What's new

Pre-Order Halloween I-V (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

masterofthemoon74

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Artwork is gorgeous for these releases, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get all 5 or just the ones that I want. I will have to think about it, but they do look tempting to get

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I just hope Shout is able to include Halloween 4's original audio track, or at least something resembling it. The remix that we've had for the past 20 years or so is an absolute mess. Ambience is flattened out and numerous sound effects are missing. It's really bizarre.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I wonder if the first film is the same as the 4K previously released. On the Shout! site, it lists "original mono", and there was dissatisfaction that previous release's "mono" was a fold down.
The 4k disc has a commentary that wasn't on there originally so no.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I already own the UHD of the first film, and the only other one I am interested in is Halloween II. If that comes available individually, I will bite. Otherwise, I am happy with the BD of that film, as it's not anywhere near as good as the original classic.
The original 4k UHD release (and I believe this is a first time occurrence) is being supplanted by a brand new 4k image harvest of the OCN.

This is a new disc, not a repackage of the first 4k.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The original 4k UHD release (and I believe this is a first time occurrence) is being supplanted by a brand new 4k image harvest of the OCN.

Dawn Of The Dead has had two separate 4K UHD releases so far (2016, Zombi, released in Italy and the Second Sight versions released in the UK last year).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Good point. They also mention that it's a new 2021 transfer approved by Dean Cundey. How many different transfers will he approve?
Hopefully, third time's the charm. And three for The Thing, as well.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

For the first movie, since they already once did a 4K scan of the OCN, do you see any advantage to doing yet another one?

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I pre-ordered Halloween, Halloween II, and Halloween III: Season of the Witch as I don't really care much for Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers or Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers. I bought the Halloween: The Complete Collection boxset back in 2014 so I think I'm covered if I ever want to venture into those train wrecks again.

The funny thing is that I'm one of the few who thinks Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers is the best of the "Jamie Lloyd trilogy"! At least it tried something different—no matter how wackadoodle the curse plot is—whereas 4 and 5 were just uninspired retreads of the first two with the insane killer stalking and killing victims one by one which had been done to death (pun intended) by every other slasher film of the 80s. And it's kind of fun to watch Paul Rudd in one of his first film roles. It's strange that it's not being released with this batch since it's connected to 4 and 5 but I think it's owned by a different film company so perhaps Shout Factory was unable to get the rights for it.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch is wackadoodle too but it's a hoot in a B-movie sort of way. I also saw it in the theater when it was released so it has some sentimental value from my childhood and it does have an excellent score by Carpenter.

https://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/halloween-timeline.jpg

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered Halloween, Halloween II, and Halloween III: Season of the Witch as I don't really care much for Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers or Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers. I bought the Halloween: The Complete Collection boxset back in 2014 so I think I'm covered if I ever want to venture into those train wrecks again.

The funny thing is that I'm one of the few who thinks Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers is the best of the "Jamie Lloyd trilogy"! At least it tried something different—no matter how wackadoodle the curse plot is—whereas 4 and 5 were just uninspired retreads of the first two with the insane killer stalking and killing victims one by one which had been done to death (pun intended) by every other slasher film of the 80s. And it's kind of fun to watch Paul Rudd in one of his first film roles. It's strange that it's not being released with this batch since it's connected to 4 and 5 but I think it's owned by a different film company so perhaps Shout Factory was unable to get the rights for it.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch is wackadoodle too but it's a hoot in a B-movie sort of way. I also saw it in the theater when it was released so it has some sentimental value from my childhood and it does have an excellent score by Carpenter.

https://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/halloween-timeline.jpg
The funniest thing about that chart is that it's accurate. No embellishment is needed because the series is that fractured and wacky. :laugh:

As for 4, 5, and 6, I love 4 and think it's a solid thriller with characters that you like so you don't want to see them die. You hit the reasons why I've come to enjoy 6 even if it's a lousy movie. The less said about 5, the better.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI that they are all now $27.99 at Amazon.

will def pick up HII and HIII (not a good movie, but it’s creepy and nicely photographed. Had a delightfully cheesy performance from genre stalwart Tom Atkins and a scenery devouring performance from Dan O’Herlihy) I like H4 enough but I’m not sure it warrants an upgrade. I already have the current UHD of the original, maybe if it’s a slam dunk upgrade I’ll bite. No interest in 5, but any chance it becomes cheaper to go all in than picking up three of them individually?

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
"Original Color Timing Presentation" means it's the blu-ray version with the more faithful theatrical color timing. That version is on disc two of the Complete Collection set as well.
I have a theory that this the same SD files we all had on our 1999 discs. Maybe a mpeg4 re-encode for space. I best we can hope for in quality is a newer encode of the original SD transfer files which I’m sure would have little improvement, but hey at least it would be available.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't seen it before but on Shout's website, the Halloween 5 special features list two very interesting new features:

• NEW Long-Lost Alternate Opening Sequence Featuring The Appearance Of Dr. Death
  • NEW Extra Snippets Of Gore Cut To Obtain An R-Rating

I'm guessing both of those probably amount to about two minutes of footage but I've wanted to see the Dr. Death stuff since a still of it was in Fangoria 32 years ago.

Despite how lousy it is, I was still going to buy Halloween 5 again but now, I'm actually excited to see the disc. :laugh:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
That sounded like that was sarcasm, so I went and checked Shout's site and sure enough it was actually listed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't seen it before but on Shout's website, the Halloween 5 special features list two very interesting new features:
I hadn't seen it before because apparently Shout just put the info up today. Here's the full specs for all five movies from Shout's e-mail:

BONUS FEATURES
Here are the bonus features revealed by film and by disc:

HALLOWEEN (1978) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

• NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Camera Negative, Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
  • NEW Dolby Atmos Track
  • Audio Commentary With Co-Writer/Director John Carpenter And Actress Jamie Lee Curtis
  • Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, Editor Tommy Lee Wallace, And Actor Nick Castle
HALLOWEEN (1978) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

• NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Camera Negative, Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
  • NEW Dolby Atmos Track
  • Audio Commentary With John Carpenter And Jamie Lee Curtis
  • Audio Commentary With Dean Cundey, Tommy Lee Wallace, And Nick Castle
  • “The Night She Came Home” Featurette
  • Halloween Unmasked 2000” Featurette
  • TV Version Additional Scenes
  • Trailers From Hell – Adam Rifkin On Halloween
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • Radio Spots
  • NBC Broadcast TV Promo
  • NEW Newspaper Ad Still Gallery By Drive-In Asylum
  • Still Gallery
HALLOWEEN (1978) DISC THREE (BLU-RAY):

• Original Blu-ray Color Timing Presentation
  • Vintage Interview With Producer Moustapha Akkad
  • Halloween: A Cut Above The Rest” Featurette
  • Halloween – The Extended Cut In HD (TV Inserts Are In Standard Definition)
  • NEW The Broadcast Television Cut (In Standard Definition, 1.33:1)
  • Horror’s Hallowed Grounds – A Look At The Original Filming Locations
  • Horror’s Hallowed Grounds Bus Tour From The Halloween Convention

HALLOWEEN II (1981) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

• NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
  • NEW 2021 Dolby Atmos Track
  • Audio Commentary With Director Rick Rosenthal And Actor Leo Rossi
  • Audio Commentary With Stunt Coordinator Dick Warlock
HALLOWEEN II (1981) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

• NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Camera Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
  • Audio Commentary With Rick Rosenthal And Leo Rossi
  • Audio Commentary With Dick Warlock
  • “The Nightmare Isn’t Over – The Making Of Halloween II” Featuring Rick Rosenthal, Dick Warlock, Composer Alan Howarth, Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, Actors Lance Guest And Leo Rossi, And More
  • Horror’s Hallowed Grounds Revisiting The Original Filming Locations
  • Deleted Scenes With Optional Audio Commentary With Rick Rosenthal
  • Alternate Ending With Optional Audio Commentary With Rick Rosenthal
  • Movie Stills Gallery
  • Posters And Lobby Cards Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Teaser Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • TV Promo
  • Radio Spots
HALLOWEEN II (1981) DISC THREE (DVD):

• Television Cut (In Standard Definition, 1:33:1)
  • Film Script (DVD-ROM)
HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

• NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
  • Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Tommy Lee Wallace
  • Audio Commentary With Actor Tom Atkins
HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

• NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
  • Audio Commentary With Tommy Lee Wallace
  • Audio Commentary With Tom Atkins
  • NEW “Tricks, Treats And Terror: The Masks Of Halloween III”– An Interview With Justin Mabry Of Trick Or Treat Studios
  • “Stand Alone: The Making Of Halloween III: Season Of The Witch” Featuring Tommy Lee Wallace, Actors Tom Atkins And Stacey Nelkin, Stunt Coordinator Dick Warlock, Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, And More
  • Horror’s Hallowed Grounds: Revisiting The Original Filming Locations With Host Sean Clark And Tommy Lee Wallace
  • “Make-up From Scratch” – An Interview With Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Burman
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • TV Promo
  • Radio Spots
  • Movie Stills Gallery
  • Posters and Lobby Cards Gallery
HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS (1988) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

• NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative
  • Audio Commentary With Actors Ellie Cornell And Danielle Harris
  • Audio Commentary With Director Dwight H. Little And Author Justin Beahm
HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS (1988) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

• Audio Commentary With Ellie Cornell And Danielle Harris
  • Audio Commentary With Dwight H. Little And Justin Beahm
  • “The Making Of Halloween 4: The Final Cut”
  • “Back To Basics: The Making Of Halloween 4” – A Two-part Featurette
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • Still Gallery
HALLOWEEN 5: THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS (1989) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

• Audio Commentary With Actor Don Shanks And Author Justin Beahm
  • Audio Commentary With Director Dominique Othenin-Girard And Actors Danielle Harris And Jeffrey Landman
HALLOWEEN 5: THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS (1989) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

• Audio Commentary With Don Shanks And Justin Beahm
  • Audio Commentary With Dominique Othenin-Girard, Danielle Harris, And Jeffrey Landman
  • NEW Long-Lost Alternate Opening Sequence Featuring The Appearance Of Dr. Death
  • NEW “Of Darkness And Shadows – The Cinematography of Halloween 5”– An Interview With Cinematographer Robert Draper
  • “Inside Halloween 5
  • “Dead Man’s Party – The Making Of Halloween 5” – A Two-part Featurette
  • “On The Set: Behind-The-Scenes Footage”
  • Halloween 5 Original Promo
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • Still Gallery

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

The Curse of Michael Myers is a Dimension Films release i.e. when Miramax first got the rights to the franchise, which is why it's not part of this series of releases. Video rights would now be with ViacomCBS. Completely agree with your assessment of Halloween III. I absolutely adore it, even though it's completely crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks