H/K receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mofet_n, Dec 13, 2003.

1. mofet_n

mofet_n Extra

At work, we have just installed an HK 330 to the new Polk audio tower speakers. At 2 channels, playing U2 new dvd, at 0 db and 2 speakers et at 8db, the HK receiver, after about 2 minutes, reads protect then shuts off.
    What was HK thinking when they've done this. The old HKs never have done that.
    I never listen to anything at 0db (more like -30db on my hk), but still, why must the system shut itself up. Protect itself from what...

2. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Do you prefer smoke or fire? [​IMG] You are running it at max volume. I would expect some shutdowns during heavy bass tracks.

JohnS

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

If you are running a full 20Hz-20KHz on it and the Polk speakers are actually reaching the 30Hz with them then you will be putting a ton of strain on them. Like you said, new Polk speakers. It also depends which reciever. 45 watts is alot but if your trying to do max volume just remember it's gotta hit those subwoofer-type frequncies which will strain the hell out of it, even if your running maybe 75W you could be straining.

Like you said, new Polk speakers and new HK reciever. Try it on the old reciever that runs the same specs and the Polk speakers, see what happens.