What's new

got my Toshiba 50x81 (1 Viewer)

Stefan A

Second Unit
Today was the day I have been waiting for. The Sears guys were excellent - although my heart jumped a few times as they carried the TV down 13 steps. Everything appears to be working as expected for a new RPTV. I haven't looked at a non-anamorphic dvd but have looked at some good ones. Pic quality, after using VE and doing the 9 pt. convergance is very good. After being used to direct view all my life, it's hard to say excellent - but here is where my questions begin.
I know that in time, with proper adjustments and break in, the picture will get better. First, as a complete rookie to RPTV, how far can I actually go with Video Essevtials? I did the basic stuff in chapter 15, but there are dozens of other screens with test patterns I have no idea what to do with. Am I expected to know that stuff, or is that for an ISF guy?
I have read Chris White's tweak site as well as many others. I can see myself doing a few of the things, but most of it seems beyond me. Are all these tweaks and adjustments things an ISF guy would do if I hired him? If so, I don't have to worry about it - right?
I am noticing one problem so far. I see a faint horizontal line that "dances" across the top of the screen. It's about 3-4 inches from the very top. I may have detected the same thing at the bottom. It happens on cable TV as well as DVD's. Is there a name for this problem? Is there something I can do about it?
Finally, in your opinion, are there any must tweaks that I can't live without at this early stage? Other than the VE and 9 pt. convergence which I have done?
All in all, I think this will be a great set. But I have to rely on your expertise to get things going right. I have no frame of reference and no friends who are into this.
Thanks
------------------
Stefan Antwarg

Stefan,
Congrats on the new set. 50H81, right? I'm still considering replacing my TW40X81 with it. I took a look at it last night at Best Buy.
Since it is possible with these sets, I would recommend doing a 64 point convergence over the 9 point. Although a little more time consuming, it really does make a big difference.
I'm not sure what the faint line could be .. never encountered that before.
dan

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Congrat's Stefan!
quote: I did the basic stuff in chapter 15[/quote]
You should, at the very least, start @ Chapter 9 and take the time to listen to the instructions and perform all the adjustments from Chapter 9 to Chapter 14 (after a 30 min. warmup of course).
I used initially PIC Mode: FULL to perform all the adjustments in CH. 9 to 14, then saved those settings. Then I changed the PIC Mode to Theater Wide #1, change those settings to what I had for FULL. Then, TW2, etc., saving the settings after each PIC Mode.
I also did the 9pt conversion afterwards for each PIC Mode, and then saved the Preference again.
quote: faint horizontal line that "dances" across the top of the screen. [/quote]
I don't have that problem, so I'm not sure what causing that. Does it eventually go away, or is it constantly there while the set is on??
Phil
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra
[Edited last by Phil Iturralde on August 10, 2001 at 08:19 AM]

Stefan A

Second Unit
Phil,
I am curious why you needed to go into each pic mode and manually change the various settings. When I changed the settings in one mode, all the modes changed.
I am pretty sure the lines were a poor connection. I have my cable going into the vcr and then into the tv. The connection on the vcr is loose, Also, it is a cheap brand vcr. When I shake the cables, the picture gets worse/better. This, of course, wouldn't explain why it happened on dvd. My guess is that all my cables, cords, wires, plugs... were all tangled and mixed up. Now that I have finished my rack and have the chords positioned a little better, the line is gone.
Thanks
Stefan

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
You're right - let's change that to 'each' INPUT mode!
I check it last night, and once I was in INPUT HD1, changing the settings once, worked on ALL PIC Modes.
Sorry about that!
blush.gif

Phil
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks