What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Great Christmas CDs - The Odder, the Better (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The Vangals OI to the World.

Its worth getting just for "I dont Belive In Santa Claus" and "Hang Myself From The Tree"

They also have a DVD of their annual Christmas concert.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave Sutton

Agent
If you enjoy the "retro swing" of The Squirrel Nut Zippers - I would recommend their "Christmas Caravan" album.

A lot of the music is original. (to say the least) :emoji_thumbsup:

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Fishbone's "It's a Wonderful Life" EP from the late 80's.

The title track is a totally funked-out summary of the movie of the same name. There is also "Slick Nick, You Devil You" about a dirty, alcoholic Santa who burglarizes your house instead of giving you presents. The original Bad Santa if you will. The other two are a reggae/gospel-ish song ("Iration") and another kinda anti-Christmas song ("Call Me Scrooge"? I think).

Anyway, it's a great little collection. I think it was only released on vinyl and tape back in the day; I totally wore out my only tape copy. Luckily all four songs were included on the 2-disk Fishbone anthology from a few years back.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I was just out looking for some new Christmas Music myself, but the local selection was pretty lame, just the usual suspects.

Except for one disk that caught my eye, and on first listening, has tremendous potential to be a future classic.
:)

Its called GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN by the Five Blind Boys of Alabama. Great spirituals with a sweet but solid tone, and the participation of great guests - including Les McCann, Me'shell Ndegeocello, George Clinton, Chrissie Hynde, and Tom Waits, among others on vocals, and Medeski on B3.

There's a few voices I'm not sure I care for (Tom Waits, Art Neville) but the gems make it worthwhile.

The only negative for some will be that it's one of the new EMI copy protected disks.

And the price today (C$19.99) doesn't suggest to me that with piracy on the run, EMI will reward us consumers with lower prices. :frowning:

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Slightly odd: ROCHE SISTERS - We Three Kings

Unheralded but definitely great: THE CHIEFTAINS - Bells of Dublin

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Probably my cd with the shortest running time but fun nonetheless: The Singing Dogs Jingle Bells along with their #22 hit Oh! Susanna.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I'll have to agree on the mentions of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas releases (although their first release is the better of the two) - and go see them live!

Any of the Bob Rivers stuff is also a treat - and I'm not saying that since his show is a local show either.

Oh, and Gary Ho-Ho-Hoey is good too - in fact, he performed at the Bob Rivers Christmas party up here in Seattle a few weeks ago. Good times.

dave wright

Agent
Real Name
Dave Wright
lots of worthy suggestions but most are pretty mainstream,to get off the main highway
take a peek over at the basichip website(basichip.com).theyve had some wonderfully offbeat and forgotten x mas albums for download in the past week or so with more on the way.ive added THE THREE SUNS-A DING DONG DANDY CHRISTMAS and AL CAITOLA AND RIZ ORTOLANIS-THE SOUND OF CHRISTMAS to my collection.currently up is a xmas jack webb dragnet episode from a 1953 10 inch lp.
here are a couple of my fave x mas recordings-
chrstmas cocktails vol 1 & 2 from the capitol ultra lounge series.
atomic magazines sleigh me comp
the star wars x mas lp 1980
the jackie gleason x mas collection
dean martin-making spirits bright

--------dave from jersey

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure if it ever came out on cd, But the Beatles Christmas record is my favorite. Every year they recorded a 45 for their fan club and then compiled them into a LP.
Sort of a MPFC Xmas Skit with the Beatles singing

George: Thanks for seeing our movie; our new movie will be in color
John: Blue

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=A88rj28gc051a

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I have a five song EP from Loreena McKinnett that is very nice: A Winter Garden (Five Songs for the Season). I believe she's Canadian, but her music draws from many sources (though largely Celtic). She tends to get a very beautiful, yet haunting sound.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Weirdest Xmas record ever: Paul Revere & The Raiders' A Christmas Past...And Present---totally bizarre! (I own this on CD--Columbia, not Sundazed, actually put it out for about 5 minutes).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Don't forget South Park: Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics, featuring such gems as Christmas Time in Hell and Merry Fu*king Christmas.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks