Got to hear the klipsch rsw-12 today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tabor, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

I auditioned the klipsch rsw-12 sub today. All I can say is I found another love. This sub will go great with my rf7's, its powerful and hits very low. Now to save the money up for it. By the way my hsu vtf2 is now for sale in the hardware section if anyone's interested.[​IMG]

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Chris, have you auditioned any of the SVS or DIY subwoofers? The RSW-12 might give you more of the same great bass you get from the RF-7s but given its small size, and measurements of the RSW-15, it's a little lacking under 30Hz. A great option, though, if you have limited space.
    [Ah yes, the typical simultaneous post by someone who was thinking exactly what I was. [​IMG]]

4. Chris Tabor

what would a svs and rsw combo be like?? I love the looks of svs subs and how low they can go but there isn't anyway to audition them. Will they give as much punch as the rsw lines do?

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Here's some reading you might find interesting, this guys switched from Klipsch RSW-15 to CS Ultra's and liked the SVS better:
    http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/vi...ng=&sessionID={5AD1C55B-CDBA-4B99-988A-A677CD485C91}
    I've just had the in store demo of all the Klipsch RSW line, I prefer my single SVS CS Ultra to any other commercial sub I've demoed. For HT their nothing short of OUTSTANDING!

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I listened to the klipsh line of subs and found them to have too much port noise and indeed not enough depth, they even sounded like they were struggling and couldn't even presurize the tiny room that we were demoing in. I then listened to the Velo CHT-15 in a room 5 times the size and was amazed.

You currently have a vtf2?? I heard a vtf3 and it was outstanding, I'm sure the vtf2 would blow away the Klipsh.

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I agree with the others, and would go out on a limb and say your really taking a step backwards.

The RSW series are nice subs, and give plenty of slam in the 30 and up area but below that, as pointed out in nearlty every post, their lacking. If slam is what you want and below 30hz output is not important than by all means buy it.

As to the SVS, the lower the tune you loose a little punch in the upper freqs. But gain muchooooo lower end and spl responce their. You could opt for a 2531 which would keep the slam you want and drop lower & louder than the RSW-12.
    You could also have a dual tune, 2531 with a 2231 port to change the tune and get down a little deeper and not give up to much slam.

Email Tom or Ron at SVS with your questions and they be straight up with you on that. They certainly don't want you to buy something your not happy with and might even push you in a different direction, that being the Klipch you wanted so badly to start.

Be sure to read the links posted to give you better feel for comparisions....

Regards
    Geoff

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

James, I assume you are talking about the KSW series. The RSW is a little different. For one thing they don't have ports, they have passive radiators. And as mentioned are very impressive above 30hz, it's the last octave they are lacking in.

9. Chris Tabor

James, the vtf2 is nowhere near the rsw12. Absolutely no comparison.

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I should have been clearer in my post.

Backwards from the point of extension, NOT pure spl and slam from 30hz on up with the (RSW-12)... Most movies deeper bass dose fall in the 30hz area but more and more are coming out with subsonic bass, alas 20hz and down, just something to think about.

The VFT-2 has futher extension...

The RSW is a good looker for sure and is said to do music well, though placement sensitive sometimes.

11. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

This review tests the RSW-15 (among others). It graphically shows what everyone has been discussing: The RSW-15 takes a huge nosedive in bottom octave output, starting at about 32 Hz. It's safe to assume this characteristic will hold true for the RSW-12 and RSW-10, probably to the same or even greater extent.
    On the other hand, the reviewer was completely smitten with the sound quality of the RSW-15 above 30 Hz, even going so far to say it would be his favorite for music above 30 Hz. Again, it is probably safe to assume the sound quality of the RSW-12 is very similar.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2001.html
    Regards,
    Ed

12. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

If you listen to loud music buy the RSW, if you listen to home theatre, might look at some of the other models listed above, for the music impact and slam you will be hard pressed to beat the rsw15{ maybe a 12 also}
    Mark

13. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

As I said in another on of your post go with a velo, svs, or sunfire these subs all put out way better than the rsw. I have the velo hgs-10 and was gonna get rsw-12 until I saw the velo and this thing with blow the rsw away. You just don't know what your missing until you hear a sub that goes subsonic (even though you can't hear subsonic).

Daniel Smith

14. Jeff Ery

Jeff Ery Stunt Coordinator

"...
    ....I've just had the in store demo of all the Klipsch RSW line, I prefer my single SVS CS Ultra to any other commercial sub I've demoed. For HT their nothing short of OUTSTANDING!
    ...end quote......
    i doubt that most people here have done much in the way of blind comparisons between the hsu, svs,etc..(on-line and diy products) and the retail brands...My brother has (working as a retail/custom salesperson)gladly brought over several brands of subs he carries to the homes of poterntial customers after discussing their listening habits/preferances to demo against products they have purchased without demoing (ussually doing this while those customers still had the option of returning these products)...I have been present on two of these occaisions; my wife's brother had a powered cylinder from svs (20hz tuned?) and my brother brought in the rsw10...also my neighbor had an hsu that my brother demoed against a Rel Q201.....IN BOTH CASES THE HSU AND SVS did go lower on test tones and a couple of HT tracks that the customers had been told by others to run, however in most HT and almost all (excluding pipe -organ) music demos the other(retail) subs seemed more articulate and had better output at the "not quiet so low" bass that was in most of the recordings ...the point (which came across well in both contests ) was " are you going to use this sub for the 40- 90 seconds of low bass in 1 out of 30 movies or are you going to use this sub for music and HT IN REAL WORLD usual applications...in short do you need to impress yourself ,and others ,with the test tone demo, or are you concerned with the normal enjoyment of the overwhelming majority of your listening choices?
    For the record, my brother has a Rel Stadium (always on) and a diy dual 15"(one passive) made by a gentleman who tuned it for 16hz(run with a crown amp)that only is turned on for "certain" movies.....

15. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Im with James, the VTF-2 should have outperformed the rsw-12 easily. maybe the rsw-15 would be its equal. A vtf-3 would spank all 3.

16. Jeff Ery

Jeff Ery Stunt Coordinator

Geez, I should have proof read my last post...thankful for the edit feature...

17. mark rush

well guys if you pull out your Sound & vision 2003 buyers guide you will find on page 38 a test by Tom Nousaine, this was in his big room at a distance of 2 meters, He states " one of the best measuring subwoofers we've seen" more than 112 db at 32 hz, he also says it went down to 16hz. had 112 db av from 25 to 62 hz, well my friend that should beat a vtf-3, and this was the Klipsch rsw15 he tested read it for yourself, good article , what do you think?
    Mark

18. mark rush

Also Edward in the test you put the link up to, the reason the rsw15 did not test as well as the current test by Tom N is I believe that Brian has the sub either set up wrong or he had a weak, or defective unit, read the test by tom n that rsw15 is an animal if set up corectly

19. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I subscribe to S&V & have read that article. Has Tom N. done a review of the VTF-3 yet? I love my VTF-2, but its upgrade time for me. I am considering the RSW-15 because my whole HT system(besides the sub)is Klipsch Reference & I can get the RSW-15 for around $800. I wish there were more reviews out on the VTF-3 & the RSW-15

20. mark rush

well dollar per dollar the vtf-3 wins, the rsw15 might edge out the vtf-3, but for the money you could buy two of the vtf-3's for the price of one rsw15, I am looking for some new reviews of the vtf-3