What's new

Good reciever for College and Home? (1 Viewer)

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a bit conflicted right now. I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR501 and it has served me well, but I'm getting the upgrade bug a bit. Now, I'm a senior in high school right now, and am going to college in August (University of Michigan, Go Wolverines!). I would like to buy something rather portable. At home, it will be driving a full 5.1 surround sound (don't really care about 6.1 or 7.1 right now). All Polk speakers (I love their tweaters and the rather laid back sound). At college, I will be driving 2 speakers (Polk RTi6 ) which are able to bi-wire/bi-amp, but I have yet to take advantage of this. Thus, I would like a powerful reciever, but light and easier to move. This , of course, has led me to look at the Panasonic XRx0 series. I actually almost ended up buying the XR70, but just didn't want to spend $400 just YET. I'm also looking at the Pioneer 1014 and the (upcoming) 1015tx. I've also got an eye on the JVC digital recievers that are coming. I would like some suggestions at what would be the best route to go.

Requirements:
Good power
Component switching (at least 2 in, prefer 3)
4 digital-ins or more (at least 3 optical)

Not too bad, huh? Here are some things that I like that many other recievers have:

The Panny XR70 can bi-amp my fronts
The JVC can swtich HDMI (not sure if I want to spend THAT much though)
I would really like to have full 5.1 pre-outs
A well laid out (universal) remote
Auto-calibration with multiple configs (1014)
SACD/DVD-A

Also, I like how digital amps are small and put off less heat, but I'm willing to compromise (for example, the 1014) if it just is better. Do I seem to be on the right track? I've also seen the Denon 2105, but still doing research. I would really like some suggestions. I've got no less than 4 recievers in mind, and am not really sure how to limit them down.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Panasonic XR line or the HK line up to the 635. Great value for your dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks