What's new

GREAT TV series from the 80s, 90s yet to see video release (DVD or otherw) (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Hello Warner Brothers?.......how about finishing "The Drew Carey Show" and "Knots Landing" on DVD? Any day now would be nice :) Better yet.....give the rights over to Shout Factory! or Star Vista so they can get it done on DVD already!!!! The fans would like to see these shows again before were all dead and buried!!!!! Thank you! :)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd like to see Major Dad.

If unfinished shows that are partially available are allowed, I'm happy to see Newhart being restarted and hope that Coach will also be restarted by Mill Creek now that they hold the DVD rights.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'M FAIRLY SURE a similar thread exists but if so, I haven't come across it (probably hiding in plain sight). Obviously, "great" is a very subjective word. However, a number of these were critical, if not ratings hits..

MR. AND MRS. SMITH (1996) Scott Bakula, Mario Bello

I liked this series. It was fun and didn't take itself too seriously

Anybody remember Detective in the House with Judd Hirsch from Taxi. Only had three to four episodes. Wikipedia doesn't even have a mention of it. Same for the tv version of Foul Play

James

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Here's my list of shows I'd like to see (even though I know some are problematic with music rights or other issues):

UNRELEASED AT ALL
Hardcore TV (HBO). I know I'm not the only person who remembers this!
Herman's Head (Fox)
No Soap, Radio (ABC)
Best of the West (ABC)
New York Undercover (Fox)
B.J. and the Bear and (especially) Lobo (NBC)

INCOMPLETE RELEASES
Whose Line Is It Anyway? (ABC)
Drew Carey Show (ABC)
The Practice (ABC). I know foreign markets got farther than we did, but the US should get further than "volume 1" and the final season
The Hitchhiker (HBO). The three HBO seasons, at least, should be released complete in the US).
T.J. Hooker (at least, finish up the ABC seasons)

NON-USA SHOWS
The Cleopatras (BBC)
Ghosts (1995, BBC)
Not the Nine O'Clock News (complete series, not "best of")
Armstrong & Miller (Paramount Comedy/Channel 4. Bizarrely, only series 4 got a release in the UK)
Come Back, Mrs Noah (BBC)
Whose Line Is It Anyway? (Channel 4)
The Paul Hogan Show (Nine Network, only a single "best of" release came out Down Under)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
B.J. and the Bear and (especially) Lobo (NBC)

There's really only one episode from the original broadcast run on the trading circuit I know of for the former: Lobo's Revenge (Season 1; Episode 6).

Even if the original negatives weren't lost in a fire in 2008, there is NO way they're going to do this now. Especially with their outrageous transfer costs.

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
There's really only one episode from the original broadcast run on the trading circuit I know of for the former: Lobo's Revenge (Season 1; Episode 6).

Even if the original negatives weren't lost in a fire in 2008, there is NO way they're going to do this now. Especially with their outrageous transfer costs.

Maybe not B.J., but I'm certain that modern transfers do exist for Lobo, since that show has been re-run in recent years on RTV.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I just remembered you said you had three episodes of B.J. from the original NBC run in LP mode. So that's now 4 out of 48.
I have the entire run of B.J. on DVD from a "source" that includes a Lobo crossover. Sadly I think some of the discs got scratched; I may have to check them out on my computer.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I still to this day, remember glaring splice marks in one episode when the series was FIRST aired. It was like they just "slapped" it together.

Or the NBC censor got the scissors out before air! I remember this with the pilot episode of Quark. I had off-air NBC recordings for years, and there was a glaring splice that abruptly transitioned one scene into another. Years later, when the episode was re-run on the HA! comedy channel (and on the DVD release), the bit just before the splice was re-instated, and includes some sexual innuendo that would be considered mild now, but was likely the reason NBC made that cut!

As for why that bit is included in the episode now, I would guess that NBC made that trim themselves, after Columbia had submitted it to them for air, so the copy of the episode retained by Columbia would still be the uncut one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks