What's new

Google Chromecast with Google TV (1 Viewer)

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Good day HTF.

Seems a good place to discuss the new streamer from Google.

Bought the new Google TV device at of all places Home Depot yesterday and had a few minutes to you around with it. So far it is a nice change from Roku but still early stages of review.

Has anyone else here used one yet? What are your thoughts?

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Going on 2 weeks of use and so far I'm a fan. I haven't used my Roku since the switch. Menus are very nice to navigate, having the Google Assistant on the remote is very handy to jump to a show, or dim the lights in the house.

Worth the upgrade.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I ordered one from Best Buy on launch day and received it by that Saturday. It seems like a solid little device and I'm enjoying the new launcher more than anything else (on some other devices as well). There are, unfortunately, from a Home Theater perspective, some major apps with major missing features that are working on other Android TV devices... so hopefully, those catch up and it becomes a little more fully formed. I'm going to post my full review to the Front Page in the next day or two, so keep an eye out.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, anybody try running HBO Max to see if it outputs 5.1?

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, anybody try running HBO Max to see if it outputs 5.1?

It does. However occasionally, with my setup, it drops back to stereo (for hbomax, prime and netflix). Sometimes in stereo the sound is out of sync as well. I've been restarting to fix which seems to work. Not sure if it's the device or something about my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks