What's new

Hands On Listening Comparison Between the Two Pre/Pro's: 950 and 1066 (1 Viewer)

W

Will

With the Outlaw 950 and the Rotel 1066 out, and with me being about number 200 in the Outlaw reservation list, I hope someone does a hands on listening comparison before I pull the trigger on the Outlaw. I know it's returnable, but I'd rather hear about a listening comparison before I have to order the 950.

I wonder if any willing Outlaw 950 owner lives near any willing Rotel 1066 owner. If anyone who owns one or the other who is willing to do a hands on listening comparison, would list their city in this thread, maybe we can get ourselves an HTF listening comparison? And if two people in West Los Angeles want to do the hands on comparison between the 950 and the 1066, I can volunteer my home for the shootout.

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
I also propose that we include an anthem AVM20 as well.
While we are at it, why not throw a 49TX and a 5803 into the mix :)

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
My suggestion is to get a bunch of people together and do the comparison such that only a moderator knows which pre/pro is which during the actual listening part of the testing.

--Steve

W

Will

I hoped this would be a hot topic. But I guess it isn't. Oh well. Maybe everyone who has a new pre/pro is busy getting acquainted with it. Or there's no great desire for a hands on comparison with a competitor's pre/pro.
And for some of us, it's probably easier to discuss this hobby online and not have to meet face to face.
smiley_idea.gif
smiley_idea.gif

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I know Jeff Engel has a 1066 and I saw a guy on the outlaw forum (manderson, I think) who was supposed to get his 950 this week. Both are in the Dallas area. Maybe they could do it......maybe, jeff....

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i, too, am very interested in comparing these two products. lemme know if/when a comparo is going to take place. i plan to work my ass off this summer so i can afford to blow ~$2000 on some awesome stuff. :D

W

Will

I think there's just ONE offer so far from someone with a pre/pro to volunteer.
Thank you, Brian a in the Austin area for volunteering your 1066.

brian a

Second Unit
I'm pulling my name from the hat. The 950 is clearly the superior product and my lowly 1066 can't possible hope to compete such a force in the audio world. At least my dog will enjoy it.

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still in, had not heard from any 950 owners in Dallas so I had not said anything. If there is anyone around Dallas with a 950 I'd be willing to host them at my house for a B&W/SVS 16-46 demo; or I'd be willing to go to there house for their speaker setup. Any takers?

Jeff

W

Will

Win one, lose one. The updated count is a total of one volunteer.
Thank you Jeff Engel in the Dallas area for volunteering your 1066.

J

John Morris

My suggestion is to get a bunch of people together and do the comparison such that only a moderator knows which pre/pro is which during the actual listening part of the testing.
Well, if you guys can figure out how to do this using some sort of A/B switch box which also perfectly sets each unit to the EXACT volume levels, then I think I can tell you what you are gonna find out. You won't be able to tell any of these three units apart from each other by sound alone. Although I have not had these units in the same room at the same time, I have now spent some time with each unit in different rooms, and I could find nothing wrong sonically with any of them. Without some defining undesireable characteristic that you could use to identify each or even a single unit, I seriously doubt that you could tell them apart in a professionally blinded, matched, listening test.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
merc, I certainly agree. It's good to hear you extolling the virtues of a scientific test.

I'm half inclined to offer a prize (I have an "extra" SVS CS Ultra at the moment)--if such a controlled comparison does indeed happen--to the person who can most accurately discern between the two units, but only if that accuracy exceeds 85%.

--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarvelManiac68