What's new

Wireless Speakers - Will This Arrangement Ever Work? (1 Viewer)

Rick Shepherd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I have a Pioneer VSX-322 and the surround back speakers are connected from the Pre Out connections to the AUX input on a Mitsubishi M-P04 Pre Amp which is then connected to a Mitsubishi M-A04 Power Amp. The speakers are then connected to the Power Amp. This works fine.However, I have an inexpensive wireless AV transmitter/receiver set which I would like to use for the SB speakers but if I connect the transmitter to the Pre Outs on the Pioneer and the receiver to the AUX input on the Pre Amp I just get a very loud hum from the speakers.I know that the wireless set works OK because if I connect the transmitter to the AV outputs on my set-top box the audio comes out of the speakers just fine.I'm sure that there is a very good explanation as to why this won't work. Could you please advise?

Rick Shepherd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Thanks HTF Expert, I had a feeling that it was something like that, but good to get a second opinion.

The manual for the AV transmitter is not very helpful - the most technical that it gets is to say connect red RCA cable to red output/input and white RCA cable to white output/input. No mention of pre-outs and line levels.

Do you think that there is likely to be any way to use the wireless set to send the sound to the SB speakers?
Using other equipment between the receiver and the speakers, perhaps?

I believe the Audio Surround Back Pre Out RCA sockets are giving out too much power to the Wireless AV transmitter.... thus the Humm.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You could place a small amp on the receiver side of the wireless, and then connect the transmitter to than. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397126706&sr=8-3&keywords=stereo+amplifier+home
I believe the Audio Surround Back Pre Out RCA sockets are giving out too much power to the Wireless AV transmitter.... thus the Humm.
The pre-out is line level, so if the level is the problem, it's because the pre-out is not providing enough power for the transmitter to recognize it as a signal.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Preouts are NOT line level...Well, they are...if you turn the volume all the way up.Preouts...has never been line level. If it were, it wouldn't be usable for amp gain.By the way. Why are you using the pre amp from the preouts?The Pio SB preouts should be connecting straight to the amp.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Preouts are NOT line level...
My bad. I've always used that to mean "not amplified". It seems I have used it incorrectly.

I think my main point is still correct, I think the transmitter is expecting a fully amplified signal.

Rick Shepherd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Well, for some reason this morning, the hum has gone to be replaced by very low audio from the source and a LOT of 'white noise'.

If I use a cable connection from the receiver to the PreAmp and then put the wireless set between the PreAmp and the PowerAmp, is that likely to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks