What's new

Halloween 2018 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, they're not getting any more of my money. I'm done!
I wish I was that smart. :) In fairness, they MAY come up with a decent way to keep making sequels but something tells me that Curtis, Carpenter, Green and McBride aren't coming back again so that diminishes alot of my enthusiasm for Halloween 2 (or, technically, 12).

I also get the feeling that the gross on Halloween means that Friday The 13th and A Nightmare On Elm Street are on their way to a revival too.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I wish I was that smart. :) In fairness, they MAY come up with a decent way to keep making sequels but something tells me that Curtis, Carpenter, Green and McBride aren't coming back again so that diminishes alot of my enthusiasm for Halloween 2 (or, technically, 12).

I also get the feeling that the gross on Halloween means that Friday The 13th and A Nightmare On Elm Street are on their way to a revival too.
A new Nightmare on Elm Street with Robert Englund? God, I hope so (maybe his appearance on ABC's The Goldberg's will help nudge the possibility!)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I have not been a slasher film fan. I've only seen the first film of those franchises and that's when they first came out during their theatrical run. Halloween is the only slasher film series in which I saw more of the films besides the original. I feel the same way about Zombie movies. I've never even seen one episode of The Walking Dead. I have zero interest in them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Been listening to the soundtrack which is awesome. Great updated versions of the classic cues with even a few new ones.

Man it would be awesome if Carpenter was nominated for an Oscar for this score.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I wonder if McBride and Cast were contracted for potential sequels? I don’t know if they could have gotten JLC to sign anything locking her into sequels (though supposedly her appearance in Halloween Resurrection was contracted. Laurie did get off easy in that one) but if PR is to be believed she seems to enjoy doing these movies and I’m not sure what else she’s done lately. And if JLC wasn’t contracted, she can now command a pretty decent payday for another appearance. So I wouldn’t rule out her coming back. Carpenter would be anyone’s guess I suppose. I’m sure whatever they do, he’d probably still receive a producer credit whether or not he had any real involvement.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wonder how the H2 timeline films will be viewed going forward. Alternate timeline I guess. Or is this Halloween the alternate timeline? Are they both cannon? Or neither?

Whatever. Just give me more Halloween films with this quality.

Enjoyed it more on my second viewing. Next week......IMAX!:eek:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wonder if McBride and Cast were contracted for potential sequels? I don’t know if they could have gotten JLC to sign anything locking her into sequels (though supposedly her appearance in Halloween Resurrection was contracted. Laurie did get off easy in that one) but if PR is to be believed she seems to enjoy doing these movies and I’m not sure what else she’s done lately. And if JLC wasn’t contracted, she can now command a pretty decent payday for another appearance. So I wouldn’t rule out her coming back. Carpenter would be anyone’s guess I suppose. I’m sure whatever they do, he’d probably still receive a producer credit whether or not he had any real involvement.

Danny McBride On Inevitable ‘Halloween’ Sequel & Why Michael Myers Scared Up So Much Gross 40 Years Later

https://deadline.com/2018/10/hallow...john-carpenter-david-gordon-green-1202488819/

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
, he’d probably still receive a producer credit whether or not he had any real involvement.
John Carpenter didn’t get a Producer credit. He got an Executive Producer credit along with Jamie Lee Curtis and a few others. Not as important.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
My wife and I saw this last night and we both found it a bit "meh". There were some entertaining bits, especially in the final 20 minutes, so it wasn't a complete waste of time. The original and 2 are still the definitive entries for me, then perhaps H20, which I always had a soft spot for, then this new one may be tied with 4. Parts 5, 6, 8 and the two Zombie films aren't worth mentioning. Like, ever.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I watched this tonight as part of my endeavor to squeeze as much out of my HBO Now subscription as I can before it expires on the 21st.

There was a lot I liked. This was the most interesting take on Laurie Strode since since the original film. I like how she's become as much of a legend, in her way, as Michael has.

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't make Laurie's daughter Jamie Lloyd, even if they wanted to ignore the continuity after the first film. Perhaps Carpenter was against it, since he wasn't involved with the movies featuring that character.

I liked the odd little touches in the movie, like the pinball machine and the foul-mouthed worldliness of the kid Vicky was babysitting, or the extended conversation about food in the patrol car.

Andi Matichak looked like she could be Jamie Lee Curtis's granddaughter.

My favorite bit was in the final act, when the movie reversed the tropes of the franchise, with Michael looking for Laurie's body only for it to have vanished, and then the movie following him as he's stalked by Laurie.

I also liked that they got back to Michael being only slightly supernatural; he's a man with a face, who can be shot and can be injured, who was successfully incarcerated for forty years. He survives things nobody should be able to survive, but he's not invulnerable. I think it was necessary for the rematch between him and Laurie to have any weight; you have to believe the two of them have a roughly equal shot going into this confrontation. If he's the literal bogeyman, than nobody in his path stands a chance of triumphing.

This movie has a very tall cast, with Jamie Lee Curtis at 5' 7" and all of the other women (Judy Greer, Andi Matichak, Virginia Gardner) are taller still. It had the upside of getting away from versions of Michael that are a hulking physical presence. He's tall, but not much taller than them. And he's quite skinny here. His edge is that he's evil, had forty years to plan for this night, and is a master at improvising instruments of death with whatever happens to be on hand.

I like Will Patton a lot. He's a very human performer. It's interesting how big of a deal they made about his character's history with Michael, when his character didn't appear in the original Halloween nor Halloween II.

We didn't see a body in the engulfed basement, and we did hear Michael's breathing over the end credits, so I suppose he'll be back.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I decided to watch this again tonight and rented it on Vudu, having not seen it since the theater 3 years ago. Hard to believe that much time has passed, but the time has done this movie well, as I really enjoyed it. I remember it didn’t impress me much the first time, but I found it to be a totally solid Halloween flick watching it tonight. It still isn’t as good as the first sequel, and I still prefer to think of 1 & 2 as all there is (though some of the sequels are guilty pleasures in my book), but this is definitely a cool alternative continuation.

My plan was to watch this tonight and watch the sequel on Peacock tomorrow, but now I’m inspired to watch the new one in theaters if I can get out sometime this next week.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It still isn’t as good as the first sequel, and I still prefer to think of 1 & 2 as all there is...
Simply due to having lived with Halloween II for decades and it taking place right after the original, that will always be the 'real' sequel to me but yeah, I think these movies are very good as an "alternate universe" sequel or continuation of the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks