What's new

Grey,White, Silver screens ? (1 Viewer)

Amal

Grip
Hi..Ok i have decided to use blackout fabric for my screen. Now the big question...What should i Spray it. Some research shows that White PVC Vinyl works..Altough Grey could be equally good but i think it reduces the overall Lumens (not a good option ?? ) While Silver seems to be the way to go. Anyone experimented wih paints. Perhaps Alluminium...Gloss finishes..etc...What works Best.. and Is spray painting on blackout Fabrica good idea... does it work ?? does it last ???

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
DO NOT get a glossy finish!!! Use a flat paint to minimize glare and hot spotting in the centre of the screen.

Having said that, I have done lots of experimentation with white, light gray, and silver paints and combinations/mixtures of various commercial Behr paints.

I find that white works good for a projector that has decent contrast ratio, such as a crt projector. For most digital projectors that I have seen, they need a slight boost in blacks accomplished by either a gray or silver screen.

During my testing, I found that a silver screen actually boosted the black levels and provided richer colours as well so I decided to go that route.

It would be beneficial to state exactly what projector you have

Moved to displays

Amal

Grip
HI thanks for reply. Well The projetcor is made by LG. Its a DLP with contrast 1500:1 and 1500 Lumens

Amal

Grip
Hi again...

What type of paint did you use for silver screen.. any particular brand/type ..did you spray or roll on..On what surface did you use it. I am wanting to use blackout fabric..

Amal

Grip
Thanks Neil,

I am going to try out Matt finish, Silver and a super white for starters...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks