got my Toshiba 50x81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stefan A, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Today was the day I have been waiting for. The Sears guys were excellent - although my heart jumped a few times as they carried the TV down 13 steps. Everything appears to be working as expected for a new RPTV. I haven't looked at a non-anamorphic dvd but have looked at some good ones. Pic quality, after using VE and doing the 9 pt. convergance is very good. After being used to direct view all my life, it's hard to say excellent - but here is where my questions begin.
    I know that in time, with proper adjustments and break in, the picture will get better. First, as a complete rookie to RPTV, how far can I actually go with Video Essevtials? I did the basic stuff in chapter 15, but there are dozens of other screens with test patterns I have no idea what to do with. Am I expected to know that stuff, or is that for an ISF guy?
    I have read Chris White's tweak site as well as many others. I can see myself doing a few of the things, but most of it seems beyond me. Are all these tweaks and adjustments things an ISF guy would do if I hired him? If so, I don't have to worry about it - right?
    I am noticing one problem so far. I see a faint horizontal line that "dances" across the top of the screen. It's about 3-4 inches from the very top. I may have detected the same thing at the bottom. It happens on cable TV as well as DVD's. Is there a name for this problem? Is there something I can do about it?
    Finally, in your opinion, are there any must tweaks that I can't live without at this early stage? Other than the VE and 9 pt. convergence which I have done?
    All in all, I think this will be a great set. But I have to rely on your expertise to get things going right. I have no frame of reference and no friends who are into this.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    Stefan Antwarg

2. Dan Crouthamel

Stefan,
    Congrats on the new set. 50H81, right? I'm still considering replacing my TW40X81 with it. I took a look at it last night at Best Buy.
    Since it is possible with these sets, I would recommend doing a 64 point convergence over the 9 point. Although a little more time consuming, it really does make a big difference.
    I'm not sure what the faint line could be .. never encountered that before.
    dan

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Congrat's Stefan!
    quote: I did the basic stuff in chapter 15[/quote]
    You should, at the very least, start @ Chapter 9 and take the time to listen to the instructions and perform all the adjustments from Chapter 9 to Chapter 14 (after a 30 min. warmup of course).
    I used initially PIC Mode: FULL to perform all the adjustments in CH. 9 to 14, then saved those settings. Then I changed the PIC Mode to Theater Wide #1, change those settings to what I had for FULL. Then, TW2, etc., saving the settings after each PIC Mode.
    I also did the 9pt conversion afterwards for each PIC Mode, and then saved the Preference again.
    quote: faint horizontal line that "dances" across the top of the screen. [/quote]
    I don't have that problem, so I'm not sure what causing that. Does it eventually go away, or is it constantly there while the set is on??
    Phil
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra
    [Edited last by Phil Iturralde on August 10, 2001 at 08:19 AM]

4. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Phil,
    I am curious why you needed to go into each pic mode and manually change the various settings. When I changed the settings in one mode, all the modes changed.
    I am pretty sure the lines were a poor connection. I have my cable going into the vcr and then into the tv. The connection on the vcr is loose, Also, it is a cheap brand vcr. When I shake the cables, the picture gets worse/better. This, of course, wouldn't explain why it happened on dvd. My guess is that all my cables, cords, wires, plugs... were all tangled and mixed up. Now that I have finished my rack and have the chords positioned a little better, the line is gone.
    Thanks
    Stefan

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

You're right - let's change that to 'each' INPUT mode!
    I check it last night, and once I was in INPUT HD1, changing the settings once, worked on ALL PIC Modes.
    Sorry about that! [​IMG]
    Phil
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra