What's new

Grave Of The Fireflies: Collector's Series!!! (1 Viewer)

StevenA

Second Unit
According to animeondvd.com CPM will release GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES:COLLECTOR'S SERIES on 10/8/02.
I almost fainted with happiness upon reading the news!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

StephenA

Screenwriter
Dang, and I just spent 30 bucks on the other version a couple months ago. Guess I'll have to save up for the new version. Hopefully it'll be more centered than the old version, and the picture quality will look better.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
CPM has been on a roll quality wise lately. I won't be suprised if we see the transfer that's on the Japanese disc :)
I hope they use the LD cover, that was lovely!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I've raved about this film to anyone who will listen. An astounding movie and I look forward to a new release of this title.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Damn, I was getting ready to order the Warner R2 release which is supposedly excellent. Sounds like I had better wait.

Jeff

millercv

Second Unit
[comic book guy]

Most Depressing Film EVER

[/comic book guy]

Amazing flick though... I'll be getting this version too.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I knew there was a reason why I waited to get this title :D
After getting into DVD, I have slowly been getting more into anime as well, but somehow I find it a little bit hard to find out which versions to buy, expecially Asian discs. I've more or less taken the easy way out and decided to wait, since I've figured sooner or later the classics will be released in decent editions in R1 as well, and once again my strategy paid off :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Bjorn, don't forget to check out the Honneamise thread for the poster child of edge enhancement. It's so bad even I can see it clear as day! :)

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
The new version will be the Japanese recent transfer. I believe WHVJapan was very agreeable to things and worked well with CPM on it. Should be a kick ass version.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
what a quinky dinky.. i just got it from netflix lsa week and wanted to buy the japanese disc.. i'm happy to wait!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Cool news! I've been wanting to pick up GotF for some time. :)

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I've always felt this title needed a re-release. Great film, but the current DVD transfer looks like s**t!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Kleist, you recommended this to me last summer, but now that there's a CS version coming out, I think I'll hold off a little longer and just get that (or make my dad get it).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
funny how things happen. i just rented this and watched it for the first time last night.

obviously, all i can say is "Wow!"...

like i said, i watched it last night and it was one of the first things i thought of when i woke up. it had that much of am impact on me.

i was so into the story, that at times i think i almost forgot i was watching anime and not a "real" movie. with the opening, i just knew something terrible was going to happen. i tell ya, i bet disney will never do a flick like this...

but one thing that was bugging the heck out of me...

apparantly, the boy DID have money. he had thhe 7k yen from his mom. why, when his sister became so sick, didn't he use the money to help her? was it just because he was too young to really understand what was happening?

Heinz W

Second Unit
I too have this movie sitting on my shelf from Netflix, and first saw it a week ago. Astonishing film! No other animated film has ever had such an impact on me. I've watched it twice and will again at least once more before sending it back. I was set to order it online but fortunately Steven's post has saved me from two purchases.

I agree with Jeff on the Kleenex tie-in! What a tear-jerker!

But an absolutely extraordinary movie. I WILL buy the October release!

Re Ted's question, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I think the kids used up that money over time because near the end the boy was stealing clothes to sell for food money. And also 7000 yen isn't all that much is it?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey heinz - i'll have to watch it again to be sure, but i thought the sequence went like this.

1. the kids got the money while still living at their aunts. remember he bought the stove - which upset the aunt.

2. then they moved out. then the sister got sick, then he started stealing.

3. then, near the very end (after the doctors visit) he was at the bank (remember the scene in the bank where the people were saying the war is over and all the fleet was at the bottom of the sea) and drew out some more money.

again, not positive, but i think i have it right...

btw - i guess the issue isn't with the amount of money, but the fact that there was any at all???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks