What's new

Ha!, This time my wife has nobody to blame (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
This time my wife has nobody to blame but herself.

Last year I decided I wanted a HTiB system. I casually looked around and found a Panasonic system for ~$470 at Costco. Pefect, under $500 and it was a 6.1 system with nice little silver boxes for speakers. That would have made my wife happy. I was about to buy it when she told me to wait a few weeks for some bills to be paid. No problem I thought, there are about 8 boxes left. We went through that routine until there were zero boxes left. At that point I got upset. I didn't know about this site, so I went to CNET to check out some systems. I also went to some stores to try some out. Then I decided on the Onkyo 501 with the 6.1 JBLs speaker set. Home it comes. My wife sees that and reasons with me that is was too much money. Now the little black speakers that would have made her happy go back to the store.
I am seething. This is not a matter of affordability, she has just decided that she doesn't want to spend the money on "something like that."
Upon leaving the store, I notice the Onkyo HT-S760. Sounds good, but the speakers are really big and the sub is even bigger. I think I have found a winner, but I still want to go home and do a little research. (Still have yet to come across this site..) Everything says that this is the way to go, but the one consistent comment is that the speakers are pretty large. I care nothing for that. Actually, I by this time I was wondering if those smaller speakers could sound even close to some reasonably sized speakers. Well, I leave the web site up and my wife notices. My car is too small to pick it up, so I have to wait for the weekend to use the van. I was going to do it during the week, but traffic was so bad that once I got home I didn't want to drive around.
By this time I am upset, not about the HTiB, but about her behavior. I do not by "toys" all the time and I am driving an eleven year old car. On the occasion that I want to splurge on something I don't want any comments. It's not like we were going into debt for this. I had the cash in my pocket the whole time.
She then has the great idea that the Onkyo would be perfect. Ha! now it becomes her idea. Sure, I can take advantage of that. I go get it, buy about 150 feet of monster cable and set it up.:D
She sees the speakers.:angry: But at this point keeps her comments to herself.
It has been a few months, and we have BOTH been enjoying the system a lot.
Yesterday I go to Costco and see that Panasonic again. Armed with some knowledge I notice that all the speakers, including the sub have cheap plastic cases. The receiver looks good, but I don't remember much about it now. But I do know that the Onkyo is vastly superior sounding, just a lot bigger and uglier.
I get home and in the conversation it comes up that the Panasonic was there. Actually, it was"
"Babe, guess what? The original Home theater that I wanted was there. The one with the nice little silver boxes for speakers. But I am glad you had the good idea to get the one we have, it sounds so much better."
:D
Her response:
"Asshole....." with a grin and I get a kiss hello.

Sorry this was so long, but I had to tell it.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Kinda reminds me of when I brought the missus to listen to the Mission Cinema 8 speakers I wanted (in particular, the front pair are 782 floorstanders), she thought they were a little bit big, but I pointed out they are actually quite slim compared to other heftier floorstanders. Anyway, not the point: she observed that subwoofers in the shop were all these nasty big black boxes. Taking that in mind, I went and bought an SVS PCi... :D

Needless to say, she was aghast when she saw it for the first time. But nowadays I daresay she doesn't notice it either. Recently I brought my Marantz SR8200 to the shop to get the upgrade: they said it would take a week, it's been a month :angry: and the missus has asked me several times "when's the amp coming back?"

And she's been bugging me as to when we're going to upgrade the Sony 29" Wega (4:3) to that Pioneer 434 plasma I've been eyeing... :D

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Hey - you made it through this episode without visiting a marriage counselor or divorce court - congratulations !

My wife was upset I didn't go with the "cute little Bose speakers".... She got back at me by remodeling the kitchen (and no, we didn't pay cash for it !)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
That's nothing. I built a five-foot-tall subwoofer, and I'm still married.

Kinda.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
No, but what it lacks in versatility, it makes up in volume. (If you knwo what I mean.)

I guess I'm lucky. If I had a wife who vetoed every purchase I made on "something like that" I'd be completely miserable.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Brian, I already checked out your sonosub. I was going to build on until somebody recommended an Inifinite Baffle sub. I have decided that is the way to go for me. I like the idea of having the sub be felt but not seen. That, and good LFE is my primary concern. Whatever volume I end up with will be fine by me. But your tube has got to be the best looking on I have seen.

Wait until the front projector shows up.
We are shopping around for a new TV and entertainment center right now, but sometime next year I am going to buy a front projector and hang the screen from the ceiling. I was going to put it flush, but the crossbeams for my roof are in the way and I refuse to cut those for any reason. No matter, I have 10 foot ceilings so nobody will notice the rectangle on the ceiling. My biggest worry is that the IB will shake the projector. That is another on that will blow her mind. A hole, in the ceiling?!?!?!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Daniel, I should take some pictures around my house and show them to you. I've got more holes in the ceilings and walls than I care to count. Today I patched a few on some old projects, but another wiring project just this afternoon has given me a net increase of three holes in the walls. Unbelievably, the only thing in my house that's actually finished is my Home Theater! If your wife thinks she has it bad, and if you think it might help, I'll count all the holes in my walls and ceilings so you'll have substantiated evidence of how bad it could really be.

And tomorrow, I'm ripping out my back door! What fun!

If your wife will allow a front projector, then she's much more of a sport (and you're much luckier) than I originally inferred. (And it sounds like the two of you have fun together, which is the most important thing!)

Thanks for the kind words, and I wish you stunning results on your IB-Sub, drop-down screen, and FP projects.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
She isn't allowing it. One day, it will just show up. But first we have to finish furnishing the living room and re-do the kitchen. Sounds like you are going to have a busy day. House projects are never done. As soon as you finish one, you think of two more.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Ah, yes, one of those projects.

Dang! Now she knows what Cat-5E is. ;)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

My wife was the same way about my Shiva. I specifically designed it to fit into a corner and its look matched the decor. She still looked at it with distain at first, but now, she doesn't even notice it.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
You guys should explain to your wives that the HT equipment isn't ugly or in the way, but that they should look at is a "design challenge."

Pfft, and they say this marriage thing is tough.

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator
That's the only way to do things. Don't ask, just do it. If you have the cash and aren't negatively impacting your finances you should be able to buy whatever you please without her permission. Does she ask you before she goes out and buys a new pair of shoes? I just bring home new toys whenever I please. Whether it's a car or a sub or a big screen TV. My wife just smiles and tells me how much she loves me, so I've got it good.

Don't read me wrong, though: If she bitched and complained every time I'd still do it. In fact I'd bring home more toys just to piss her off. Then maybe she'd leave and I could find someone who respects me enough to let me enjoy my life. I don't say a word when she buys a new wardrobe so she has no right to complain when I buy something for myself.

Besides, most of the toys I buy are for the whole family and everyone enjoys them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks