What's new

Older H/K receivers, 320 vs 325 (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
After quite extensive research, I found my optimum starter set up: HK AVR-325 & JBL NSP1's (I will take recommendations for a decent cheaper sub (not sure on the $150 sony, overkill for my small living room).

I want the 7 channels for a cheap upgrade path this year, and I like the Logic 7 for video games...and I need the multiple s-video inputs for my game consoles.
Anyway, I am finding that I am straining my budget on the HK325 (J&R has it through Amazon for $550. I can get the 320 for $398 @ harmanaudio.com. I did some searches on the forum, but I am trying to find out what the differences between the older model and the newer one is?

Thanks!
Dave

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
For starters, the 320 has only 5 amplified channels. The 325 also adds the triple crossover and DD-EX. Something else you need to consider in the price is that harmanaudio.com will charge you sales tax and shipping. For me, the total for the 320 is $455.533. There are other places like onecall that sell the 325 for $549 delivered. For me, the added features would be well worth the $95.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Hm, that's what I was afraid of. I couldn't seem to find how many of the channels were amped channels. *Sigh* I guess I keep working overtime =) Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I should cut down on the speaker budget and go with the Onkyo speaker set that CNET likes so much, that would save me the extra subwoofer money...

Jose G

Supporting Actor
If you want to do anything more than 5.1 with the 320 you have to use an external amp for the other channels. For example, the 325 can be uses as a dual zone receiver without another amp unlike the 320 which would need the outboard amp. The component switching on the 325 is rated up to 50MHz while component video switching on the 320 is rated up to 35MHz. The 325 has a fan, also. If you want 6.1or 7.1 logic 7, the 325 is the way to go.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
If you need to save some bucks on the sub, I would just get the DLS 10 from PartsExpress.com- it's less than $100 and seems to have a slight edge over the Sony. I would do this before changing the speaker package. In fact, I would downgrade on the receiver before downgrading on speakers- if this is the case. Speakers are the most important part of your set up- period! Although the 325 makes my mouth water. Drip! drip!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I will check out the DLS sub! I know I should spend more money on the speakers, but I am particularly concerned about the 7-channel sound (LOTR in DTS-ES discrete), and I have read on the 6-channel reversal effect. I would vastly prefer to have 7-channel capability for an easy upgrade, I can toss in a couple more JBL's at some point in the future when I have spare $$.

Still, It seems like I have heard some pretty decent things about the Onkyo speaker set, does anyone have any experience with them? Cnet seems to love them an awful lot.

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Stick with the JBL's. My personal opinion is to buy fewer things now and wait longer to fill out the system. Even it it means waiting a while to get the sub, wait and make sure you get what you want even if it takes longer.

I'm currently doing the same thing, and I'll be ordering the HK325 next week. I probably won't get around to the sub until summer '04, but I'm holding out for a SVS. I'd personally rather do it right than do it fast.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
That's how I feel too, I would rather do it right the first time even if it takes me a while limping by without all the speakers/equipment....

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks