What's new

H/K for HT (1 Viewer)

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I hate to post a question like this, but I'm looking for a budget receiver ($350-$450). I really like the H/K AVR 125, and I know they're well liked aroud here. But are they good for 95% HT, or are they mainly liked for music listening? Are they on par with Denon for HT performance? Also, I'm not interested in on-screen display, so other than the 10 additional watts, is there a good reason to got with the AVR 225 over the 125? Thanks in advance.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
After much research on this forum I finally took the plunge and went with the AVR225. From a quick look at the specs on the 125 I cannot see many big differences in the two. The wattage difference will not make much of a difference either.
I would suggest that you check out www.harmanaudio.com for the refurb models that they have. After purchasing the 225 and having no problems with it, I noticed that I could pick up a refurb 320 for $400. The 320 will offer future expandability for 7.1 sometime down the road. Just a thought though.
I love the 225 that I have currently and cannot wait to get the 320!

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I just checked the online owners manual on the 125 and 225; is it true that they do NOT have an adjustable crossover. It is set at 100 hz?

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I am also an HK owner, and I happy one I might add. Even the little talked about and probably looked down upon HK 110 is a great little (it's actually quite big) receiver. The 110 offers a ton of punch, and deserves a lot more attention than it gets. So, while the 225 or higher are certainly better receivers, keep in mind that the 125 will not disappoint!

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
While I can't comment on the 125's HT performance, I recently got one for music and I couldn't be happier. Absolutely amazing sound. For a good price on the 125 check HIFI.com $299 minus the 10% discount that can be found online = $270 (plus free shipping, no tax, and they're an authorized retailer).

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Dennis:

I think the H/K 125 or 225 will be great for home theater use. I have the 225 and love it; it's incredibly sweet sounding for both music and movies.

--AM

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
After much agonizing, I've narrowed my choices down to H/K AVR 320 ($456 total at J & R--probably negotiable) and the Denon 1803 ($515 total at Crutchfield--with free Sennheiser headphones). This is for almost totally HT, and 6-channel is not important right now, but in the future, who knows? Adjustable crossover is a must. Any final thoughts before I decide?

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
I should point out that the Denon 1803 can be had for under $400 online. I purchased mine from lgdsuperstore.com through Yahoo shopping for around $400 shipped with a one year replacement policy. Crutchfield is expensive!

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Yeah, I could get it for $386 shipped from and unauthorized dealer, but I was scared off of that. Plus, I was planning on getting a good pair of headphones anyway. Add them together, and it's like getting the warranty and peace of mind for $60.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
...just wanted to make sure you were aware.

I've enjoyed my 1803 very much. I would just suggest that you make sure you are certain you don't want a full set of preouts down the road.

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've heard, 6ave.com is an authorized denon e-tailer and if you call them up, you can get them to deal. I've never presonally delt with them, but it might be worth a shot. being an athorized e-tailer doesn't mean they can't deal, just that they agree to not advertise for less than denon tells them they can.

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis,

The 320 can be had from JandR for $399. They were trying to get a final batch from H/K three weeks ago, and apparently have gotten them in. That was the price I was told, so talk with them. They can also get you the 1803 for the same price, but they won't ship Denon. I see you are in NY (not sure where Queensbury is though) so perhaps you can pick it up.

6ave is also a good call. Bought from them too, and they had the 1803 in that neighborhood, they were just out of stock when I called three a month back.

You could also try Soundcity in NYC. Steve will get you the 1803 for that price. I believe he is out of the 320 though.

Btw, I decided on the 320 over the 1803 for the OSD, learning remote, etc. and it is quite nice.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply, Lou and everyone else. I went with the Denon 1803 from Crutchfield and used the headphone credit to get a pair of Sennheiser HD 500s for $30. Should be here tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks