What's new

H/k 320 Vs H/k 325 (1 Viewer)

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
i can get the HK 320 on ebay (authorized) for about $300 and the 325 is like about $500 range. so can u guys tell me the major difference between the two

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I've had both receivers so I can definitely tell you the differences.

Both basically have the same power and sound. The remote is exactly the same. The 325 adds 7 amplified channels vs 5 for the 320. If you want to do 7.1 on the 320 you need to buy a separate amp for the surround rear speakers.

325 also has.

1. Triple X-over bass management. You can set different crossovers for the front, center and rear surrounds.

2. DD-EX. 320 only has DD 5.1, no EX

3. Slightly different display. 325 has two lines of info on main display. For instance, on line 1 it will display. DVD/ COAX 1. Line 2 DOLBY DIGITAL EX. On the 320, it will only display DVD in big letters. You get input and surround mode info displayed on the 325.

4. Video 2 input has automatic switching between digital and analog source. In case you have a cable box that does analog for the lower channels and digital for the Digital Cable stations, it will automatically sense which input is being sent a signal. I know some people complained they had to manually switch from analog to digital input with their cable box.

5. Cooling fan. 325 has one, 320 doesn't. Probably because of the added 2 channels on the 325. People have mentioned the fan comes on which is a little annoying during quiet passages on the 525. I've only had my 325 for a few days but the fan has never come on. Had the receiver on about 6 hours each day. If it's well ventiliated, it may not activate.

6. 325 weighs 40lbs while 320 weighs 32. Dimensions are the same but 325 is heavier. Probably because of the two added amps. Maybe a heftier power supply too?

7. If you only want to do 5.1 on the 325, you can use the other two speaker outputs for the multizone option. You can play a different source in room 2, while watching/listening to another source in the main room. 320 has multizone also but you need an amp.

Both receivers are very good. If you really want 7.1 and don't have a spare amp handy, get the 325. If you only plan to use 5.1, save some money and get the 320.

I'm going PM you some other info.

Cooper_B

Agent
A deal-breaker of a difference for me is that all the X20 series receivers apparently digitize all their analog inputs, unconditionally. I have sent a few different emails to HK's support staff, and they confirmed that there's no way to bypass the digitizing of RCA inputs on the 320, whereas the 325, 525, etc. all have an explicit bypass.

In other words, don't get the 320 unless you plan on using a digital connection from CD player to receiver. As my Yamaha CDC-775 CD changer has excellent DACs, it would be a waste to use the digital out, and it would be destructive to digitize its analog outputs.

That having been said, I'm still stereo-only at the moment, and loving it.

-Cooper

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Don't mean to hijack here, but Cooper, I have a Yamaha CDC 765 changer (I got in '97 and I assume it is the prior year model to yours?) that I tried hooked up to a Denon 3802's optical input vs. hooked up to the 3802 to the cd analog input with a couple of good Monster connects so I could direct A/B compare them to each other in a "shootout". It was by no means a big diference, but I felt that the Denon's DACs sounded slightly better than the Yamaha's.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Not quite sure what Cooper means about the digitizing. When I had my 320, I used analog outs from the CD player to the HK. I generally played it in stereo mode and sounded fine to me. I guess you mean there's no analog bypass? If so, I guess it wasn't an issue to me.

Now I have the 325 and connect my CD player the same way, thru the analog CD inputs. Still sounds good. I mostly listen in stereo mode.

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
all i am going to connect to my receiver is dvd player, ps2, and a vcr. SO, is there any problem with the digitalizing issure?

Jason GT

Second Unit
It's not a major issue unless you're a music purist (and the DAC on your CD player is better than that on the AVR).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks