H/K 520 or VR-6060

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

I just found the H/K 520 online for 499.00. Thats an awesome deal.

1- Is the H/K 520 a better receiver powerwise
    2- Are there still problems with this model
    3- What room size do you use this in
    4- Does it have dts-es,dd ex

2. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

1. yes, it will sound much better in 2 channel stereo. H/K receivers sound much more musical than kenwood from 2 channel stereo sources.
    2. maybe. most receivers have one flaw or another. Try and get a recent build, check manufacture date on the back if you can.
    3. I have an avr320, 520 adds 20more WPC. my room is about 20x14. the 320 has plenty of power
    4. it does DTS ES discrete and matrix, but it only amplifies 5 channels. no DD EX

3. Brian_Tho

What level do you listen to movies at in your 20x14 room. The 320 would be more in my range anyway.

4. Rick_FL

usually -15 to -20

5. Brian_Tho

how high does it go. Is that reference or just your normal listening. Have you had any problems with yours? video, logic 7?

6. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

A local store, Fry's Electronics, recently had these on clearance at $399 (they've been dropping it every week since they started to get 525s in)... I still couldn't bring myself to buy it because I've read too many accounts of random shutdowns and problems with the Logic 7 circuitry with this particular model. Additionally, it only drives 5 channels so you need an external amp if you want DTS ES or other 6.1 formats.
    Still, I rarely, if ever, see negative accounts of the sound quality put out by H/K receivers. I really waffled on buying it, but the reliability question just bothered me too much. [​IMG]
    - Andy

7. Brian_Tho

What do you have Andy? What size room are you in, and your impressions of your receiver?

8. Rick_FL

ref level on the h/k is -15 I believe, atleast for setting the SPL with the remote. I've had it to -10 before. The highest is goes is +8 I think. H/K receivers in general do not distort as you crank them up. Lots of clean power, then again they suck up a lot of power from your wall too

9. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

Brian,
    I don't think anyone would be interested in hearing my impressions of my current receiver... it's an old "digital-ready" Yamaha RX-V493. :b
    I've had it for at least 6 years now and it's been great, but it's definitely time to upgrade - it can't decode Dolby Digital signals on its own, much less DTS, PLII, DD-EX, DTS-ES etc. Plus, it's 70w x 3 but an anemic 20w x 2 in the rear channels. I think (unfortunately) that it's gotten to the point where it just doesn't do my Boston Acoustic setup justice. It's destined to live out its days in the bedroom. [​IMG]
    - Andy

10. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Brian-
    The new HK 525 does have ddex

11. Brian_Tho

Don how do you like your 320? What size room are you in, and what levels do you listen at?