What's new

Hands On Listening Comparison Between the Two Pre/Pro's: 950 and 1066 (1 Viewer)

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Camp,

I've not noticed a lock-on delay any greater than what I've heard elsewhere? Obviously some people are experencing different performance, but on my system, the lock-ons don't seem to take any longer then they did on my 1050 receiver that previously sat where my 950 now does. Perhaps combinations of equipment have an impact?

I have a Pioneer CLD-3080 (both digital & analog connections), a Panasonic DVD A120 (digital only) and an Apex AD-1200 (digital only) connected to my 950 as sources. My 950 is configured to auto detect. I've played DTS LD's, DD & DTS DVD's, VCD's & SVCDs, and redbook CD's. I've switched between them (I've used the Pioneer for LD via digitial and redbook CD via analog, the others all digitial) and haven't noticed any obvious delay.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that people are having a problem. But in my system, it's not noticable. {shrug}

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Camp,

the 950 may have technically speaking a longer acquisition time to lock on to a surround source but this still is not long enough to keep the static noise out of my speakers when switching from PCM to SPDIF on my 950. I get a pop(static) which means that this processor could benefit from a longer delay. This is not necessarily the fault of the 950, but this still does not negate the fact that this prepro is more "sensitive" than most processors on the market. My Act 3 did the same thing.....

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I think all the delays in auto sensing are with DSS receivers not regular DVD players etc. Still the Rotel doesn't seem to have this problem...at least no ones complained about it.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I just went and played around with my 950 and the delay associated with using a dss are minimal on my system. I use the Toshiba dst3000 hdtv receiver and I always have sound before the picture when I change channels. When I switch to a channel broadcast in DD then it takes anywhere from one second to one and a half based on my wrist watch. I have heard no other delay with the 950 except for this small task using dss. So, yes, when going from channel 501 to 502 or vice versa there will be a one to two second delay, but going from 206 to 207 will be normal on my system so I agree with Patrick that its probably unique to certain setups or types of dss receivers if they are constantly having delays. Hope that helps someone.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
One thing I should point out is hdtv receivers are generally slower at acquiring a picture than regular dss receivers and that could explain why I always have audio first? Just a thought as to why some do and why some don't.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
quick hint for those using pronto's. If you want direct access to DTS:NEO simply program a macro to select 7 chnl stereo then pause for 0.3 seconds then select the Surround button. You can download my CCF from my website if you want to see what it looks like etc.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Maybe one or more of you guys can answer this for me.

I run rear surround subs that are speaker level connected. In order for the rear subs to work correctly. I need to set my rear surrounds as large. That way a full signal is first sent to the rear subs and then the subs crossover is in control and not the pre/pro. Also this means that my surrounds only get the frequecies above the rear "SUBS" crossover.

If I'm not mistaken the 1066 doesn't allow for setting the fronts to small and the rears to large. This would have been ideal for me, because I'd be able to set my fronts to small with the 1066 crossover set to 40hz and my rears to large and use the rear subs crossover for my surrounds.

It looks like my only option is to run my rear surrounds as large and use the speaker level connections on my rear subs(this is what I want to do for the rear subs and surrounds anyway). For my fronts I'm going to try to run my fronts through my front subs,speaker level connected just like the rears and set them to large also. My center will be set to small and be connected just like always(directly from the pre/pro).

I have 2 250 watt 12" subs for the fronts and 2 150 watt 10" subs for the rears.

So here's the setup I'm going to try:

Fronts = large with speaker level connections going to subs and then to speakers using subs crossover.

Surrounds = large with speaker level connections going to subs and then to speakers using subs crossover.

Center = small

1066 subwoofer setting = OFF

My question is this. Where is the LFE going to go? Since the subwoofer setting is "NO". Does the 1066 just mix the LFE into the fronts. If this is the case, since my fronts are speaker level connected with the front subs. The LFE would go to the front subs.

Anyone know the answer?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I think that will work as you think it will...honestly though having 4 subs might cause more trouble then 1 or 2 high out put subs..ie I'd consider selling all four and buy/build a single monster sub.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Andrew,

Congrats on the 1066 and thanks for the response. My old theater was in a room that was 24x16. The theater was on a side of the room that was 13x16 so it allowed a lot of bass to escape to the other side which was 11x16. Because of the size of the room the four subs worked great and I didn't notice any cancellations. My new room will be just 14x25 so I'm betting that the four subs will produce cancellations like crazy. I figure since I have the gear I'll give it a try. Heck I can always remove it,right.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
It ought to be easy to tell the difference. The one that takes a few seconds to lock on to the signal is the 950.
As an owner of the RSP-1066, I can attest to the fact that many times the 1066 takes it merry little time locking onto digital signals. It is inconsistent, though- sometimes it locks right on, sometimes it lops off audio, especially on DVD menus, the beginning of some movies, and during chapter changes. Every time it occurs, the front panel display says "PCM" before it eventually locks onto "Dolby Digital" or "DTS". It is true that this might be a bitstream issue with my JVC DVD player- I hope to try a different brand soon, to confirm.

Andrew B.

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Mark Knight- Seen your OUTLAW 950 in the hardware for sale area. I take it that you are happier with the ROTEL?

JerryIII

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me what color the lights are on the black 1066. Are the lights blue like on the silver version?

Thanks,

Jerry

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
David, The 1066 is supposed to arrive today via UPS. I hope it actually arrives! ;)
I will then of course be hooking it up immediately and running it though the paces so… provided it actually does show up today like the UPS web site says it is… then I will be posting some thoughts later this evening.
The reason the 950 is for sale is that the 1066 has a few features I really like for “my” home theater, like the RS232 for controlling from my AMX control system and the dual subwoofer outputs so I can get rid of the stupid “Y” adapter I have been using for years now.
So even if the Rotel 1066 does not sound (to me) as good as the 950 I will be sticking with the 1066 for the added features that I really want to have in “my” system.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the off topic guys, but remember in the days of heated 950 and 1066 debates. LarryB(no space) and Merc where two of the most vocal Outlaw(merc) and Rotel(LarryB) supporters. I haven't seen any post from either one of them for a long time. Anyone know what happened to them?

Thanks

Legairre

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As a point of information:

Both LarryB and John Morris have been suspended from the HTF for a violation of forum rules. None of this had anything to do with their opinions on equipment. (They were in opposite camps on most issues so this was a wash in that area - not that this has anything to do with their suspensions.) Other than that, this is not the place to discuss personal situations, but since you asked, Legairre, I answered you.

We now return you to the topic at hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks