What's new

Hammer & Forgotten Noir Sets from VCI (1 Viewer)

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
VCI Entertainment, as part of its agreement with Kit Parker, will begin releasing two series of films noir in March. Each release will include two films, and I'm urging them to number the sets. More than 2 dozen films are known to me so far.

The Hammer Noir Series includes a number of films that feature an American star backed by a British cast; titles include BAD BLONDE (1953) with Barbary Payton, THE GLASS TOMB (1959) with John Ireland and Honor Blackman, THIRD PARTY RISK (1954) with Lloyd Bridges, A STOLEN FACE (1952) with Paul Henreid and Lizabeth Scott, and TERROR STREET with Dan Duryea.

The Forgotten Noir Series will include all three films starring Hugh Beaumont as private eye Dennis O'Brien (DANGER ZONE, PIER 23, and ROARING CITY), plus Portland Exposé (Allied Artists, 1957) with Ed Binns and Frank Gorshin, TREASURE OF MONTE CRISTO (1949) with an all-star cast of Glenn Langan, Adele Jergens, Bobby Jordan, and Sid Melton, FBI GIRL (1951) with Cesar Romero, Joi Lansing, and the comedy team of Noonan & Marshall, and SHOOT TO KILL (1947) with Luana Walters.

For a list of all titles, please see the NEWS section at www.inthebalcony.com.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the information Laurence, I will definitely be picking some of these up in March.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, that was bad timing. I just started on a watch-all-the-Hammer-films-on-DVD project in conjunction with reading Denis Meikle's history of the studio, and skipped over the Hammer noirs on the assumption they'd never be released. :angry:

Film Noir Fans,

Is this Hammer Studio release of film noir worth a blind buy. I like film noir but I don't won't to buy something that is complete crap. However, seven movies for just over 2o dollars is a good deal. Any thoughts or advice.

Thanks

Greg

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
How was the quality on VCI's recent double-feature releases of D.O.A., The Hitchhiker, Bury Me Dead, The Chase, etc?

A marked improvement over the countless other p.d. issues we've seen to date?

Worth a purchase?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Gorgo is from 1960. About half of these titles predate 1953 and the introduction of Cinemascope.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
You're joking, right?

I know when films went to widescreen! What I'm saying is in this day and age, why would a company still be releasing films that are (i.e. 1.66:1; 1.78:1; 1.85:1; 2.35:1 et al) "NON ANAMORPHIC-NON ANAMORPHIC-NON ANAMORPHIC!!!"

That is the question!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks