What's new

Got to hear the klipsch rsw-12 today (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Oops, I should have said I can get the rsw-15 for $800 not the KSW-15. I edited my above post. That puts it in the vtf-3 range.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Where can one get a RSW-15 for $800? I am interested as I have a KSW-15 which I think is simply awesome.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Also Edward in the test you put the link up to, the reason the rsw15 did not test as well as the current test by Tom N is I believe that Brian has the sub either set up wrong or he had a weak, or defective unit, read the test by tom n that rsw15 is an animal if set up corectly
Mark:

Do you have a hotlink to that review? I have not read it, and I would very much like to.

No one is doubting the SPL capabilities of the RSW-15, nor the sound quality. Considering the fact that the sample model Brian tested pounded out 110 dB at 32 Hz 12 feet from the mic in a 3,600 ft3 (!!) room is evidence plenty of its "animal" nature, and I highly doubt it was weak or defective.

Also, he moved the sub several times to get the best results before finally taking his measurements. Give the guy some credit - I'm sure he knows how to set-up a sub and he writes for a pretty prestigious HT/HF journal.

Until I see instrumented testing (SPL vs. FR) demonstrating otherwise, I'm still of the opinion that the RSW-15 is not a bottom feeder. It was 15 dB down at 20 Hz, as compared to the 32 Hz level. That doesn't mean its a bad sub - Weatherhead loved it and so does just about everyone else that hears it. It seems to have few peers above 30 Hz in both sound quality and output.

Regards,

Ed

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I think one of the Klipsch employees posted on their forum stating the RSW-15 was tuned below 20Hz. If this is true, it could extend to near or below 20Hz at normal SPLs. However, the measurements in the HT-Hifi review were done at maximum clean output. It's likely the single 15" PR began compressing at the levels used in those measurements, and limited the response below 30Hz.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
A lot of the time the sub that goes lower is the sub likely picked as the least musical. I had a sub that was sealed and I built a ported. The ported used a 15" and the sealed a 12". without eq or room treatments the sealed sounded a lot better. after I implemented the eq though I found they both sounded the same down to about 30hz. after that the 15" just trounced it with low bass output. not to mention the ported had 15db more output down to 30hz and 25db more output below.

Also most commercial subs implement a form of eq or boost in the all important 30-45hz range to make the sub 'hit harder' its almost like the tv manufacturers that push the colour and contrast on their tv's to make them look more appealing. the subs sound more appealing. to be 112db at 32hz and not pushing the same levels above or below that frequency makes it look like there is a boost of some sort. It also implies that the sub is tuned higher than what may have been stated. or perhaps they tuned the enclosure lower than the fs of the driver or in other words make the driver play lower than it was designed to. 112db is still impressive. anywho the the klipsch and svs, hsu and even the diy route all seem to be solid products

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Here are the Tom Nousaine's test results from S&V on the RSW-15:

Bass limits(lowest frequency & max SPL with limit of 10% distortion at 2 meters in a large room)
Rsw-15: 20hz at 97db spl
112 db average spl from 25 to 62 hz
114.5 db maximum spl at 50hz
112db spl at 32hz
he also mentioned that it went down to 16hz, but with a rise in distortion at the lowest frequencies

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
112 dB at 32 Hz @ 10% THD
97 dB at 20 Hz @ 10% THD

There ya have it folks - 15 dB down at 20 Hz as compared to 32 Hz. Exactly what Weatherhead measured.

I'm not Klipsch bashing either - I demo'd this sub line at a local Klipsch dealer - it sounds very good. Smooth, articulate, detailed and powerful. It just lacks authority on some of the ultra low HT stuff. For music, unless you are into organ music, it seemed to excel.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks