What's new

H/K receiver vs Pioneer vs Onkyo (1 Viewer)

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently planning a DOWNGRADE for my stereo system, selling off my current setup for something smaller and more aesthetically pleasing. I work at Circuit City so I can purchase everything they sell at cost. I need to choose a receiver which for me is in the $200-400 range, most likely to go with Energy Take speakers (just two for now, and maybe more in the future). I suppose my top choices are the:

H/K AVR-125
H/K AVR-225
Similar Onkyo brands
Similar Pioneer brands

What should I go with? I'm guessing people will say the H/K, especially when I tell them that I care about music first. If so, how much of a step up is the 225 over the 125, especially given the speakers I am considering? Thanks for any help here.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
ive heard that the HK AVR 125 and 225 are both good but isnt the AVR325 the upgraded 320??? and its at 799.if the 325 is really 400 i'd go with that one

Jose G

Supporting Actor
When I chose between the 125 and the 225 the difference for me was in the few more watts the 225 pumped out. It is small, but significant enough for me. As for as the other receivers you mention, I don't think the sound quality comes close (well, close for some maybe, but not close enough for me). The HK's clean and warm sound blew me away, and the power rating is true, unlike the Onkyo's. As far as features, I really like the HK's logic 7, Vmax, and PL II, but if you want a 6.1 system then you may need to look into the Onkyo. I'm sure you know all of this anyway, so my .02 is for the 225.

BrianF

Stunt Coordinator
In that price range the H/K's are defintely better. I don't think that Pionner and Onkyo start sounding good until you get higher in the price range. And since you say that music is your first importance it's a no brainer. The H/K's will sound better for music. I would go with the 225 personally. You get a little more for your money. Since you get the products at cost I would wait until you can purchase the 325. I think that it's a big step up.

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure on the 325... it would cost me $130 more than the 225, and the only real benefit seems to be that it's 7.1 with the same power ratings. I can justify the 225 over the 125 ($49 difference in price for me), but the 325 still is $435, and for once I need to be firm about price. :)
I'm likely going to mate the receiver with NHT Superzeros and a Velodyne sub (see post in the speakers/subs forum).
Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks