What's new

Gunsmoke in limbo? (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Sadly, it looks like Gunsmoke might well be joining Rawhide as being stalled and in limbo. From someone in the know, more releases of Gunsmoke are currently not a part of CBS/Paramount future release plans. While subject to change, CBS/Paramount plans their releases well in advance, sometimes up to a year and a half!

It might well take them 30 years to complete Gunsmoke on DVD, if ever. I wonder if DVD will still be the prominent format once they're done.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It sucks.

When I first heard about blu-ray, I wished companies could take advantage of it with standard definition content to fit a significant amount of content into 1 disc rather than just high definition versions at similar lengths as DVD. The size of the disc was the main reason I got excited before realizing it was only being used to provide high definition content.

Seems like it would be the only way to get something like Gunsmoke would be through DVD quality on Blu-Ray without any restoration done to keep cost down both with numbers of disc, packaging, and savings from not doing expensive film restoration.

Is that even possible with blu-ray (Fitting 3-6 times the content of a DVD depending on if its single or dual layer at 480p resolution and DVD style bit rates and all that?). Or is it forbiddon by those overseeing the technology or just not possible with the hardware?

Imagine getting season sets on a single disc. I'd love it. Instead all we get is a similar amount of content as a DVD disc with improved resolution (Which while nice, isn't really necessary for most classic content imo).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by jdee28

Sadly, it looks like Gunsmoke might well be joining Rawhide as being stalled and in limbo. From someone in the know, more releases of Gunsmoke are currently not a part of CBS/Paramount future release plans. While subject to change, CBS/Paramount plans their releases well in advance, sometimes up to a year and a half!

Hmmm... I'm not sure about this one. I don't believe Gunsmoke is stalled, but anything's possible. Rawhide, on the other hand, really does seem to be at a minimum, on the brink of being stalled. But I'm pretty sure we can plan on seeing more Gunsmoke. Things do change though, so who knows.

Gary "I wouldn't worry about Gunsmoke being stalled unless we get through the 1st Q of next year without a release - if that happens then I'd agree the show is stalled" O.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Gunsmoke is not stalled and studios do not announce their releases more than a few months in advance. This is because market forces are constantly changing. Neither CBS nor Paramount have ever announced release dates that far in advance.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

Gunsmoke is not stalled and studios do not announce their releases more than a few months in advance. This is because market forces are constantly changing. Neither CBS nor Paramount have ever announced release dates that far in advance.
I agree that studios generally do not officially announce releases more than 3/4 months in advance (although once in a while that's not true), but in all fairness to John's initial post, he didn't say CBS/Paramount officially announces anything a year or more in advance. He said they plan things that far in advance. And that's absolutely true. Announcing and planning are two different animals altogether.

Gary "the studios generally have to plan out releases a good 9 to 12 months in advance, if not longer, just to get all their ducks in a row (so to speak)" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Hopefully I'm wrong, but given the current economy, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS/Paramount starts stalling more and more series, especially the black and white ones :(

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, anything is possible John. It wouldn't be the first time a studio changed up plans and if that's what is happening it won't be the last time. But I'll stick to my guns (no pun intended) and maintain that we shouldn't be worried about GUNSMOKE being stalled until we get into the first quarter of next year and still don't have a release. If that happens, I'll be very concerned. My guess is we'd hear something official by Thanksgiving. If we get to Christmas and haven't heard about a release date, then I'll change my tune and agree that this show is stalled out (like RAWHIDE apparently is right now).

Gary "and the economy is definitely the 'wild card' in all this type of talk" O.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Although meaningless in the real world, Amazon has a place-holder for GUNSMOKE Season 4 and the usual suspects have already begun discussing ("Reviewing") their predictions on the DVD fate of the series. There may be hope John.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I share the same fear John, Gunsmoke is/was one of my prized tv dvd series. I always bought each release as soon as they were released. My fear is that Bonanza has taken Gunsmokes place. While I plan on buying Bonanza (another favorite of mine) I also want Gunsmoke to continue. My opinion (no facts just opinion) is that they don't want 2 westerns out at the same time. Maybe they think fans will choose between one or the other and because of the economy can't afford both? All I know is that I have a baaaaadddd feeling about this that I just can't shake.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I think if anything, BONANZA edged RAWHIDE out the door, not GUNSMOKE. I'm still confident that we'll see more Marshal Dillon in the first quarter of '10. Just my two cents based on what little info I have right now.

Gary "I'm telling everyone - RAWHIDE, not GUNSMOKE, is the series that's on the cusp of being abandoned" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Gary, as usual, I'm in complete concert with your assessment. We haven't heard a peep from the studio about a S4 "Rawhide" release in so long that I'd be VERY surprised if the series is resurrected. Fully agree that "Bonanza" and "Gunsmoke" have a definite edge over "Rawhide" for seeing future releases. At least "Gunsmoke" has color seasons that can potentially "goose" its chances--"Rawhide" is B&W all the way, and that spells doom in my mind when you factor in the economy and demography.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
With Gunsmoke, CBS/Paramount has 8 more seasons to go before they reach the color shows. I doubt we'll see them, unless they skip ahead to them.

I think we can say with relative certainty that there will be no more Gunsmoke releases for the calendar year 2009. Next year, 2010 is a different animal. Hopefully, Gunsmoke will continue. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

If the show isn't stalled, and CBS/Paramount still has to do split seasons for Gunsmoke, I wish they'd release both volumes on the same day, like Bonanza. Maybe then it wouldn't be 2026 when they complete the series.

That very date points to the fact that even if releases do continue, I would think the shot of Gunsmoke being completed is slim, Bonanza and Rawhide too. I could see them all being completed only if they did an online/mail order thing, a la the Warner Achives, for the later seasons. I doubt the quality would be as good; they'd probably release them unremastered, again like Warners.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatOz /forum/thread/291059/gunsmoke-in-limbo#post_3692396

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Ok Gary, I still believe in Santa, so I won't give up hope. But it could be a horse race between CBS/P and another stock market collapse.

As far as "taking it to the bank" I prefer the mattress these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks