What's new

Got my HK AVR8000 from OneCall (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that I recieved this unit today - I am a little anxious about setting it up as it is one of the dreaded Jan 2002 versions with the noted hiss in the Center Speaker - I hope OneCall and HK are not dumping these things on the market. I will keep you posted once I hook it up - keeping my fingers crossed that there is no hiss - anyone else get theirs yet and what year of production is it and do you have the hiss?

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
good luck daniel. it certainly is not in HK's or Onecalls best interest to dump defective units. I'm sure they would take care of you if it was defective. I don't think it would bother me as long as the hiss was not amplified as the volume increased. I mean, I don't listen to my stereo from 2 inches away.

How can you tell if it's a Jan 2002 ?
HK receivers have a product date sticker on the back

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I would have thought that all of the January 2002 receivers would have circulated through the market at this point in time. I guess not. Good luck getting your situation resolved, Daniel. :)

Well - it buzzez! DAMN! This seems like an outright con job. The buzz is minimal - I can't hear it unless I am about a foot from the speaker and it doesn't increase or decrease in volume no matter how high or low I put the volume setting on. It does this without anything playing. I have ruled out ground loops, etc. (I can switch any other speaker with the center channel and I get the buzz in that speaker). One Call will gladly replace it for me and send me another unit (no way to ensure that it is a different production date) - so this seems like a waste of time (and money shipping it back and forth) my only other option is to take it to an authorized repair shop to have it fixed (which doesn't seem right since it is brand new!).

I called Harmon tech support and the tech said that he has heard of this buzz and suggested that I get it exhanged or I can have it looked at under warranty. He said that they have heard of this "problem" but really consider it a non-problem since it doesn't increase in volume or disrupt the sound. He also stated that he did not think that all units from the Jan 2002 run have the problem (so it seems like they are aware of this even though Onecall stated that they didn't have any information about this from Harmon). Not sure what I am going to do - I may take it in to have it looked at since it is under warrenty just to see if they find a problem (that I can relay back here).

Has anyone else done this?

MarkCBake

Auditioning
Bummer, I just recieved my unit today as well but won't be able to set it up for a few weeks. I also recieved a HK PA200 amp to give me 7 channels. Can't beat the price $1500 including shipping for both. Considering it takes a forklift to carry the AVR8000, if my buzzes in the center channel, but not with increased volume, I'd keep it instead of trying to ship that beast. It must weigh 60 lbs. I'll try to set up some temp speakers and let you know. By the way mines a Jan 02 model as well...

Ahmose

Grip
I guess our fears have been correct, it certainly looks like onecall are trying to dump the Jan 2002 defective units on us. No wonder they extended the sale for another day.
Very shoddy and unprofessional if you ask me.
And to think that I've always held them in high regard.

in onecalls defense they offered to replace it (i just have to pay shipping back to them) but since I have an authorized repair shop about 15 minutes away - I have taken it in and should hear something in a day or 2. I will post as soon as I find out.

Mark - If you are think you might want your money back from onecall - I think there is a 15 day period - so you might want to unbox it and check it out!

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
All things considered it still is a pretty good deal. But if OneCall was/is doing this on purpose then that is not acceptable! However I don't like the fact that the cover is getiing cracked and it is new

Bruce.sb

Grip
Hey all i just wanted to let you know--i also got a HK8000 from onecall-- also a jan2002 and say it with me--- a buzz in the center channel---grrrrrrr. I talked to a rep named Mike-- he was very cool about the whole thing. Said to pack up and send it back== they would send me a new one or refund the money-- or apply the money to a new reciever. But i have to pay for the shipping back and insurance--- seems lame that we have to pay for their scam. Plus leaves a bad taiste in my mouth so not sure if i want another product from those clowns. Anyone have any ideas on what to get--- im a bit gun shy on the pioneer's with all the reading of them shutting down--- ive never been a onkyo fan but seems like alot like them-- and the 898 seems to be a pretty good deal. Hmmm any help would be great-- you can email me and [email protected] oh and i would tell anyone else thinking of getting the 8000-- you might want to rethink or go to your local dealer and see if they will match the price and just get it there-- happy holidays

Ahmose

Grip
Bruce,
It seems to me from their return policy on their website, that you should not have to pay ANY shipping:
Any goods (except DSS and Televisions*) which prove to be defective within fifteen days of delivery may be credited or exchanged for a replacement of the same model. OneCall will pay shipping costs for replacement merchandise. Simply call us at 1.800.340.4770 for a return authorization number. No returned merchandise will be accepted without a valid return authorization number on the shipping label.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I have one from the last sale, and it is a Feb. '02, which has NO hiss. I would be very upset to know that Onecall is still shipping that run knowing they are defective. As it is defective, Onecall should pay the return freight, and stopping shipping Jan.'02 units. It's unprofessional and smacks of dumping. H/K knows of the problem too, and it is doing their reputation no good either knowing they are letting defective units out on the market. They probably think only a small portion of their client base are knowledgable enough to realize this isn't normal. You shouldn't have to haul your receiver to the shop in the hopes their hit and miss repair tactics work by some miracle.

Hey Bruce,
I also talked with Mike. He is a nice guy but I don't think he is just doing returns, etc.
Did anyone else notice a flickering on the monitor out via S-video on thier units - I thought it was my TV but when I hooked back up to my old system (for another few days) it seems to be gone (could this be a ground loop affecting the TV? - It didn't do it through the RCA hookup.
Anyway - I asked the tech to look at this also. Will keep you posted when I get back my new/repaired unit!
I am a little frusturated about this whole thing but it sure is a good deal even with the humming. I was just ready to sit down and tinker and test for about 8 hours! :)

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
I'd tell em they either pay for shipping back since the units are defective, or file a chargeback with your CC company. they'll get charged for that. The merchant gets the bill from VISA/MS/AMEX etc when a chargeback is filed (it takes time and there is paperwork involved). you shouldnt have to pay to ship back a defective unit. That is stinky for them to dump damaged goods on ppl. I didn't realize you could hear it a foot away. If that's the case that is AUDIBLE

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
How depressing to hear about the 8000s! Can't anyone make bug free electronics anymore? Originally, I really wanted to buy a Rotel 1066 but they are hit or miss with issues so I gave up on them and was looking to the 8000. Looks like I'll pass on the 8000s as well. Had a Yamaha that worked fine but could not stand the stereo sound. Bugs with the Onkyos seem to be a topic as well.

Wish I could get a B&K Ref 50 for under 2 grand. (or is that buggy too.)

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
i've not had any issues really with my hk receiver. i've never noticed any problem with DTS, for the few movies that actually use it.

Bruce.sb

Grip
Ahmose

when i talked to onecall they said the way it works is i send it back and pay for shipping-- and i want a new unit they pay for shipping of that unit back to me but if i want a refund the i have to eat the shipping back to them. Seems lame

Rick_FL
It wasnt me that said i could hear it a foot away---it was the other guys-- i could hear it 3-5 feet away-- lol so eaither i have superman ears or this unit bites the big one.

But now what do i get-- does anyone have any ideas? I liked the sound of HK but how can i support a company that knows of this problem and yet dumps them on us instead of doing the right thing -- eating those units and making new good ones. They lost me that is for sure.HMmmm might have to get a lexicon mc1 and just end all of this-though i guess HK owns those guys too--hmmmm now im screwed--lol

does anyoneknow if they jbl sythisis model that is supposed to be a mc1--is it really a true mc1 with jbl badges on it?

Wes King

Auditioning
I received my AVR 8000 from OneCall today. It has no buzz and a Feb 2000 build date. If my unit is any indication OneCall may have some other units with a build date other than Jan 2000 for folks that want to exchange. It appears there are many more units with a Jan 2000 build date in circulation, so a refund may be the best option if the buzz is that distracting.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
For those of you who have to ship the receiver back to OneCall, FedEx Ground shipping will be the cheapest method for you. UPS Ground shipping rates are higher. If you're going to ship it back, do so before 1/6/2003 as additional rate hikes of approximately 3.5% will go into effect.

If you're getting a replacement receiver from OneCall, I'd request them to open up the receiver and check the manufacturing date. Tell them you'll take anything except a January 2002 receiver. If you don't make this request, then you could easily get another bad receiver - and have to go through the shipping options again.

I was reading over at AVSForum where one individual has a local authorized dealer selling the 8000 for under $1,000. The user didn't have their profile active, so I couldn't pin-point a location. However, with such a heavy receiver - at a price point lower than OneCall's - buying locally may not be such a bad option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks