What's new

Goonies sales are nuts! (1 Viewer)

Andy_S

Second Unit
I went to Best Buy today and they had 1 copy left on the new release section. Then I walked over the the "family film" section to see if they had any there and there were none (there was a Goonies price label, but no DVD's)! I checked amazon.com and it's #5 on their DVD sales chart! So, let's do some quick math:
Goonies (A Warner Bros "family film") is a widescreen only release. It is #5 on the Amazon sales chart. Willy Wonka (Also a WB "family film") is a Full Frame only release. It is #19 on the Amazon sales chart. Coincidence?
------------------
Check out my home-built mame cabinet here!
[Edited last by Andy_S on August 21, 2001 at 05:13 PM]

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
This is a great release if you are a fan of the film. I highly recommend it, if for nothing else, that WB sees that a "family" film can be released OAR and still sell!
Plus, 80's wrestling stars in music videos? Now THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
So true. Best Buy OUTt. Border's (I figured no one would go there) OUT. One left at the mall :)
The BB guy said they ordered 24 (!) and that they were gone in the first hour. Welcome to our world, Warner. And thanks for the great disc (all hail Donner and his insistence on WS). Can't wait to watch it tonight
wink.gif

Chuck
P.S. Border's did yield a Cocteau B&TB and Passion of Joan of Arc!

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I was surprised at this as well - I stopped by my local Circuit City at lunch and snagged one of the last few copies available. The salesperson was surprised, saying "So many people have been asking for that"
I have a suspicion that a lot of people my age are buying it (mid-20s...man am I that old now??)
Thank goodness it's widescreen!
------------------

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Best Buy today and noticed the same thing. There were a million Hannibal's and it looked like none were missing. However, there were only like 5 Goonies left in the whole store. I'm glad I got one.
------------------
Stephen

TSOLfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Sprigler
My local Circuit City didn't have a single copy in stock. When I asked a sales person, they were like "Goonies what?" They checked the book and they had no record of it coming out today and no idea when or if they would receive any.
I took a trip to the Target next door and they had a space for them, but they were all sold out.
Took another trip to the K-Mart across the road, and they had two hidden amongst a number of other DVD's, so I snagged one.
Time to retire my original widescreen laserdisc (which has much better artwork IMO).
------------------
Suspicion breeds confidence.
My DVD Collection

Mike A

Agent
The BB guy said they ordered 24
Ughh, same at my Best Buy, they only ordered 24. I guess they underestimated the demand for this. I got a rain check along with another person looking for the same thing. Circuit City doesn't even have it, called Walmart they don't have it either. Oh well, I'll wait for them to restock it I guess.
Did pick up Batman for 12.99 though
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City...out!
Best Buy...6 left!
Camelot (now "FYE")...3 left after I snagged my copy there for $17.99 (little note: they had Gump out where I could see it, and even reach over and snag a copy of it...it was marked for the $19.99 sale price and everything! But, when I went to get it rung up, they did the right thing and refuse to sell it to me due to Street Date policy. I played dumb and tried to talk them into it...but they stuck to their guns and NICELY explained why they couldn't do it. After 13 years as a retail store manager, I'll say this: although they should've been a bit more careful to not get into that situation, they handled the situation 100% the best way they could have...Kudos! They did the right thing the right way. Now, what does "FYE" stand for?)
I will watch Goonies in the next couple of days, but have skimmed through the disc enough to realize that I have a real jewel here. THANK YOU RICHARD DONNER FOR INSISTING ON WIDESCREEN OAR!!!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

JoeK

Auditioning
If anyone is looking for Goonies I was at Costco today and they had a ton of them and I think it was 19.99.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Does anyone know where we can get some official numbers on how many have sold??
------------------

james p

Auditioning
Just to chime in:
I had to go to FOUR stores, and when I finally found it, there was only one copy left. Went to Best Buy- nope. Tower Records- nope. Borders- Nope. Target- one copy.
I had a horrible thought: can you imagine the outrage if Goonies was Pan n scan? I consider myself a fairly level headed DVD fanatic, but I would have ABSOLUTELY LOST IT.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Best Buy and Circuit City in Oklahoma are all sold out. Every Wal-Mart except for ONE didn't get any in their shipments. And the Wal-Mart that did have them had them locked up and stated only 3 people had the key to that area (Im wondering if they were bullshitting me). One of the Wal-Marts went to say that it hasn't been released yet. I want my copy of Goonies!!!!!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I got my copy a few days ago in the mail from www.dvdempire.com
They're pretty damn good and, they seem to always ship the titles a few days in advance so that I get them on the day it goes on sale at the stores.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Same story here -- went to three different Best Buys, two Circuit City's and a Wal-Mart before I got ahold of the very last copy that my local Target store had!
This is crazy! I love this movie, but I had NO idea that this many people were waiting for it!
cool.gif

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Costco is the place to go...lots of copies available.
- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

Andy_S

Second Unit
Wow! Now it's #4 on the Amazon DVD sales list. It just beat out The Godfather.
------------------

Greg Black

Second Unit
Hmm, that's strange... I too went to several different stores before getting the last copy at Target.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks