What's new

Hannibal prequel on October 4th! (1 Viewer)

DarrenA

Second Unit
Well, a remake to the sleeper Manhunter is coming to theaters on October 4th! This was Thomas Harris's first novel containing Dr. Hannibal Lecter so this is actually a prequel to both Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal.
It will be interesting to see how much is followed or even borrowed from the Manhunter movie or if they follow the novel closer this time around.
In any event, the trailer is available for download...
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/red_dragon/

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A double prequel and a remake all in one...that beats out The Scorpion King being a prequel to the sequel of a remake.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Morgan,
I think I just traveled through time by reading your post. :confused:
Can't wait for RD. I was a fan of both the movie and the book, and I always enjoy seeing Edward Norton in action.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I don;lt want to see this movie around my birthday. I rather see something else then this.

JACOB

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, Jacob, fortunately going to a movie is still optional. :)
I'm really looking forward to this movie. A great cast and a good story, and I never liked "Manhunter" much (way too much 80's "Miami Vice" feeling).
/Mike

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's got a good writer, a good cast, a good technical crew (although Elfman is the wrong composer for this), but a dreadful director (Brett Ratner of Rush Hour 1 & 2, Money Train and The Family Man "fame"). Maybe the good can overcome his liability.

It can only hope to be as good as MANHUNTER, easily the best of the "Lector" films...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah...I hope it's as good as Manhunter too. But I must say, I love Brian Cox as Hannibal...call me crazy, but I liked him even more than Hopkins.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I also call it close between Cox and Hopkins (SotL version). I love Mann's work and while the film does still have a tint of the 80's on it, it also has Mann's craft behind it.

An older, heavier Hopkins playing a much younger Lector...that should be good.

I will have to be talked into seeing this one at this point.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I really liked Manhunter - excellent cast. Did remind me a lot of Miami Vice though. Pretty sure there was one episode where Crockett went through the same mind trip that Will Ferrell did in Red Dragon.

Cox gave a good performance especially considering how little screen time he did have. Hard to compare the performance of the two considering Hopkins has had much more screen time available for his portrayal of Hannibal.

To me though nothing beats Hannibal's first appearance and coversation with Clarice in SOTL. That whole sequence was exquisitely done.

It will be interesting to see how much screen time Hannibal gets in Red Dragon.

After the bad taste Hannibal left in my mouth hoping this one will turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Is it me or RED DRAGON has the exact same story as Silence of the Lambs? I remember reading maybe half the book and stopping because it was way to similar to SOTL.

Anyway, great cast, nonetheless.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
An older, heavier Hopkins playing a much younger Lector...that should be good.
I read somewhere that Hopkins lost weight for this role.
I'm skeptical about this too (mainly because I don't know that director Brett Ratner can pull off this kind of material), but I don't think I can resist this cast:
Anthony Hopkins (old & fat, he's still Hannibal Lector)
Ralph Fiennes (Frances Dolarhyde)
Harvey Keitel (Jack Crawford)
Edward Norton (Will Graham)
Mary Louise Parker (Molly Graham)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (Freddy Lounds)
Emily Watson (Reba McClane)
Anthony Heald (reprising Dr. Chilton)
That's a killer cast - I mean, a movie with a cast like this can't completely suck, can it?? ;)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Fred,
The main difference I saw in the book was
The movie is more about criminal profiling based on Will's abilities and being at the scene. SotL was so much more about Lector interacting with a neophyte that he appreciated and helped to solve a crime. It's more a coming of age story.
Also, Lector is antagonistic to the main character and his support is entirely malicious in nature.
The only thing in common is a killer on the loose and Hannibal being involved. Of course, considering Hannibal has involvement with Francis, Bill, and the Monster, he is somewhat of a serial murderer magnet. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Brett Ratner is the director. :frowning:
Maybe Chris Tucker will do a cameo. :eek:

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I wonder if this will be billed as "A Brett Ratner Film?"
BTW, I saw Rush Hour 3 (2004) on Ratner's Link Removed over at IMDB.
I'm looking forward to Red Dragon. I saw the Miami Vice version and didn't care for it.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't sell Anthony Hopkins short on his ability to play anything, including a younger Anthony Hopkins. Unless they're doing major screenplay alterations to the book, he's still only going to be onscreen a brief but memorable portion of the running time, and there are plenty of acting tricks that can be used effectively in that short timeframe, backed up with the usual technical suspects. I'm still interested; I think Red Dragon is the strongest of the three books myself and will be there to see it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks Andy - good read! Nicely recreates events talked about in The Red Dragon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks