What's new

H/K AVR 125 vs VSXD811S (1 Viewer)

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I can't comment on the Pioneer but I just puchased an HK225, basically the same as the HK 125, except with OSD and a little more power. Less feature on the HK but sound and build quality is about the best out there right now. I used to be a loyal Onkyo buyer but they've gone downhill in my opinion, trading features for build quality. HK would be my recommendation.

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
I have and HK 125 and a Pioneer 509 (which is a couple of models back but power spec wise is similar to the 811 except it's 100x5). Anyhow, the HK is amazingly more clear and dynamic. I use my HK exclusively for music and the Pioneer exclusively for HT. If you're just going to use it for movies then the Pioneer should be fine, if you want to use it at all for music I'd recommend the HK. Also, the HK is about 20-30% less loud than the Pioneer but still gets plenty loud.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
brian.

I say try both. I know if you set it up right,,, the HK is a true power amp. I can crank my 125 all the way to the max volume and its clean!! and I mean very clean sound.

I played with the 811 2days ago and I thought it was ok,, had some hiss on high end of the volume. Pioneer does not really impress me one bit.
If your looking for a 5.1 AVR125 will not burn a hole in the wallet and love the looks (personal preference). If you are really needding 6.1 pionner will work fine,, but I am sure there is better at that price or less.... maybe the new Neo6 Panasonic might be worth an test.
good luck!

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
i have the 810s and for HT the HK and Pioneer sound the same IMO ... for music with my speakers the H/K had alittle more lows but the soudn was close H/K seems to sound more "lively" but $99 compared to the $400 i took the best deal

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
get it and see.
I played the 811 in my 13x17 living room , it played fine. I hooked back up my HK125 and it played "BETTER".
:D

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
Its so hard to decide how to spend money. I would like to make the best choice for my money. After reading some good review on the 6070, I am thinking about that receiver. Or its little brother the 6060 which is the same. Lower THD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks