What's new

good reciever in $500 range (1 Viewer)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Daman, the RX-V1400 and HTR-5790 are exactly the same receiver under the hood; this is what I was told by a Service Manager at Yamaha Canada. The only difference is actually in the aesthetics of the receivers. The RX-V1400 has a metallic/steel volume knob and other dials that look a lot tougher than the plastic ones found on the 5790. Also, the RX-V1400 has a little garage door within which are hidden controls as well as the front panel s-video/composite/optical video/audio input.

As for the difference between the 5790 and 5760, there is much more than just the extra power. Here's what you lose if you downgrade to the 5760 from the 5790:
- No video upconversion (composite->s-video->component). The 5760 only offers composite->s-video upconversion.
- No Parametric EQ
- No manual Graphic EQ, only a center channel manual EQ
- Less power, at higher distortion; can't guarantee that it'll sound the same as the RX-V2400/RX-V1400/HTR-5790. It only has 95w @ 0.06% THD, whereas the higher-end models are 110w/120w @ 0.04% THD. The 5760 may sound different, and may even sound more like the 5740 and less like the RX-V2400/RX-V1400
- Not THX Select certified (I personally don't give a rat's ass about THX certification)
- Doesn't have 8 pre-outs for future formats
- Weighs 6 kg less

Just for the record, I have an RX-V2400 and I've heard the HTR-5740 and the sound is quite different. I think the 5760 probably sounds more like the 5740 but with more power. The 5790/RX-V1400/RX-V2400 are more powerful and sound more neutral. The cheaper models sound a little brighter to my ears.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=21
My DVD Collection

Chris Brock

Second Unit
no i think kyle ment that the 1400 was simply a more attractive loking reciever. I however personallyprefer the HTR's.

As far as the 5760 vs. the 5790. I auditioned both of them and I could not hear any difference in sound other then the 5790 might have had a slight advantage in the volume. however at the volume level it took before I noticed a difference you woudl have probebly lost your hearing if you watched an entire film at that level. the 2 major differencs that I can see are the component upconversion and the tru YPAO with the full parametric portion. If you wont be using the reciever for video swithcing and dont like to use a lot of eq in your sound systems then the 5760 would be by far the best value IMHO. that is how I based my decision and I have no regreats about not going with the 5790. The 5760 has really blown me away and I believe the features that it offers for the price are the best value in the market right now.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
you beat me!!!!! haha

however I do beg to differ on that note. the 5760 does have a full set of preouts.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Muneeb and Chris. Well for one i think the 5760 is not 95 watts but 110 watts per ch and the the 5790 is 140 wpc(though of course these might not be near the actual outputs), now one more dumb question :D what do the parametric and graphic equalizers do?? Is it something related with the YPAO?
I'll guess i have to audition both the recievers since both of you seem to have heard the recievers differently :) Im gonna run these on Energy setup which isnt bright as such so i should be ok if 5760 sounds a bit brighter than 5790 i guess.. suggestions,comments :)

Chris Brock

Second Unit
the 5760 soudned more like the 5790 then the the lower htr models IMO. If I had to guess I woudl say the amps are of the same design btu I would defitnyl suggest listening to both, you might hear somethign that I didtn.

Well everyone was so helpful that by the time I get a chance to reply it's all been said!

I don't think you can go wrong with the 5760. That's what I was planning on getting all along until I started surfing around for actual street prices. I then concluded that the 5790 wasn't 'that' much more so I sprung for it. Daman- if you shop around I think you'll find the difference to be less than $300.

I auditioned the 5760 and thought it sounded great. I was worried about the "bright" reputation. My speakers have the same "bright" reputation so I was especially worried about the marriage of the two. In my opinion neither the receiver (nor my speakers / Axiom) sound bright to me- very neutral.

I have not yet heard them together yet. In fact I never heard the 5790 before buying. The receiver arrived today.

In summary, I think 5760 is truly the best "bang for the buck". All purchases have diminishing returns for the extra cost. For me, I decided that paying extra for the 5790 felt like a "splurge" but anything beyond that would be extravagant. I realize everyone draws that line differently.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Daman, the higher wattage ratings for the 5760 and 5790 are wattage claims at higher distortions and are being used by Yamaha solely for better marketing. There is no way in hell that the HTR-5790 hits 140 watts at 0.04% THD, it clearly says in the 5790's manual that it hits only 110 watts at 0.04% THD but 140 watts at higher THD. If I were you, I wouldn't expect the 5790 to hit 140 watts or anywhere near that, aim for 110 watts and even that is being optimistic. The same goes for the 5760, which will only hit 95 watts at 0.06% THD. This is coming from an owner of an RX-V2400 that claims to hit 120 watts at 0.04% THD. Don't get me wrong, my Yamaha has proven time and time again that it has plenty of power, but 140 watts is just ridiculous, and I don't think mine hits more than 80-90 watts with 3 front channels being driven.

The 5760 is a great bang-for-the-buck receiver, I'm not denying that, but you have to think about what you gain if you move up to the 5790. Having played with my Parametric EQ quite a bit and having tried it on 2 different sets of speakers, I think it alone is worth the extra cost for the 5790, and then add to that the fact that you get more cleaner power, video upconversion, etc.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=27
My DVD Collection

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Chris, I really don't think the amps in the 5760 are the same as the 5790, just consideriing the 3-4 kg less weight of the 5760. The 5790 has the same power-amp section as the RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 receivers. I believe Yamaha made a smaller power-amp section for the 5760, and the lower HTR models (5750 and 5740) are most likely based off of the 5760 (smaller power-amp sections than the 5760).

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=29
My DVD Collection

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Actually that would be interesting to know really. When I listened to them I listened to the 5790, 5760, 5750 and 5740 and I felt that it was clear that the 5740 and 50 shared similar sonic characteristics while the 5760 and 5790 also sounded similar. There is no doubt that the 5790 does have a beefier setup but I have a feeling that the basic design is shared between the 60 and 90. You are correct about the parametric eq though, if there was one thing that did tempt me to go with the 5790 it was the full eq.

However when making my decision I was less concerned with power output because I am planning to go with outboard amps this summer.
:D ;)

ps. MuneebM your sig is awesome!

Daman

Second Unit
Wow! Thanks for that info on parametric eq and YPAO Muneeb and going by the link you sent it seems that YPAO is better than graphic and parametric eq's, and both these recievers have YPAO. I agree with you on the actual output being no where closed to the specified figures.. but i would be comfortable going with the yamahas cause i already have owned two of those.. currently have a 5650, so am familiar with their setup and options etc..
Hey Kyle, where all would you suggest i look for the recievers apart from ebay? Any online store you can suggest where i can get good deals on these guys? Thanks a ton all of you.. you really have helped me a lot on this.. all this feedback is just fabulous :D

Daman-

just to be clear, the 5760's YPAO is a dumbed down version of the full-blown YPAO that the 5790 and above has.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff, but I am concerned enough that my room isn't the "ideal" setup that I'm looking forward to every piece of help I get.

I bought from datavision. The website is datavis between the www and .com (I can't post links).

It is my first time ordering from them, but I chose them because:
a. they are an authorized seller of Yamaha products, so no warranty issues
b. their price was awesome

I ordered on Sat and it arrived today.

Good luck and let us all know what you end up doing.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
For me the difference is that the 5760 doesn't have a phono input if you've got a Turntable. Too bad Yamaha din't make a model between the 5760 & the 5790 that had one because there seems to be a big gap in price between the 60 & the 90 and they could have used another model up from the 60 like a 5770 or a 5780.

Daman

Second Unit
Wow!! Thanks for THIS tip Kyle, the price these guys offered is just awesome!! This really was something!! I think ill go for the 5790 in this case then as cause its just a wee little more than my estimated budget :D You made my day, ill let you all know how it goes once it comes in and probably look for inputs of how to set it up too!!
Thanks Again all of you!!
Daman

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Daman, the YPAO on the 5760 is missing the Parametric EQ and does not even offer a manual graphic EQ, but only a manual center channel EQ. I am also not suggesting that you don't go with a Yamaha just because their power claims are over-rated, I was just explaining to you to ignore the 140 watt claim for the 5790. I myself bought a Yamaha RX-V2400 because I thought it was far better than all the HarmanKardon receivers I had auditioned and I am extremely happy with my Yamaha. Having played with the Parametric EQ and tried it I think it really can help the sound of your speakers in your room - it definitely brought out more midrange out of my speakers.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=34
My DVD Collection

Well, I asked them and they said they were.

I do have an email as proof, if that does me any good :frowning:

Let's hope it doesn't break.

Here was their response to my email:
-----------------------------
We are Yamaha authorized and the 1 year warranty would be honored in
the
US , our current price is 549.99 and 14.11 for shipping to Mass

Keith

888-888-2087 x 708
----------------------

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Muneeb,if you can let us know about the Authorized dealer part then i can decide where to buy it from as well.. and Kyle i would be eager to hear your inputs on the reciever once you get it and hook it up!! Please post up with ur exp.
PS: I just love your changing ROTK signature images

Daman

Second Unit
Just noticed the difference between those two isnt that much cause etronics is charging 529+35(shipping)- 564 whereas from datavis it comes out to around 568 bucks.. their shipping is cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks