Guess what I got for hooking up a friends Home Theater.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Anderson, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

My neighbors mother loves my Home Theater. She said she wanted something like that as well. So today she took me to Circuit City and said to pick out a system... but nothing like mine (she did not want to spend as much). She got a Sony HT in a box (sounds ok but not what I would want). A sony DVD player. Four Bose speaker stands and I got her 100' of Monster cable, obtical cable, and I gave her my old gold plated RCA and S-Video cables. For her daughter (my neighbor) she bought a VCR a camcorder, extra battery, a bag and 4 camcorder tapes.
    As she was getting rung up I walked away because I felt the final price was none of my buisness. She called me back and asked what 27" TV was nice. I pointed to one of the Sony's and said that was ok. She told the girl to add that as well. I asked her why since her daughter just got a new TV. She said it was for my bedroom. She had talked to my wife who told her we were getting a 27" for our daughter and one for ourselves (both for bedrooms) for Christmas to replace the 19" ones we have. I really tried hard to tell her no but believe it or not she ORDERED the sales girl to ring it up (she was rather happy to do so).
    She said she did it because of how nice my wife and I have been to her daughter and all the things we have done for her as well as for me hooking up all the stuff for her. Three hours later she was up and running and she and her husband love it.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Frank
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true[​IMG]

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

SWEEEETTTT!!!!

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I want a Sony VPL 11W10HT projector and a 120", 1.5 gain motorized tension screen. I will come over and tweak that system they have so sweet, you could make juice from it.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
  5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Wow, thats awesome...
    Even without the TV, I'd love to buy/hookup/setup a complete system free of charge for anybody!
    Maybe i should become a professional HT Installer/ISF Technician.. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
    Horoscope:
    Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

VERY COOL!
    way to go!
    I always HATE helping people pick stuff out because I don't keep up on stuff as it comes out, and I always feel responsible if they're not happy with their purchase [​IMG]

7. Frank Anderson

Believe me the intent was to do it free. I really enjoyed helping her out with her selection and being able to put it together. (Its really freaking weird that I don't even have to open the manuals, she also noticed and made mention of that). We have become very good friends of our neighbor and her parents. I have done little home repairs (nothing major) and helped their daughter with lots of things since she moved across the street. Mostly moving heavy objects, some emergency pluming work and generally being available when her parents weren't around. It's not difficult to be helpful when you have a single, attractive 29-year-old living across the street.
    The thing is, da wife and I have always felt like we owed them. Since "mom" is an RN she comes over every Wednesday and gives my wife her weekly injections. I am pretty much a wimp when it comes to needles much less sticking them into someone else. So because of that (and the fact that they are just good people) we make sure that we are always available when "daughter" needs help with something.
    The way my wife has explained it to me is "mom" has always been extremely grateful that we "watch over" her little girl (she is an only child, her sister died at age 4). My wife has even gotten into the habit of leaving a little later to go to work in the mornings to make sure our neighbor gets off ok. And the fact that they both know "we are right across the street" seems to mean more to them than it does to me.
    Anyway it was just so unexpected I had to share it. Maybe we all can learn that no matter how small the favor we do for someone might mean to us, it might mean a great deal more to them. Oh did I mention she was attractive, single and 29? She's just a little picky about the idiots... er men she goes out with.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Frank

8. Gilbert Galindo

Gilbert Galindo Stunt Coordinator

Shit, Congrats my man! Tell her to get me one for my daughter too. I can't hook up speakers like you can but Mexican people are pretty handy with their tongue. Ala, King Pin. Just joking, enjoy, Gilbert.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

29 and single eh?
    a little old for my tastes... but mind if I come for a visit? [​IMG]

10. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Its nice to get nice gifts, huh? Guess what I got for nothing? A friend of my finacee's was moving to NYC, so for some unknown reason she gave away most of her possessions, instead of selling them. She gave us a 35" Sony TV, Onkyo Receiver and Onkyo 5-disc CD changer, and two Infinity speakers. We did help her move, but she took us out to dinner seperately to thank us for that. I've helped many a friend move for a slice of pizza and a beer. I really need to get more friends that will supply me with a truckload of electronics in return.

11. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

hummm....Too bad they doen't live a little closer to me. [​IMG] I'm 28 soooo.... hehe [​IMG]
    But, I wish I could find someone like that near me. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Jeff Blair
    AIM blairj2
    Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    My DVD's

12. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

It all comes back to ya....this is proof!
    Since I'm a big guy I always get asked to help move. I EXPECT to eat if spend half a day helping though.
    I'd take a new Toshiba TW [​IMG]
    Brent L
    ------------------
    OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
    plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
    MEETS PAGE and register.

13. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    My initial response to the thread title was "Electrocuted?", but a 27" Sony is way better. [​IMG]
    Rob
    ------------------
    "That suits me down to the ground."

14. Frank Anderson

Actually I did that last week fixing my daughters lamp. Black burn on right hand, fire ball spark which burnt a quarter size hole in sweat pants.
    For those who don't know... Always unplug before messing with bare wires. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Frank

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Ive been considering moving to Virginia, now Im thinking about it even more. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

16. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

17. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

I'm actually much more touched by the connection between your neighbor's family and your own than by the gift (which is admittedly shweet). It seems to hearken back to another era in this country when neighbors were Neighbors, not the people next door you ignore unless their stereo is too loud.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

18. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

19. Frank Anderson

Yup... can't beat having a great neighbor. Makes up for the asshole next door.
    When did you move to Richmond Andrew?
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Frank

20. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Michael Lee: Thanks for the info... im 16, and graduate in a year and a bit... gotta start looking at post secondary school and careers, i think going into HT installation could be a big option, along with InfoTech stuff....
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
    Horoscope:
    Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.