What's new

Great Christmas CDs - The Odder, the Better (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Wanted to start a thread about people's favorite or beloved Christmas CDs. I'll admit some self-interest: I'd like to expand my own Christmas CD collection, but have more than enough traditional takes on songs that I'm looking for something different. Would love to hear about "new" Christmas songs that, while sounding traditional and "Christmas-y", are still new to me.

Two examples: Amy Grant's "Breath of Heaven" and "The Night Before Christmas," both from her 1992 Christmas CD. Traditional (or at least conventional) in music and delivery, but new to many listeners (although "Breath" certainly receives airplay and has been covered a lot).

Probably my favorite non-traditional Christmas CD is Trans Siberian Orchestra's first Christmas CD. I also have a CD with blues/jazz versions of songs, but only a few songs really stand out.

Anyone have any great Celtic Christmas CDs? Swing? Punk?

George See

Second Unit
You want to swing, go for Brian Setzer Orchestra's christmass album...not really traditional swing but it's his unique swing/rockabilly mix. I like it.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
if you like the whiny indie rock genre, bright eyes put out a christmas album last year. im a fan of bright eyes but didnt particularly care for this album, however i can say that is perhaps the most evil sounding christmas album ive ever heard.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
BB King has a blues christmas CD. It's good and kind of different. You don't hear much bluesy Christmas music.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (remember those guys?) released a christmas CD that is very clever and Southern rockish. I can't remember the name of it, but it should not be hard to find.

The Brian Setzer rockabilly CD mentioned in a previous post is also worthy.

If you are a country music fan - try Toby Keith's christmas CD. It has some of the traditional stuff, but also some rather unique material.

Also, you're right...that Trans Siberian Orch. CD is one of the best ever!

Dave

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
"Santamental" by Toto's Steve Lukather.

Any X'mas album with Eddie Van Halen, Slash, Steve Vai, Mike Landau, Edgar Winter, AND Sammy Davis Jr. couldn't possibly be bad.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
phil spector's christmas gift for you is probably the best christmas album i've heard.

some other great tunes:

the pretenders - 2000 miles
the ramones - merry christmas (i don't want to fight tonight)
the pogues - fairytale of new york
the kinks - father christmas
spinal tap - christmas with the devil
run dmc - christmas in hollis
cocteau twins - winter wonderland

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
LOL...I have this CD I found in the bargain bin several years back for the whopping price of $4. It's called "A Very Funky Christmas" and is full of old-school rap versions of all the popular carols. Great stuff!!!

Also, please don't forget "Ho Ho Hoey" by the amazingly-talented, and equally obscure, guitarist Gary Hoey. :)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I've only ever needed two:

Phil Spector and Friends - A Christmas Gift for You
Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas

Both are works of perfection.

John Watson

Screenwriter
CHRISTMAS COCKTAILS (a disk from Capitols's Ultra Lounge series)

BUMMED OUT CHRISTMAS (sad or off-the-wall tracks, a la Fairy Tale of New York. The disk was from Rhino, I hope its still in print )

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I'd highly recommend a CD called "Blame it on Christmas, Vol 1" (as far as I know, there were no other volumes). It has spoofs of various Christmas songs, usually sung by people doing an impression of one famous singer or another.

And also, any of Bob Rivers's Christmas comedy albums, e.g. White Trash Christmas, Chipmunks Roasting on an Open Fire, Twisted Christmas etc.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
there's also a pretty good track that has henry rollins reading twas the night before christmas...it's quite trippy

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses. It's on thier best of CD. I have the 12" vinyl single not only a fun song but a great recording. The lead singer Patti ? died a few years back. I beleive she was in her mid 30's.

Speaking of A Charlie Brown's Christmas. Let's not forget about his best friend Snoopy with the Royal Guardmen singing a "Red Baron Christmas" (I think that's the title).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
One of my favorite Christmas CDs is "We Three Kings" by the Roches, which has been number 1 in my December rotation since its release in 1990.

The NY-based pop/folk trio puts their unique spin on 2 originals and a wide range of 22 classics, from a couple of movements of Handel's "Messiah" to "Frosty the Snowman". What's impressive here (aside from the sisters' trademark close harmonies) is the sheer variety in the arrangements. From a reverential "Do You Hear What I Hear", to a "Sleigh Ride" straight out of the early 50s, from a gently rocking "We Three Kings" seemingly inspired by Dire Straits to a nasal, Bronx-accented "Winter Wonderland", these gals do it all with style & good humor. Also a plus - they steer clear of the mawkish sentimentality that often mars Christmas albums by pop musicians.

If you like your Christmas music served up with genuine good cheer and a dash of musical wit, this is the CD for you.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Try the first Merry Axemas featuring many of your favorite guitar heros (Vai, Sambora, Satch, etc).

But my absolute favorite release is the already-mentioned Christmas Eve and Other Stories by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Can't wait to see them next week in Richmond!

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Call me crazy, but I always look forward to hearing Ringo Starr's Christmas album each year. It's called "I Wanna Be Santa Clause". I believe it was originally released 4 or 5 years ago, but was/is being re-released this year.

It's got some really fun songs that make great background music for your Christmas parties. Inevitably, someone ALWAYS asks "Isn't that Ringo Starr???".

If your feeling fab this season, pick it up.

Happy Christmas!

C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks