What's new

good reciever in $500 range (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
Kyle :) share the emotion.. i have big grin pasted on my face as i write this even.. a friend had come over the weekend and he just couldnt stop gushing over and over again about the system hehehe.. i just cant wait for the day to end and rush back home today..
Thanks for the wishes Wayne :) I also noticed that the manual said that the presence speakers are activated only during DSP modes.. so you are probably right that they arent used in PLIIx.. But then again, i think it might be possible to run the reciever in PLIIX and then apply a DSP on top of that like say Spectacle.. if that it possible then i guess Presence speakers would comeinto play, i do have extra polk speakers lying around from the last system which i plan to use in my bedroom now, guess i would try them out and see what advantage they give.. but somehow i feel it wont be a big difference.. let me know if you experiment with those and how you felt, looking fwd to the Burn in of the reciever as you mentioned and the new speakers as well and see how much difference i notice.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Daman,

I'm sure you'll notice more sound changes from the speakers - once they have been broken in. The sound changes from the Yamaha will be a bit more subtle.

This weekend, I read a review of the Yamaha RX-V1400 in one of the theater mags at Barnes and Noble. I think it was "The Perfect Vision" - but, don't hold me to it. There was one comment in the review that I took note of. With the CD/DVD player that they were using, they used the processing on the receiver to handle the PCM signal and PCM processing on the CD/DVD player itself. According to the reviewer, the sound was better using the processing on the receiver. I don't recall which player was being used, though. I'll need to read the review again to see if I can understand what the reviewer was leading to.

Essentially, though, I'm assuming from the review, the sound using "2 Ch Stereo" was better because of the use of the PCM/DSP on the Yamaha as opposed to running the receiver in "direct" mode where you would not be adding any coloration to the sound on the Yamaha side, but would be receiving a slightly colored signal from the CD/DVD player because of the processing handled by the player.

I'll check out the review again this week and post a better summary regarding the PCM part. :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
OK, the review of the RX-V1400 is actually posted on-line. Here's the paragraph that I was referring to:

Source: July/August 2004 Issue of The Perfect Vision magazine.

Link to full review:

The Perfect Vision

Joseph.P

Auditioning
I have been saving up to buy the rx-v2400, however after reading this thread it seems like the 1400/5790 are equally capable? Am I better off holding out for the 2400 or would the 1400/5790 work out just as well? I'm looking to make the purchase this coming weekend, hoping to catch some holiday specials.

Daman

Second Unit
Wayne :) i always have loved the yamahas DSP's and that was one of the reasons my third reciever is still a yamaha :D thanks for the valuable bit of info.. am gonna pop in hotel california tonight and listen to its guitars with both the modes
Joseph, if you follow this thread from the start its been said that the RXV1400 and HTR5790 are the same and use the same circuitry too, Muneeb even confirmed this from the local Yamaha Manager in his area, only difference is in the looks of both the recievers. The RXV is probably better looking with its Garage Door look. I havent heard the 2400 but i think Muneeb owns it and he would be able to comment on the difference between a 1400/5790 and a 2400.. though i think for the price at which 5790 is available online its a real steal :D All the best
PS: Its a pity we cant use DPS's on SACD's...while we can on the DVD-A's :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks