Good Budget Component Cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan S, May 19, 2002.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

OK, just got an X-Box with the component connection but have to run it directly to the TV as the X-Box hi-def pack only came with one set of cables.
    I'm going to be getting into more component switching in the future when I upgrade my present DVD and wondering where good sources of cabling could be. I went to www.bettercables.com, and their one meter run of component was $99, a little more than I wanted to spend. I saw some Monster stuff at my local BB but I think Monster is a little overpriced as well. Does Radio Shack have a good cable? Any other suggestions I am not thinking about. I'm looking for a 1 meter run in the neighborhood of no more than $50. Thanks.

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Evan,
    If you haven't already, check out this thread
    Bill

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you are running Progressive Signals, make sure you are using cables that are rated for the higher frequency. Component Video cables will appear to work, but may be doing some roll-off.
    Scroll down in this thread for a quick price comparison of internet sites that will make you some Canare/Belden cables.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=69140

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'm not running progressive signals, but will be in the future, so this cable cannot be bandwidth limited. Thanks guys for the links....much appreciated.[​IMG]

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You can also go to places like www.milestek.com. I think a decent set of component cables is $29.95.

6. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Check out RhinoCables.com they are selling a 1m Belden 1694a component set for $36.95!

Top of the line broadcast cable for a great price. I use longer runs (3m and 9m) and prefer them to Canare.

7. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I have a 2 meter run of BetterCables Ultra Component cables I am willing to sell. It is rated for the higher bandwith required for HD.

Excellent condition and I will ship them to you for $55. The list as new was $99. This is not the Serpent series, but top quality Canare.

Just thought I would throw this out there. ;^) e-mail me if interested. Good Luck.

BOK

8. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

FYI. The Belden 1694a cable has better shielding, higher bandwidth capacity (3GHZ), higher velocity of propagation, lower capacitance than the Canare L5/V5 series. Canare is rumoured to be still working on a competing product. If you want something that is close to the performance of the Belden cable you will have to look at Comscope or Gepco brands. Check out the full specs and features of these cables before buying at the MFG web sites:

Canare.com

Belden.com

Gepco.com

The following sell Canare cables:

Heartlandcables.com, CScables.com, Bluejeanscable.com, Wickedcables.com, Cobaltcables.com, Kustomcables.com

The following sell Belden cables:

Bluejeanscable.com, RhinoCables.com, Wickedcables.com

The folowing sell Gepco cables:

Avcable.com

Gepco.com