What's new

Good Home Theater Projector? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Rey

Auditioning
Am looking for a good front projection HD television with great resolution and brightness for around $3000 to $4000. Must have 16x9 aspect ratio and good line doubling built in. Went to Sony showcase store last night and saw their VPL-HS20; it was impressive(gave that film look that I'm after) but was on the dim side and luminance a little oversaturated. The salesman said the bulb had a lot of hours on it and also that a newer model was being released soon. Can anyone 1) suggest a good unit as well as a good large projection screen(or material since I would build my own)? Thank you.

Jeff

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
I'll bet they showed you the HS10 instead of the HS20. The HS20 will start shipping in the states any day now. The 20 is reported to be brighter, have better contrast, and a nearly perfect gray scale curve (that accounts for color and image accuracy).

From all reports so far, the HS20 looks like a simply phenominal projector for the price. And even at its relatively low price point offering up 90% of the picture quality you get with the $10K DLP machines.

I don't think anything near its price will be able to touch it. MSRP is $3500 but will soon be able to find it around in the $2000's.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I always read these stellar reviews on the sony HS10. However, I also read alot of people had problems with lamps exploding on the HS10. I don't know if that issue has ever been resolved or with the HS20 it's a non issue.It sounds expensive to be forced to change a lamp before it's time.

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
The lamps didn't explode, but there were problems with them going prematurely bad in the first batches. For most people Sony replaced the lamps under warranty fortunately. I also got my HS10 among the first ones shipping and never had a problem.

My only current problem is that there's an HS20 out now that definitely outperforms it. But despite knowing mine's now dated, I still use it constantly and still love the picture it's throwing.

Jeff_Rey

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback. I've reserved an HS20 and should be picking it up tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. One point I'm concerned about is that when I saw it in the Sony showroom there was a $999 progressive scan DVD player feeding it. Are all progressive DVD players equal or do some put out a smoother picture? I'm thinking that if I get the HS20 I'll just pick up a $200 prog scan player and feed it with that. Your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks