What's new

GTA3 oddness (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Ever since I got GTA3 there has been this oddness; I wasn't sure if it was a glitch or the software or the hardware. When I got around a corner or do something that changes a lot of scenery sometimes there is part (like the road or the side of a building) that doesn't draw in as fast as the rest and is left showing the previous texture. It only takes a second to go away. Does this happen to anybody else or is it just me?

jeremy

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeremy.

I believe that the "glitch" is caused by the limited memory of the Playstation. The machine can't hold all the textures it needs in active memory and as you drive around the city new textures will constantly be loaded from the disc.

You will notice the draw-in effect if you stand on a long, straight road with a good view (the one by the police station in Portland is a good example). If you turn around really quickly you will notice the buildings in the distance appearing literally out of thin air. Sections of the road will sometimes fade into view as well.

Actually I am amazed at how well this is done although it is slightly disorienting at times. On the PC this effect would probably result in stuttering gameplay unless you had enough RAM.

Regards,

Allan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yeah I've seen that, offten an odd blue of green fill before it draws everything in. Happens a lot when you move fast from the point of view of the sniper rifle.

Dan (UK)

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
The other day I running in one of the subway tunnels in Staunton Island when I was hit the subway. The incident knocked me straight up into the "suburb" level. Since I wasn't far enough in the game, I was trapped there for eternity. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.