Halloween 2018

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it always seemed to have a good reputation on a horror forum I used to frequent. I really should get around to seeing it this fall.
See it, but don't expect a misunderstood in its time gem on the level of say Carpenter's version of "The Thing". I wouldn't say it's that good of a movie though it has some positives such as a legitimately creepy atmosphere aided by another Carpenter/Horwath synth score. Dean Cundey also returns so it has quality Panavision photography. Dan O'Herlihy devouring the scenery every time he's on screen and an adequately cheesy performance from 80's stalwart Tom Atkins. There's one pretty legitimately shocking moment and an unconventional ending.

Hard to call it a "good" film, but it can be fun.

Edit: You will have to stab yourself in the brain once it’s all over to remove a certain jingle that repeatedly plays throughout the movie.

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Three more days to Halloween - Halloween - Halloween.
Three more days to Halloween...Silver Shamrock!

Everybody! All together!

Reactions: TravisR

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Just got back from it. Ok, but not the second coming. Maybe I’ll elaborate more later.

However there was one bit of throwaway dialogue early in the film that coincidentally invoked a very current event from earlier this week.

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
For the most part I enjoyed it but I agree it wasn't the second coming that some were building it up to be. I'm going to need a second viewing but I liked most of the film even with all of the flaws. There were a couple things that I hated..... spoilers

SPOILERS

again SPOILERS

I hated the scene with the babysitter and Michael in the closet. The sequence was well-directed but what the hell was up with the comedy bits? Are you serious? Also, what happened with the doctor was incredibly stupid at the end. I really, really thought this was a bad move.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Also, what happened with the doctor was incredibly stupid at the end. I really, really thought this was a bad move.
Even on the first viewing,
the stuff with the doctor seemed unnecessary and a second viewing didn't little to make me think differently. I didn't think the movie needed it but I guess they wanted a twist.

Two things that I have to say that I loved about this movie: Jamie Lee Curtis' performance. She was really good in this movie and it seemed like a believable portrayal of someone who had experienced something so awful that it would have ruined their life. Also, I liked the score alot. Obviously, Carpenter used the original score as his base but he built off of it and used the kind of music that he's currently making rather than just recycling the classic original pieces over and over.

Reactions: DavidJ

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Even on the first viewing,
the stuff with the doctor seemed unnecessary and a second viewing didn't little to make me think differently. I didn't think the movie needed it but I guess they wanted a twist.

Two things that I have to say that I loved about this movie: Jamie Lee Curtis' performance. She was really good in this movie and it seemed like a believable portrayal of someone who had experienced something so awful that it would have ruined their life. Also, I liked the score alot. Obviously, Carpenter used the original score as his base but he built off of it and used the kind of music that he's currently making rather than just recycling the classic original pieces over and over.
I feel like they may have went a little too far with Laurie. I certainly understand after that night in ‘78 she would want to learn how to defend herself. But her still being ultra paranoid 40 years later, I’m not so sure about. In this continuity, she has no connection to Michael so there really shouldn’t be much of a reason to think he would ever come back for her (or that he even knows who she is for that matter) even if he ever were to escape. Ironically, the level or protection she subjects herself to would be more valid to me if HII was part of the continuity because that at least establishes to Laurie that Michael will keep coming for her and him and her being brother/sister establishes a basis for it.

disctrip

Second Unit
Premium
Real Name
hank freitas
Just back from seeing it. I really liked it. A good follow up to the first movie. Jamie Lee Curtis was great and the music was Fabulous. (bring on the soundtrack)

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Just back from seeing it. I really liked it. A good follow up to the first movie. Jamie Lee Curtis was great and the music was Fabulous. (bring on the soundtrack)
I guess the real litmus test here is if you had to choose to keep one, would it be this version or the original Halloween II?

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Halloween’ Not Far From ‘Venom’s $80M+ October Opening Record; Best Debut For Blumhouse & John Carpenter Canon

Weekend estimates for Universal/Miramax/Blumhouse’s Halloween are coming in at $33M for Friday, (including a great $7.7M Thursday night) making it the second-best first day for a horror movie after It ($50.4M), on a killing spree to become the second-highest domestic horror opening of all-time at $79.4M(also behind It’s $123.4M) and possibly the biggest opening of October that is if Michael Myers can knock off Venom‘s $80.2M record from three weekends ago.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/halloween-record-opening-weekend-box-office-1202485871/

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I guess the real litmus test here is if you had to choose to keep one, would it be this version or the original Halloween II?
I think the new movie is better in almost every way but if I HAD to pick one, I'd go with Halloween II (1981) simply because I grew up watching and loving it. If I saw both as an adult, I'd pick the new one without hesitation.

Reactions: Tino

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Halloween’ Not Far From ‘Venom’s $80M+ October Opening Record; Best Debut For Blumhouse & John Carpenter Canon

Weekend estimates for Universal/Miramax/Blumhouse’s Halloween are coming in at $33M for Friday, (including a great $7.7M Thursday night) making it the second-best first day for a horror movie after It ($50.4M), on a killing spree to become the second-highest domestic horror opening of all-time at $79.4M(also behind It’s $123.4M) and possibly the biggest opening of October that is if Michael Myers can knock off Venom‘s $80.2M record from three weekends ago.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/halloween-record-opening-weekend-box-office-1202485871/

Wow! Looks like I have to adjust my thinking and go see this in a movie theater which would be only my third viewing of any Halloween movie in a movie theater. I've only seen the first two in a movie theater.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I feel like they may have went a little too far with Laurie. I certainly understand after that night in ‘78 she would want to learn how to defend herself. But her still being ultra paranoid 40 years later, I’m not so sure about. In this continuity, she has no connection to Michael so there really shouldn’t be much of a reason to think he would ever come back for her (or that he even knows who she is for that matter) even if he ever were to escape. Ironically, the level or protection she subjects herself to would be more valid to me if HII was part of the continuity because that at least establishes to Laurie that Michael will keep coming for her and him and her being brother/sister establishes a basis for it.
This story seemed somewhat similar to:
Terminator 2 in that the mother was so paranoid about a potential future that she would prepare herself with a stash of weapons while training the sibling for future event only to have sibling removed due to the actions of the mother. Then sibling comes to understand the situation that the mother prepared them for.

After I first watched it I was sure what I truly thought of it, but after time to really think about it I was very disappointed.

Another comment about Laurie preparing herself:

If she was going to go through all of that trouble to secure her home why wouldn't she have security cameras throughout the inside of the house (all of the rooms) with monitors in the safe room? Also, why wouldn't she have some sort of triggering mechanism to secure all of the rooms instead of blindly roaming through a dark house?

I have a feeling that this installment will not hold up to repeat viewings.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
Brian
Casting spoiler........

Did anyone else notice P.J. Soles playing the teacher?
I did not. That's great! There was a part of me that thought months ago it would be interesting if they could have had a scene where Laurie is meeting with both Annie (Nancy Kyes) and Lynda (P.J. Soles) over brunch with mimosas in a stereotypical boomer-way discussing their children and husbands, etc., and as an audience we're like WTF? They could have even ended the dream sequence with the Shape showing up and stabbing Annie and Lynda and then Laurie wakes up violently and it was all a dream. Now normally I hate the "it-was-a-dream" sequences (sans David Lynch works) but the fact that this film is about Laurie's traumatic psychosis it would be understood that, of course, she has dreams/nightmares about growing old with her old friends. It would have added to the paranoia that she continues to be a victim of into her twilight years.

I saw the movie last night in a Dolby Cinema and am still processing my thoughts. I hope to share them in this thread soon but I'm not ready yet as Halloween and Halloween II was important in my formative years of becoming a cinephile.

Edit: A moderator really should change the title of this thread to "Halloween (2018)". :ph34r:

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
singhjabar