What's new

Hands On Listening Comparison Between the Two Pre/Pro's: 950 and 1066 (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
JerryW-

Since you are local, if you pick up the 950, might it be possible to arrange a short demo? I would love to hear it and get an idea of how it compares to my 1066-

Thanks!

Andrew B.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Mark

I may just have to go and track down some of those HDCD and see what they sound like…….
Better yet, get a SACD player. You can pick up the Sony DAVNS500V (DVD & multichannelSACD) or SCD-CD775 (multichannelSACD only)for about $200. Sound so nice it will take you a week to wipe the smile off of your face.

Gregg

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Andrew,

Yes, that sounds cool. Though, it may be a while because I'm not sure how long it'll be before Outlaw gets to me. I placed my request in late February.

BTW, did you get your Rotel locally at Statement? I had to drive to Asheville to get my Integra, though I did buy it used (very slightly used and it looks brand new).

W

Will

Here's my current compilation of who is volunteering their 950 or 1066 for a hands on listening and ease of use comparison between the the two pre/pro's, and are looking for a buddy with the other pre/pro, grouped by city:
Andrew_Ballew in Knoxville, TN has a 1066
Serge Breton in Windsor, Ontario, Canada has a 950
Luke_Khuc in Minnesota with a 950
Jeff Engel in Dallas with a 1066
Gail M can be in Dallas with 950 (not sure what is the story)
Brian Corr may has access to a showroom near Dallas for the testing
carlos f in Los Angeles with a 1066 (Available in the future)
Lewis Besze in Los Angeles with a 950
Will also in Los Angeles with a 950
Any other volunteers? Have I missed anyone? I've eliminated the non-950 non-1066 volunteers from this compilation although other products are welcome to be compared. I assume including other products won't detract from a 950 versus 1066 comparison.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
BTW, did you get your Rotel locally at Statement? I had to drive to Asheville to get my Integra, though I did buy it used (very slightly used and it looks brand new).
Great- let me know when you get the 950 and it is convenient for you--

No, I did not pick it up at Statement- it seems like everytime I call them they never have exactly what I want- as far as I can tell although they carry Rotel products, Rotel HT pre/pros are not on their list.

I actually drove to Johnson City to pick the 1066 up at Mr. Toad's Stereo Video. Awesome place and worth the drive-

Cheers

Andrew B.

Luis M

Second Unit
Since we are at it, Why don't you guys try to get two people to compare the Outlaw with the Denon 5803 and settle the seperate-receiver issue once and for all?

Just a thought.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
I remember reading a post where someone had set up a webpage that listed the differences between the 950 and the 1066 in chart form. I did a search and I couldn't find anything. Can someone please post the link if they have it?

Thanks.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I have a question about the 1066 since I am thinking about giving it a demo. What is the deal with the HD component switching. I just read this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=146579 and it has me worried. Is anyone using their component switching on the Rotel for 1080i? Are these numbers incorrect that Tom mentions or is it true? My parents have a Kenwood that switches around 20mhz and I can notice a small degradation when using 1080i but not when using 480p. So my question is two fold, one is it true, and second, whether the first is yes or no, can you tell a difference using the Rotel to switch HD? My tv has one HD input (damn early adapters...) so this would be a factor in what I ultimately buy. I am 90% sure I will stick with the Outlaw but I wouldn't mind seeing what the Rotel has to offer for comparison sake.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Jed,

I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that Sherbourn's version of the 950 is making some mods to allow for higher bandwidth switching compared to the 950. It may be worth considering also.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Brian, 45mhz is fine for 1080i that the outlaw offers. I am sure when 1080p comes out I will need more than that. I just need enough for 1080i for now and I am hoping the Rotel can do that, but thanks for the information. :)

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jed,
I haven't been able to try this (no HDTV yet :frowning: ), so I am only relaying what I have heard.
The 950 definitely specs out with higher video bandwidth. The video bandwidth on the 1066 is only rated as 10MHz and spec'd by Rotel as switching up to 480p. That being said, "brianca" (who I believe may not be able to respond to this here anymore :frowning: ) says that he is putting a 1080i signal thru his 1066 without issue. He was not able to try a 720p signal since his projector doesn't support 720p.
Gregg

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reply Gregg and Brian. :emoji_thumbsup: 10MHz seems alarmingly low but I guess the only way to find out is to try it. If anyone else has any input I would appreciate it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks