson (Reba McClane)
Anthony Heald (reprising Dr. Chilton)
What an unbelievable cast! I was caught by surprise with this trailer, I did not realize a remake is extant...and while I was lukewarm on Hannibal, I will go see this one.

I cannot remember a film with a cumulative cast of luminaries and talent of this degree. Almost everyone here commands respect and attention with their screen presence. Something's gotta come out right with this mix.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I had heard that Foster didn't want to do Hannibal because she didn't like the screenplay.
That was the original explanation, but apparantly they re-did the script and she liked it. Jodie then backed out of it again because she wanted to direct Claire Danes (who was available the same time they wanted to start filming "Hannibal") in "Flora Plum".

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I can hear Don LaFontaine's voice (he does the trailers) now...
"from the director of the Family Man and Rush Hour 2"- cut to Ed Norton muttering spoiler dialogue
:D
I'm glad they're not doing this, as it gives a bad impression of waht the film will be like. It's like advertising Schindler's List as 'from the director of The Lost World.' Although true, that makes no sense.
Just saw the new trailer- WOW. Some very strong potential here.
Nathan

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
I think they must have done the CGI work on Hopkins now, because he appeared to be a lot younger (at least in some scenes)... or is it just me?

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I'm really looking forward to this movie. A great cast and a good story, and I never liked "Manhunter" much (way too much 80's "Miami Vice" feeling).
It's pretty funny that a couple of you mention the Miami Vice comparison, because prior to directing Manhunter, Michael Mann was writing and directing epsiodes of Miami Vice! :D
8^B

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I'ma lso looking forward to this.
As much as I like Michael Mann's works Manhunter was just boring to me.
The funny thing that I also think that, Brat Rattner[Family Man was just a drag] is just might be wrong for this film,but the great cast and Ted Tally may save this movie after all.
BTW Rattner was just named to replace at the helm MC G, of the upcoming[really?] Superman Lives movie.
Does this mean we'll get Charlie Sheen as Superman?;)

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I have very mixed reactions to the upcoming "Red Dragon". I really enjoyed "Man Hunter". It wasn't perfect, but for it's time and even today, it's pretty good. I saw the preview of R/D the other day. Many of the scenes were very similar to those in M/H. For some reason those in R/D just kinda turned me off. But here's the funny part. I never saw "Obres los Ojos". I absolutely loved Vanilla Sky. Many people that saw OlO first, hated V/S. I have the feeling I will echo their sentiments with these Lecter movies. It seems like if you love the first one, you'll hate the remake, but if you see the remake first, you love it and don't care for the origianl as much. I think that's wierd.

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know -- just saw it last night and I found it able to coexist nicely with Manhunter without competing for superiority. I suspected with the cast involved that this was going to be more than a rehash/cash-in, and despite a good chunk of the film mirroring Manhunter (by necessity of course) it was a major surprise to me just how good this flick is.

There are some things that Manhunter pulled off better than Red Dragon, but the opposite is true as well. Some of the characters have a bit more to chew on, and the efforts made to tie it in with "Silence" definitely worked out well.

I saw it in a group of four - two who had seen Manhunter and two who had not. Everyone had a great time. And it more than made up for the huge disappointment that 'Hannibal' turned out to be. Lecter remains much scarier behind bars than running free doing everything except eating people!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes this is looking good - it'll be interesting to compare this with Manhunter - which I liked.
And then there's the nice bonus of seeing the TTT trailer as well!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks