What's new

Good inexpensive receiver (1 Viewer)

Khary

Auditioning
Any recomendations on a good inexpensive receiver, $200-$300 range? It needs to have at least 5 inputs for audio and video as well as component, s-video, optical and coaxil inputs. Is this even realistic for an inexpensive receiver?

Thanks.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
The Radio Shack STAV receivers are a good deal, IMO. I have a STAV-3990 which is now on sale at my local RS for $180. It has most of the features the Onkyo just referred to has, plus component video switching, but only Dolby ProLogic I (not II). The RS web site has a more recent model for $250 that does have ProLogic II.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that the better Radio Shack receivers are made by pioneer. For $300, you can pick up a Pioner VSX-D811S online. It has all of the current sound formats, a ton of features, a solid amp section, and is very well liked on this forum. It even has support for a 7.1 speaker setup. This means, if you wanted on down the road, you could pick up a pair of JBL N28s or N38s for new mains, and move your main N24s to the back for a 7.1 speaker setup. I have this exact setup and love it. I'm no longer using the 811S because i had the chance fot a free upgrade (long story), but the 811S is a great receiver, and tough to beat for less than $400.

Hope this helps.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
THe best low cost receivers that I've seen are the Panasonic SA-HE100 & the Pioneer 811. The Panasonic can be had for $250 delivered from internet stores & the Pioneer can be had delivered for around $300. Both of these receivers have been getting good reviews & can handle ALL of the new surround sound formats. The Panasonic has a phono input if that's important to you but the Pioneer has a much better remote control . If you can go the $300 I would go for the Pioneer. For pictures & specs. on these receivers go to www.crutchfield.com

Bill Will

Screenwriter
From just a quick check of the specs, the RCA looks to be a clone of the Pioneer VSX-D710S which Crutchfield was selling for $299 Also Radio Shack at one time was selling this RCA model for $349.99 so for $149 I don't think you can go wrong with this receiver. If I was you I would buy it & test it out for yourself & if you don't like it return it & RS has a great no questions asked policy on returns. You might also want to try a post asking people what they think of the Pioneer 710S

Khary

Auditioning
I just bought the stav 3990 from RS for an open box price of $129 with a an extra year on my warranty. Works pretty well for me and has all the features i wanted.

Thanks for the feedback

My brother has a Panasonic SA-HE100 and ti works great. He likes lots of power (bass head), and it gives it. Every review i've read on it say that it is one of the best bang for the buck recievers out there. I haven't heard it on anything other than a sony 5.1 setup that he bought but the overall sound is great.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Radio Shack 3390 is a Pioneer 710 clone. The Radio Shack 4090 is a pioneer 711 clone. For $150, that's a really great deal. If you don't want DTS-ES and DD-EX for 6.1, then i would grab the 4090.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks