What's new

GREAT TV series from the 80s, 90s yet to see video release (DVD or otherw) (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I'M FAIRLY SURE a similar thread exists but if so, I haven't come across it (probably hiding in plain sight). Obviously, "great" is a very subjective word. However, a number of these were critical, if not ratings hits..

My picks to start
(at least a couple wld probably warrant their own threads, if they haven't yet)

MIDNIGHT CALLER (1988-1990) Gary Cole, Mykelti Williamson

REASONABLE DOUBTS (1991-1993) Mark Harmon, Marlee Matlin

MR. AND MRS. SMITH (1996) Scott Bakula, Mario Bello

EZ STREETS (1996-1997) Ken Olin, Joe Pantoliano, Jason Gedrick
(a few episodes were issued on DVD as a concept-type release called "Brilliant but Cancelled: EZ Streets")

OUR HOUSE (1986-88) Wilford Brimley, Deidre Hall

HERBIE THE LOVE BUG (1982) Dean Jones, Patricia Harty

ENOS (1980-1981) Sonny Shroyer, Samuel wright
(How this much-requested "Dukes of Hazzard" spin-off remains unavailable, even on MOD, is beyond me).

A YEAR IN THE LIFE (1987-88) Richard Kiley, Trey Ames, Adam Arkin

LADY BLUE (1987-88) Jamie Rose, Danny Aiello

THE COSBY MYSTERIES (1994-1995) Bill Cosby, James Naughton
(I know this one looks especially unlikely right now, what with Cosby's impending trial for alleged sex crimes. Then again, they released "Baretta" on DVD, despite its star's (Robert Blake) murder trial.)

Last edited:

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Well, speaking of Cosby, he also had that other Cosby comedy show for I think 4 years in the later half of the 90's. I recall it being a good show. He played a guy named Hilton Lucas (sp) who I think was a retired handyman or something like that.

Another show is Hogan Family - that was a good & popular show in the 80's (but changed names from Valerie to Valerie's Family to finally Hogan Family)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Cosby's 90s show ran for 4 seasons from 1996-2000. Each individual season plus a complete series set were released last year by German distributor Tiberius Film. They can be purchased on the German Amazon site.

Before all the scandal started, I really wanted this series to come out on DVD. I liked it better than his more popular 80s series (though there were some good episodes of that, esp. in Season 1), but not as much as I liked his late-60s The Bill Cosby Show, which I own along with Fat Albert.

So far I haven't yet been able to separate the man from his work and rewatch his shows. Hopefully someday I can, as I'd especially like to purchase this series since it features the last work of the great Madeline Kahn. I'm sure it will never get a Region 1 release, so the German set will likely be the only way to get it if/when I do.

http://www.amazon.de/Cosby-Komplett...=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p74_d4_i1

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Cosby's 90s show ran for 4 seasons from 1996-2000. Each individual season plus a complete series set were released last year by German distributor Tiberius Film. They can be purchased on the German Amazon site.

Before all the scandal started, I really wanted this series to come out on DVD. I liked it better than his more popular 80s series (though there were some good episodes of that, esp. in Season 1), but not as much as I liked his late-60s The Bill Cosby Show, which I own along with Fat Albert.

So far I haven't yet been able to separate the man from his work and rewatch his shows. Hopefully someday I can, as I'd especially like to purchase this series since it features the last work of the great Madeline Kahn. I'm sure it will never get a Region 1 release, so the German set will likely be the only way to get it if/when I do.

Thanks so much for that info - I didn't know that and I'd been keeping my eye out for that series for several years. Like you (and I suspect many others), I'm having a little trouble separating him as a man from him as the actor. I have always loved the 80's Cosby show, but it just seems somewhat "tainted" now and harder for me to watch, though I do still consider it a great show. As a reverse from you, I recall liking the 90's one but not nearly as much as I liked the 80's one, but I still have been looking for it for a long time. Thanks again for that info. You're probably right - a R1 release prob isn't likely anytime soon.

So I can cross that one off my list. Now if only someone would release the Hogan Family and rest of Perfect Strangers! :)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My big 5 in this catagory:

1) It's Your Move
2) Open All Night
3) Best of The West
4) Cold Case - Never happen.....
5) Dear John

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
Herman's Head
Flying Blind
Benson (Complete the series)
Archie Bunker's Place (Complete the series)
Enos (I second the above notion for this)
BJ & the Bear
The Fall Guy (Complete the series)
Too Close for Comfort (Complete the series & re-release the first couple of seasons as unedited instead of edited versions)

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
A friend of mine who died in 2010 frequently wished for a chance to see Shannon's Deal again.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Herman's Head
Flying Blind
Benson (Complete the series)
Archie Bunker's Place (Complete the series)
Enos (I second the above notion for this)
BJ & the Bear
The Fall Guy (Complete the series)

Too Close for Comfort (Complete the series & re-release the first couple of seasons as unedited instead of edited versions)
Add The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo to that and we're good to go!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Anybody remember "The Powers That Be" from the early 90s with John Forsythe, David Hyde-Pierce, and Holland Taylor? I remember it being a well written political satire which of course doomed it to an early demise.

There's likely no commercial market for it but I would buy a release.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
THE POWERS THAT BE was great but probably too-good of a satire that it went over many people's heads and therefore not dumbed-down enough to be a big hit with the general public. Still, a worthwhile show for the cast alone.

1980s:
It's a Living
The Hogan Family
It Takes Two
Just the Ten of Us
9 to 5
She's the Sheriff

1990s:
Empty Nest
Delta
The 5 Mrs Buchanans (I own a great set already, but would re-buy for Special Features and Commentary)
The Powers That Be

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
MIDNIGHT CALLER (1988-1990) Gary Cole, Mykelti Williamson

REASONABLE DOUBTS (1991-1993) Mark Harmon, Marlee Matlin

I'd be up for both series. My Midnight Caller episodes somehow "disappeared" when I divorced. I think I have all the Reasonable Doubts episodes taped, maybe missed one. I've never taken those to disc yet. It seems like a lot of work anymore to dub over all the crap I recorded from the years 1981 to 2002 or so. I'd rather just buy now.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
There's not really anything from the 1980's or 1990's that I'd be interested in, that hasn't already been released. Maybe a few one-season (or less) wonders, due mainly to actors I enjoy watching.

Nero Wolfe (maybe coming from VEI)
Blacke's Magic
Leg Work
The Law and Harry McGraw
Mancuso F.B.I.
Over My Dead Body
Burke's Law

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks